Lithium ion battery conversion

Closed Thread
Old 03-08-2019, 07:14 PM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Carts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna32162 View Post
OK, I did have my 2014 electric cart converted from lead acid to lithium by AGC, Advantage Golf Cars, when they were located in The Villages. They have since moved to Ocala. It was expensive and, over time, did not meet our expectations.

The setup: 10 Lithium batteries, all with their own charger and a management controller.
Pros: Less weight, better range per charge.

Cons: over a 2 year period, 3 batteries and 5 chargers had to be replaced. Over a 2 month period this year, the cart was in for service 5 times, and while the battery and chargers were replaced under warranty, the cost to transport to Ocala was not. The system also caused us to go through 2 solenoids in a 2 year period.

The Bottom Line: IMHO, I would not have this done as a conversion on an existing cart. A new cart that comes from the manufacture that is already setup with a Lithium system (like the new Atomic carts) might be a much better choice.

BTW, traded that cart in at Carts and Clubs for a 2018 Yamaha EFI quiet tech gas cart.
RESPONSE Originally I was happy with a cart from AGC in the villages, and yes, they have moved. Later on, recently, I found that the battery installation was faulty, the auto water lines were leaking, the cell covers leaked too. Had it overhauled by a tech from Emerge on highway 441. He did a very good job. I could see clearly the problems caused by AGC, but too late. When I called them about the problems, they are in Ocala, they wanted a big fee and parts charges, about $250 to correct their own errors on the original work. So , no more from them. EMerge is really good, very.

Old 03-09-2019, 06:21 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brawnwy123 View Post
RESPONSE Originally I was happy with a cart from AGC in the villages, and yes, they have moved. Later on, recently, I found that the battery installation was faulty, the auto water lines were leaking, the cell covers leaked too. Had it overhauled by a tech from Emerge on highway 441. He did a very good job. I could see clearly the problems caused by AGC, but too late. When I called them about the problems, they are in Ocala, they wanted a big fee and parts charges, about $250 to correct their own errors on the original work. So , no more from them. EMerge is really good, very.

What is AGC?
Old 03-09-2019, 08:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

Just out of curiosity I did a Google search "golf cart conversion from lead acid battery to lithium ion battery", I think you might find the results interesting. I have a gas cart, so I really do not have any interest. There seems to be article on both sides, but there was one that appeared to be a Li-ion battery designed to be a direct replacement for lead acid.
Hope you find this useful.
Old 03-10-2019, 07:48 PM
Gold member

Again, I would say, if you can find a manufacturer cart with lithium ion batteries" it might be worth taking a look at. To do a conversion. Is a fool's errand that will cost you a ton of money with minimal results over the long run.

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 03-13-2019, 12:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default EdFNJ atomic cart, did you get your atomic cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
The design of an electric golf cart takes into consideration the weight and location of the batteries. Remove 400+ lbs of batteries from the "center of gravity" of your electric cart that wasn't designed that way could easily lead to a tip-over.

That being said, "ATOMIC" sells 2 carts, The ZIP and The ZIPPER, designed with LI's from the ground up. You'll see them "zipping" around TV in ever increasing volume. I should have mine tomorrow.

atomic electric vehicles - Google Search

"The Zipper" is the yellow one. The "ZIP" is the same but smaller with only a front seat. They come from the factory with LI's designed from the ground up.
Did you get your atomic cart and if so what do you think about it
Old 03-13-2019, 02:05 PM
Default Like so many things it is a matter of opinion

I used to sell high power rechargeable flash units. So in truth my experience is about five years old.

Lead acid, nickle cadmium and lithium batteries have all been and are being used in high power flash units and they all have advantages and disadvantages. Lead acid batteries are still the least expensive option at the start. Any product needs to be sold.
Someone posted that to convert to lithium ion would cost 2-3.000.
Would you pay an extra 3,000 for a xxxxx golf cart with lithium ion batteries? The companies will sell what people are willing to buy.

Number of times the battery can be recharged. It is at best how big a lie do you want to tell. What is a charge discharge cycle? How far down are you running each cell? Lithium Ion cells will get far more charge discharge cycles it you don't run them down much. How many people, they are few and far between, keep a true count of how many times they have charged a battery?

Lithium Ion batteries have come way down in price; so today you can consider it as an option. As far as explosions. We've heard a lot of bad press as they are becoming far more common-in cell phones-laptops-rechargeable tools. Not a justification BUT, lead acid batteries also explode. You all know you have to add water. Do you know where the water goes?
When you charge the battery you connect it to a DC source (the charger). Some of the acid water mix called the electrolyte. Oxygen plus hydrogen. plus a spark equals BOOM.

Gasoline-hum. You have typically 6 gal of gas in your golf cart
another 20 or so in your car. Enough gasoline vapors and a spark from anything, cigarette, your ac, your refrigerator also equals BOOM.

Fortunately, in most cases we get away with things that can end badly.
is converted on every charge to oxygen and hydrogen.
Closed Thread

Tags
batteries, lithium, ion, ease, performance

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.