LED Strips for old(er) Club Car

Closed Thread
Old 12-17-2021, 06:57 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,652 Times in 959 Posts
Default LED Strips for old(er) Club Car

I've decided not to do anything with the finish on the body of the "new" Club Car. It looks pretty good, and besides, my wife won't let me go with Cincinnati Bengal tiger stripes, or OSU Buckeye Scarlet and Gray, so what is the point?

I would like to be more visible at night, however. My Yamaha has cool LED strip lighting for turn signals, and I'd like to incorporate that.
I've done a lot of searching on YouTube for videos on how to install that stuff, and exactly what stuff it is. I find many videos on decking out a cart in running lights, but nothing specifically about turn signal strips. I don't see anything that looks exactly like what I see on my cart.
What product am I looking for that duplicates what I see on my cart, and on many other carts in TV? Just a thin ribbon of LEDs.

TIA
ps. I already know my old cart is not worth a $10 strip of LEDs, so you can save yourself the time of informing me of that fact.
Old 12-17-2021, 07:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,098 Times in 2,231 Posts

Laker14, I have helped several people put LED lights of various types on carts, here is my problem, in all cases (except a few aux headlights) the owner of the cart had to find the LEDs. I have looked several times and have had very little luck finding the extra flexible (bends in all directions) type of LEDs for mounting around the wheel wells for turn signals. If you find them I will be glad to help you install. In the past these were available from SuperBrightLEDS.com as well as a few golf cart parts websites, now they seem to have disappeared. All I have found recently are ground effects LED strips. I have found individual LED based modules that function as marker and turn signal indicators. I will look some more and send you a PM if I find anything.
Old 12-17-2021, 08:24 PM
Sage

As promised, it appears the LED strips that area applied typically around the wheel wells are called 'switchback LED strips', anyway I found these listed on Amazon, typically also called DRL (daytime running lights) with turn signals. These might do what you want. Take a look.
Old 12-17-2021, 09:30 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
As promised, it appears the LED strips that area applied typically around the wheel wells are called 'switchback LED strips', anyway I found these listed on Amazon, typically also called DRL (daytime running lights) with turn signals. These might do what you want. Take a look.
Thanks so much...I'm tired and heading to bed, but I'll check it out tomorrow. Thanks for your help.
Old 12-18-2021, 06:43 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I could PM you, Villagetinker, and hide my ignorance from the masses, but for the sake of others I will ask my questions here so all may learn.
I have searched the Amazon site, and what I am finding is not exactly what is on my Yamaha, however I think they would work for my purpose.

Any reason these wouldn't work?
https://www.amazon.com/Car-LED-Strip...3&sr=8-12&th=1
Old 12-18-2021, 09:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
I could PM you, Villagetinker, and hide my ignorance from the masses, but for the sake of others I will ask my questions here so all may learn.
I have searched the Amazon site, and what I am finding is not exactly what is on my Yamaha, however I think they would work for my purpose.

Any reason these wouldn't work?
https://www.amazon.com/Car-LED-Strip...3&sr=8-12&th=1
Laker14, these are listed as switchback LEDs, so without seeing them and actually working with them these look like they will work.
Old 12-18-2021, 10:08 AM

Laker 14....thanks for keeping this thread public. I for one am also interested in it! Oh, maybe check with your wife and see if she might like Black & Gold???? Lol.
Old 12-18-2021, 10:24 AM

So, if I may ask....most of these LED strips advertise 12 volts. Will they work using 8v? 16v? Or must I get a 48 volt to 12 volt "magic box"? I have a 48v 2017 Club Car Precedent. Any idea what voltage the OEM lights run on? Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge!
Old 12-18-2021, 01:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8xwb View Post
So, if I may ask....most of these LED strips advertise 12 volts. Will they work using 8v? 16v? Or must I get a 48 volt to 12 volt "magic box"? I have a 48v 2017 Club Car Precedent. Any idea what voltage the OEM lights run on? Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge!
8 volts, maybe, 16 volts NO, and yes I would strongly suggest the 48v to 12 volts DC to DC converter. Be sure to anticipate the power (current) requirements of the 12 volt load(s) so you get the correct size unti.
Old 12-18-2021, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8xwb View Post
Original lights should be 12v, but you will want to verify that. If so you can tap into the 48 to 12 installed
Old 12-19-2021, 06:03 AM
Default Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Laker14, I have helped several people put LED lights of various types on carts, here is my problem, in all cases (except a few aux headlights) the owner of the cart had to find the LEDs. I have looked several times and have had very little luck finding the extra flexible (bends in all directions) type of LEDs for mounting around the wheel wells for turn signals. If you find them I will be glad to help you install. In the past these were available from SuperBrightLEDS.com as well as a few golf cart parts websites, now they seem to have disappeared. All I have found recently are ground effects LED strips. I have found individual LED based modules that function as marker and turn signal indicators. I will look some more and send you a PM if I find anything.
Here is a link to what I believe you're looking for.

