Lithium batteries for golf carts

Closed Thread
Old 07-17-2013, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
Must be a reason that 35 of your 36 posts ALL relate to golf carts, further most replies exhibit a good knowledge of carts.

As I stated before I think U R a dealer or work for a dealer etc.

Do U live in TV?

I will not disclose this info it is propitiatory.

The fact that U insinuate that the solar system is not real speaks volumes.

I prefer not to reply to your posts further.

Im not a dealer, but I do stand up for the people of the villages that I see get ripped off everyday by individuals in this industry. I have seen solar tried on golf cars since the early 1980's. I have friends at a university who do solar all day long and they have not been able to do what you say you have done. You know as well as I do, that as soon as you give out the right numbers and have someone test the system independently it will not perform as intended. I hope you welcome this challenge to prove me wrong rather than hide behind your statements. Proving me wrong will sell your system beyond belief, and I welcome being proven wrong on this technology.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBusch View Post
Im not a dealer, but I do stand up for the people of the villages that I see get ripped off everyday by individuals in this industry. I have seen solar tried on golf cars since the early 1980's. I have friends at a university who do solar all day long and they have not been able to do what you say you have done. You know as well as I do, that as soon as you give out the right numbers and have someone test the system independently it will not perform as intended. I hope you welcome this challenge to prove me wrong rather than hide behind your statements. Proving me wrong will sell your system beyond belief, and I welcome being proven wrong on this technology.
Agreed, snake oil will not sell once the technical details are released. What can possibly be proprietary about a simple solar panel charging system? Come on Jimbo, your credibility is waning.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:46 AM

I am interested. Can I see one and buy one if I like it? I am in the market fore a cart anyway.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:08 AM
Email Reported As Spam

I was one of the first in TV to install a solar panel on my cart (Sun Catcher). At best it allows a trickle of energy. After every use I recharge my batteries and I do not believe that I can go days on a single charge. I was told with lithium batteries I would get an increase in charging capacity.
Old 07-18-2013, 06:31 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
I was one of the first in TV to install a solar panel on my cart (Sun Catcher).
If I'm not mistaken that was a flexible panel or amorphous.

They R usually just peel and stick on.

They do not have the output capacity of a glass monocrystalline panel, about 20-25% which is why they can not fully charge a battery bank, for a trickle charge they work fine.

the lithium batteries will hold more power but as discussed they R not yet cost effective.

We were going to build a cart with a set but saw no viable market, the auto industry is pouring tons of money in development and soon we may see the costs drop.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:58 AM

Here's the information direct from the Kyocera spec sheet on one of their panels which is 25.7" x 39.6". To charge a 48volt system you would install 4 panels in series on the roof of the vehicle.

Max Power: 87W
Max Power Voltage: 17.4V
Max Power Current: 5.02A

Therefore the complete panel set up could put out up to 69.6volts or a max of 5.02amps.

If anyone wishes to verify this, you can research the Kyocera website, solar panel KC85T.

And there's the information. That information is NOT proprietary unless you're the guy who invented it. And if a dealer isn't willing to tell you that, I wouldn't buy from him. You should know what's under the hood before you buy.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:11 AM
Sage

That sounds great, let us know how that works out on your cart in Wisconsin.

Ps: we are a Kyocera dealer if you want to buy those four panels let me know,
after it doesn't work U can put it on eBay, solar expert.

Back to the drawing board for U

Do you even know the size of a golf carts roof?

Your 4 panels are 51x80, will not fit.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:16 AM

No need to be so negative. I just provided the information that someone requested. And yes there are solar carts in Wisconsin. We do get sunlight and heat too up here.

I think you mistook my providing information for slamming your attempt to sell solar, which is totally wrong. I'm pro-solar and pro sustainable energy so I would like to see you sell a lot of them down there. Someday I would like my grandkids to not have to pay $10 for a gallon of fuel, but instead just drive off the power from the sun.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:19 AM

And here's the specs attached direct from the manufacturer. This is for one panel.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf KC85T2.pdf (858.7 KB, 101 views)
Old 07-18-2013, 08:27 AM
Sage

Look my partner teaches solar energy use for over 25 or 30 years.

We have a handle on it and how to get it to work, he did the engineering on the controller, if when you get down here I'll take you for a ride.

By the way if you know anyone that wants to buy a golf cart charger I have two for sale.

My carts don't even have a plug.

Old 07-18-2013, 11:15 AM

Let me ask this: if I use my cart on Monday for 20 miles, can I use my cart on Tuesday and do 10 miles? Then on Wednesday use it for 20 miles without ever plugging into a charger? Granted, keeping it in the sun as much as possible? Or is that too many miles for the system?
Old 07-18-2013, 11:40 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Look my partner teaches solar energy use for over 25 or 30 years.

We have a handle on it and how to get it to work, he did the engineering on the controller, if when you get down here I'll take you for a ride.

By the way if you know anyone that wants to buy a golf cart charger I have two for sale.

My carts don't even have a plug.

Jimbo...
Your carts don't even have a plug?
Have to ask...There are times , even in sunny Florida, when the sun doesn't shine for several days. If the cart gets heavy use during this time and there is no sun to recharge the batteries, aren't you taking a chance without a plug to recharge?
Old 07-18-2013, 11:45 AM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken that was a flexible panel or amorphous.

They R usually just peel and stick on.

They do not have the output capacity of a glass monocrystalline panel, about 20-25% which is why they can not fully charge a battery bank, for a trickle charge they work fine.

the lithium batteries will hold more power but as discussed they R not yet cost effective.

We were going to build a cart with a set but saw no viable market, the auto industry is pouring tons of money in development and soon we may see the costs drop.
jimbo This subject is just out of my league. However I know that the panels are not a stick on.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBusch View Post
Let me ask this: if I use my cart on Monday for 20 miles, can I use my cart on Tuesday and do 10 miles? Then on Wednesday use it for 20 miles without ever plugging into a charger? Granted, keeping it in the sun as much as possible? Or is that too many miles for the system?
think my earlier answer (below)covers your question

Quote:
I prefer not to reply to your posts further.
Quote:
Originally Posted by philnpat View Post
Jimbo...
Your carts don't even have a plug?
Have to ask...There are times , even in sunny Florida, when the sun doesn't shine for several days. If the cart gets heavy use during this time and there is no sun to recharge the batteries, aren't you taking a chance without a plug to recharge?
No not really even if the sun isn't out full there is solar gain with cloud cover also I think the use may be less in rain anyway.

But I wouldn't remove the plug on any new install for others, I'm trying to prove a point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
jimbo This subject is just out of my league. However I know that the panels are not a stick on.
If you look the company up they are stick on, they just stick them on a new top so they appear perhaps otherwise I think.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:41 PM

Jimbo, I asked about the specs that started this solar discussion because my cart uses 55-70 Amps per hour...it is a 72 volt cart. You and I did a few emails before but were not able to hook up while you were in town this time around. Maybe when you get back next time! Understanding how many amps the solar would be able to provide would give me a key factor in determining if it something I want to pursue further. Sorry to hear you won't provide basic specs, seems like they would be key factors n marketing the product. I really hope your system works as I would like to extend the range on my cart.

Bill
NY, Miami, Elizabeth City, Mobile, Corpus Christi, Cape Cod, Corpus Christi, Miami, Arnold MD, Mobile, Atlanta, Greenville NC, Raleigh, Village Rio Ranchero!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.