LED Headlights

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Reply
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-30-2020, 08:44 AM
laboutj laboutj is offline
Member
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 77
Thanks: 1
Thanked 56 Times in 26 Posts
Default LED Headlights

For anyone that changed over their Yamaha cart halogen headlights to LED headlights, was it worth making the change? Were they that much brighter? TIA
  #2  
Old 12-30-2020, 09:08 AM
dewilson58's Avatar
dewilson58 dewilson58 is offline
Sage
Join Date: May 2013
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Posts: 7,133
Thanks: 390
Thanked 3,879 Times in 1,460 Posts
Default

My "newer" ride has LED headlights.....love them.


I installed a LED light bar on my "older" cart.
Great improvement.
BUT......properly aim the bar & put a separate switch on it so you can dim with on-coming traffic.


There are so many bonehead with light bars and they never dim for on-coming traffic.
LED is not needed with traffic.


__________________
Mr. Helpful
  #3  
Old 12-30-2020, 09:17 AM
laboutj laboutj is offline
Member
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 77
Thanks: 1
Thanked 56 Times in 26 Posts
Default

Thanks, I normally don't have an issue with the halogen headlights. Only place it's been an issue so far is on the MMP heading towards Lake Deaton plaza, past the entrance to Osceola. It's dark in that area and if there are no cars on Morse it's really dark.
  #4  
Old 12-30-2020, 09:21 AM
tophcfa's Avatar
tophcfa tophcfa is offline
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Wherever I happen to be.
Posts: 2,699
Thanks: 1,249
Thanked 2,807 Times in 883 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by laboutj View Post
For anyone that changed over their Yamaha cart halogen headlights to LED headlights, was it worth making the change? Were they that much brighter? TIA
Well worth it, not only better visibility but they draw almost no juice from your battery. Before I had LED’s, the lights would dim when the cart was stopped and brighten when the motor/alternator was engaged. Also, when the lights were on, the current draw would heat up the light switch, but not with LED’s. As Dewi pointed out, just make sure the LED’s are not pointed such that they are blinding to drivers passing in the other direction.
  #5  
Old 12-30-2020, 09:38 AM
laboutj laboutj is offline
Member
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 77
Thanks: 1
Thanked 56 Times in 26 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Well worth it, not only better visibility but they draw almost no juice from your battery. Before I had LED’s, the lights would dim when the cart was stopped and brighten when the motor/alternator was engaged. Also, when the lights were on, the current draw would heat up the light switch, but not with LED’s. As Dewi pointed out, just make sure the LED’s are not pointed such that they are blinding to drivers passing in the other direction.
I notice this on my cart as well, headlight switch gets really hot.
  #6  
Old 12-30-2020, 09:45 AM
tophcfa's Avatar
tophcfa tophcfa is offline
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Wherever I happen to be.
Posts: 2,699
Thanks: 1,249
Thanked 2,807 Times in 883 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by laboutj View Post
I notice this on my cart as well, headlight switch gets really hot.
My Yamaha is a 2014. I think they put in a switch designed for LED’s but did not install LED lights. I used to joke that the switch made a great hand warmer, but it no longer gets hot with the LED’s.
  #7  
Old 12-30-2020, 09:51 AM
laboutj laboutj is offline
Member
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 77
Thanks: 1
Thanked 56 Times in 26 Posts
Default

Ha, mine is a 2014 as well. Looks like I'll be shopping for some headlights and a light bar.
  #8  
Old 12-30-2020, 10:13 AM
dewilson58's Avatar
dewilson58 dewilson58 is offline
Sage
Join Date: May 2013
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Posts: 7,133
Thanks: 390
Thanked 3,879 Times in 1,460 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by laboutj View Post
Thanks, I normally don't have an issue with the halogen headlights. Only place it's been an issue so far is on the MMP heading towards Lake Deaton plaza, past the entrance to Osceola. It's dark in that area and if there are no cars on Morse it's really dark.
Light bars are available at Walmart if you are a doing. Otherwise I thought The Villages cart shop was reasonable.
__________________
Mr. Helpful
  #9  
Old 12-30-2020, 11:06 AM
laboutj laboutj is offline
Member
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 77
Thanks: 1
Thanked 56 Times in 26 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Light bars are available at Walmart if you are a doing. Otherwise I thought The Villages cart shop was reasonable.
Hadn't even thought about Walmart for the light bar, just assumed I'd be purchasing on Amazonhttps://d32rzbb554tqz0.cloudfront.net/forums/images/smilies/doh.gif. And I plan on doing both installs myself, but thanks for the heads up on the Villages cart shop.
  #10  
Old 12-30-2020, 11:10 AM
dewilson58's Avatar
dewilson58 dewilson58 is offline
Sage
Join Date: May 2013
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Posts: 7,133
Thanks: 390
Thanked 3,879 Times in 1,460 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by laboutj View Post
Hadn't even thought about Walmart for the light bar, just assumed I'd be purchasing on Amazonhttps://d32rzbb554tqz0.cloudfront.net/forums/images/smilies/doh.gif. And I plan on doing both installs myself, but thanks for the heads up on the Villages cart shop.
Walmart even had a three foot bar................you could raise hell with that one.
__________________
Mr. Helpful
  #11  
Old 12-30-2020, 11:18 AM
karostay's Avatar
karostay karostay is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Conn/Maine /
Posts: 2,604
Thanks: 83
Thanked 1,113 Times in 423 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
My "newer" ride has LED headlights.....love them.


I installed a LED light bar on my "older" cart.
Great improvement.
BUT......properly aim the bar & put a separate switch on it so you can dim with on-coming traffic.


There are so many bonehead with light bars and they never dim for on coming traffic.
LED is not needed with traffic.




Sadly your efforts to educate fellow golf cart owners about on coming cart with led's will fall on deaf ears
__________________
Don't take life Too Serious ..It isn't permanent
  #12  
Old 12-31-2020, 05:51 AM
b0bd0herty b0bd0herty is offline
Member
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 48
Thanks: 77
Thanked 37 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
My "newer" ride has LED headlights.....love them.


I installed a LED light bar on my "older" cart.
Great improvement.
BUT......properly aim the bar & put a separate switch on it so you can dim with on-coming traffic.


There are so many bonehead with light bars and they never dim for on-coming traffic.
LED is not needed with traffic.


Agree with the switch. You're one of the (apparently) few responsible people who are considerate of others. Thank you.
  #13  
Old 12-31-2020, 06:13 AM
Mrmean58 Mrmean58 is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2020
Posts: 29
Thanks: 53
Thanked 46 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
My "newer" ride has LED headlights.....love them.


I installed a LED light bar on my "older" cart.
Great improvement.
BUT......properly aim the bar & put a separate switch on it so you can dim with on-coming traffic.


There are so many bonehead with light bars and they never dim for on-coming traffic.
LED is not needed with traffic.


Or you can upgrade to an LED headlight kit that includes high and low beams just like an auto
  #14  
Old 12-31-2020, 06:41 AM
Jerry Leinsing Jerry Leinsing is offline
Member
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 33
Thanks: 0
Thanked 21 Times in 11 Posts
Default Change headlights to LED

Yes. Cooler, less amps, plenty of light. I paid about $190 @ Brownwood and kept the original lights.
__________________
NH OLD MAN
  #15  
Old 12-31-2020, 08:31 AM
photo1902 photo1902 is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 2,261
Thanks: 623
Thanked 715 Times in 302 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmean58 View Post
Or you can upgrade to an LED headlight kit that includes high and low beams just like an auto
I have those and find the difference negligible between high and low.
Reply

Tags
headlights, led, brighter, change, making

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:49 AM.