2 X LED Switchback, Daytime Running / Turn Signal Strip Lights, | eBay

Last edited by OpRod; 12-19-2021 at 06:09 AM.
Old 12-19-2021, 06:28 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post

I would like to be more visible at night, however. My Yamaha has cool LED strip lighting for turn signals, and I'd like to incorporate that.
I've done a lot of searching on YouTube for videos on how to install that stuff, and exactly what stuff it is. I find many videos on decking out a cart in running lights, but nothing specifically about turn signal strips. I don't see anything that looks exactly like what I see on my cart.
What product am I looking for that duplicates what I see on my cart, and on many other carts in TV? Just a thin ribbon of LEDs.

TIA
ps. I already know my old cart is not worth a $10 strip of LEDs, so you can save yourself the time of informing me of that fact.
I've been adding LEDs to my 2015 gas club car. I bought it used with the basic light kit of the headlight and two tail lights.

The head light has tiny little turn signals so I tapped into wires going to either side and added an LED strip.

I also added LED strips just above it that attached to the power switch for night time running lights. I didn't want to cut the wires at the LED so ran wires up to the switch.

I soldered and used shrink tube rather than those cheapo crimp connectors.

The kit I bought was https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 $14 for 8 rock lights and 4 strips. Electric carts may need something else depending on what voltage they use on the head light assembly. I just simply don't know.

I mounted the green rock lights above the wheels, two on each side. The green lights aren't real bright but the strips are pretty good.
Old 12-19-2021, 07:48 AM

This is what I used on my cart. Has 2 colors in one strip, amber and white. White stays on with ignition switch, amber with turn signal. I used 16 inch but they come in longer stripes if needed. Very flexible, they stick to the cart body with the 3m glue and are water proof.

2x WHITE AMBER SWITCHBACK LED Strip Bar DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHT & TURN SIGNAL | eBay
Old 12-19-2021, 09:07 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpRod View Post
Here is a link to what I believe you're looking for.

2 X LED Switchback, Daytime Running / Turn Signal Strip Lights, | eBay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malsua View Post
I've been adding LEDs to my 2015 gas club car. I bought it used with the basic light kit of the headlight and two tail lights.

The head light has tiny little turn signals so I tapped into wires going to either side and added an LED strip.

I also added LED strips just above it that attached to the power switch for night time running lights. I didn't want to cut the wires at the LED so ran wires up to the switch.

I soldered and used shrink tube rather than those cheapo crimp connectors.

The kit I bought was https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 $14 for 8 rock lights and 4 strips. Electric carts may need something else depending on what voltage they use on the head light assembly. I just simply don't know.

I mounted the green rock lights above the wheels, two on each side. The green lights aren't real bright but the strips are pretty good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgammon6 View Post
This is what I used on my cart. Has 2 colors in one strip, amber and white. White stays on with ignition switch, amber with turn signal. I used 16 inch but they come in longer stripes if needed. Very flexible, they stick to the cart body with the 3m glue and are water proof.

2x WHITE AMBER SWITCHBACK LED Strip Bar DAYTIME RUNNING LIGHT & TURN SIGNAL | eBay
thanks, all.
Old 12-19-2021, 10:25 AM
Sage

One word of caution to all that are installing your own accessories on golf carts. From personal experience I have learned to NOT tap the ignition switch circuit for additional accessories, you can occasionally cause an overload on the main fuse and guess what, when this fuse blows, the cart stops. Had this happen 2 or 3 times, one cart has a wiring problem that needs to be corrected, the other 2 had other accessories (fans, radios, etc) that contributed to the overload.
I now install a separate FUSED tap from the battery for additional accessories, and if the owner requires these to turn off with the ignition switch, then I install an automotive relay.

Tags
cart, leds, strips, turn, videos

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.