Lithium battery golf cart

Closed Thread
Old 08-02-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
You know you can have the speed adjusted right?
Sure. Raise the speed above 20 mph and loose your life savings in your first accident. Great idea.
Old 08-02-2020, 02:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoisR View Post
Sure. Raise the speed above 20 mph and loose your life savings in your first accident. Great idea.
Was only mentioned to correct misinformation, not a recommendation. I suspect most carts go faster than 20, gas adjusted by the dealers and the owners. Electric by dealers.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 08-02-2020, 11:26 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
??? Our gas carts go plenty fast enough. And that is with the governor set at the legal speed limit. They are golf carts, not race cars.
Acceleration to 20 mph...not top speed.
Old 08-02-2020, 11:28 PM
Gold member

Quote:
You know you can have the speed adjusted right?
Not on the Yamaha AC, right?

Last edited by MorTech; 08-03-2020 at 03:05 AM.
Old 08-02-2020, 11:29 PM
Gold member

Does The Villages Golf Car still set top speed to 21.5 MPH?
Old 08-03-2020, 06:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorTech View Post
Not on the Yamaha AC, right?
Don't know why not. It's up to the dealer, if it's like the other cart manufacturers it is a software adjustment. If you bought the cart and wanted it street legal they would adjust the speed so we know it can be done. If it's The Villages Golf carts might be refusing because they still want to sell gas.

Old 08-04-2020, 08:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
What is the pro-rated schedule for the warranty? Also, do you expect to keep the cart 8-10 years? I have two electrics and we change batteries every 3.5 years which is about 2K over 7 years, last check the ION batteries cost more than that. Maybe it changed. Unfortunately we seem to change carts every 5 - 6 years.
Yes, the cost more but they are also maintenance free. You pay for the convenience of not having to water your batteries every month. So if you want to save money, buy a cart with lithium ion batteries use it in place of your car as much as possible and keep it for ten years.

From what I understand they have a much greater range. One company was touting 100 miles on a charge.

So if those two things are of interest to you then they are worth it.

Also there is no need to trade in an electric golf cart every 5-6 years. Electric carts will basically run forever.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 08-04-2020, 08:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Yes, the cost more but they are also maintenance free. You pay for the convenience of not having to water your batteries every month. So if you want to save money, buy a cart with lithium ion batteries use it in place of your car as much as possible and keep it for ten years.

From what I understand they have a much greater range. One company was touting 100 miles on a charge.

So if those two things are of interest to you then they are worth it.

Also there is no need to trade in an electric golf cart every 5-6 years. Electric carts will basically run forever.
I have maintenance free batteries and they are not lithium so not watering. I don't know anyone that will sit in a golf cart for 100 miles. I get 50 miles easily and if I do that distance my butt hurts, even with the good seats I have. Hillsborough to Hacienda Hills, 18 holes of golf and back was 24.5 miles. Not a bit effort to put a plug in the socket....I can do that . Didn't say I need to trade carts every 5 - 6 years, just that I do. It's a new toy thing.

Old 08-05-2020, 07:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
I have maintenance free batteries and they are not lithium so not watering. I don't know anyone that will sit in a golf cart for 100 miles. I get 50 miles easily and if I do that distance my butt hurts, even with the good seats I have. Hillsborough to Hacienda Hills, 18 holes of golf and back was 24.5 miles. Not a bit effort to put a plug in the socket....I can do that . Didn't say I need to trade carts every 5 - 6 years, just that I do. It's a new toy thing.
What kind of batteries do you have that are maintenance free and what is their cost compared to lithium ion?
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 08-05-2020, 08:19 AM
Gold member

Quote:
How old are your batteries? Is this the first set of MF batteries you have had? Did you buy your cart with them?

I am getting ready to buy an electric cart and trying to decide which one.
Old 08-05-2020, 12:18 PM

I'm also interested in info on maintenance free golf cart batteries. I hate doing the maintenance on golf cart batteries. Acid bubbling out of the batteries, acid on top of the batteries, corrosion of terminals, the stink when charging the batteries, filling batteries to the proper level without overfilling, and all that stuff has just become a PITA to me. After doing that stuff for 3 different carts, I'm ready for something maintenance free while still being an electric cart. Not interested in gas carts.
Old 08-05-2020, 01:38 PM
Sage

I have Trojan T105-AGM. The Star Dealer provided them when I bought the new cart last November. The cost was around 1,000.00 as I remember, more than the standard batteries but way less than lithium Ion. The only upside to the maintenance free is there is no watering or acid reflux . There is no range advantage nor any longer life. Since I change carts every 5 - 6 years I assumed two battery change outs. One thing to consider if you go lithium ion is the warranty period and proration of cost. While they say they will last 10 years the full replacement warranty is significantly shorter after which the cost to replace is prorated on your usage. That might vary by manufacturer. I didn't see the value based on my buying schedule.

Old 08-06-2020, 02:01 AM
Veteran member
Location: Reading, Pa, The Villages, Reading, Pa, The Villages until the end.
Thumbs up EzGo Elite

The EzGo Elite are warranty 100% for 8 years. Own one and love it. Not cheap though.
Old 08-09-2020, 01:22 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Don't know why not. It's up to the dealer, if it's like the other cart manufacturers it is a software adjustment. If you bought the cart and wanted it street legal they would adjust the speed so we know it can be done. If it's The Villages Golf carts might be refusing because they still want to sell gas.
The Yamaha AC (Toyota) controller can only be adjusted via proprietary equipment that Yamaha or Toyota wont release...as far as I know. I was hoping you knew something different Navitas makes a bluetooth/smartphone app adjustable 440A controller that is a direct replacement for the Yamaha AC but it costs $800.

I suppose one could get the Yamaha factory 2 inch lift kit and put larger diameter tires on it.

The new Club Car Onward HP electric might be a better idea.
Old 08-09-2020, 01:40 AM
Gold member

For maintenance free electric without expense of Lithium...Check out the new Yamaha AC carts with Trojan T875-AGM battery option from the factory. The AGM batteries will last longer (more charge cycles) and can be discharged more deeply than Flooded. No watering...No charging stink...No corrosion.

Always choose an electric cart with an AC motor...They are more powerful and efficient and will never break.
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, lithium, battery, carts, smoothness

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.