Looking for advice

Closed Thread
Old 09-10-2015, 10:03 AM
Default Looking for advice

I am hoping someone can give me some advice regarding my Dad's golf cart. Maybe this is just bad luck.

On 8/3/15 golf car went in for annual service. Was told nothing was wrong.

On 8/24/15 golf cart was taken in again (it started making a weird noise) and they repaired primary clutch (1 weight out of position) and replaced drive belt (separating)

On 9/8/15 taken in again (would randomly lose power would start up again after about 5 minutes) and they rebuilt Carburetor adjusted valves, changed spark plug and fuel filter.

When I asked why none of this was mentioned at the annual service I was told it was fine then. Is that valid? I would think that there would have been some indication at check up.

Thank you.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:20 AM

Of the things you mentioned, at the minimum, the fuel filter & spark plug should have been changed and you should not have had to pay for that over & above the annual maintenance.
Old 09-10-2015, 01:45 PM
Sage

I would have thought the separating drive belt would have been noted at the annual service.
Old 09-10-2015, 01:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Who provided the service?

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 09-10-2015, 06:52 PM

First you need a new service company.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:19 PM

Yes I think I do need to get Dad a new service company. Even though he doesn't like change. But for now we have to take it back in the morning as evidently it is not fixed. Lost power again 3 times coming back from village of Summerhill. Wouldn't have been so bad but twice was in tunnels. Luckily not too much traffic.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Who provided the service?
I am going to give them the opportunity to make this right before I name them.
Old 09-10-2015, 07:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by claricecolin View Post
Yes I think I do need to get Dad a new service company. Even though he doesn't like change. But for now we have to take it back in the morning as evidently it is not fixed. Lost power again 3 times coming back from village of Summerhill. Wouldn't have been so bad but twice was in tunnels. Luckily not too much traffic.
You might want to take it to a new service company now instead of returning it to the place that isn't giving you good service/repairs.

Maybe some on here could suggest places they like.
Old 09-12-2015, 11:15 AM

If the cart was running fine BEFORE the first service there is no reason for all these breakdowns. I agree you need a new service provider and I understand your hesitation about naming the company but you should contact the BBB and Seniors and crime groups. Sounds to me like your service guy was manufacturing future business for himself.
Old 09-12-2015, 11:33 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by claricecolin View Post
I am hoping someone can give me some advice regarding my Dad's golf cart. Maybe this is just bad luck.

On 8/3/15 golf car went in for annual service. Was told nothing was wrong.

On 8/24/15 golf cart was taken in again (it started making a weird noise) and they repaired primary clutch (1 weight out of position) and replaced drive belt (separating)

On 9/8/15 taken in again (would randomly lose power would start up again after about 5 minutes) and they rebuilt Carburetor adjusted valves, changed spark plug and fuel filter.

When I asked why none of this was mentioned at the annual service I was told it was fine then. Is that valid? I would think that there would have been some indication at check up.

Thank you.
The highlighted part rings an alarm bell. Cheapest item there, the fuel filter, was probably the problem. The rest was just shot gunning trying to find a solution.
Old 09-12-2015, 01:26 PM

The actual problem is the gas pump, or equv. on the cart you have. The engine is not getting gas. Look at the fuel filter, if it is not full of fuel you know the reason now.
Old 09-12-2015, 05:14 PM

Its not the fuel filter and its not the fuel pump. Very very rare the fuel pumps go bad. The system is designed so that, at times, the fuel filter will not have fuel in it. This is a common misconception that the cart is not getting enough fuel. Many fuel pumps have been sold due to this thought. Try working on carts for a few years and you will see how many carts are misdiagnosed. Here in the villages, it is very common.
Old 09-13-2015, 02:21 PM

Well it looks like the problem is solved. When the call came for more information on what the cart was doing. He said I thought it might have been the ignition overheating and that caused the loss of power. But because the "long test drive" didn't cause a loss they figured that wan't it.

So they replaced the ignition unit and all seems to be well. They didn't charge my Dad for labor this time. This is The Villages Golf Cars, my parents have used them for the past 11 years. From my personal experience in the past 2 years I am not thrilled with them. I would be open to finding another provider for Dad.

Thank you for the advice.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:28 AM

The problem is these shops don't hire anyone trained in golf cart repair. Your not getting a trained golf cart repair person for 10-15 dollars an hour. So you get parts changed for no reason, or your getting parts replaced that could be repaired. Remember, a bad mechanic makes more money for a shop than a trained mechanic.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:14 AM
Veteran member

Kindly post the name of fully qualified golf cart mechanic.
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, annual, told, service, cart, advice, adjusted, carburetor, valves, rebuilt, changed, check, start, power, lose, spark, minutes, filter, valid, mentioned, fine, randomly, indication, fuel, asked

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.