looking for golf cart advice

Closed Thread
Old 12-21-2021, 07:34 AM

Golf carts that exceed 20 mph have to be made street legal.....Tags, insurance, brakes, etc. I suspect some of the cart companies don't want the liability of setting the governors to a higher speed.
Old 12-21-2021, 07:37 AM
Veteran member

Have had lead-acid golf carts in the past and will no longer get 1 of those. $1000 every 4-5 years to replace the batteries. Also, you need to check the water level in the batteries every quarter and these batteries start losing their range of charge as time passes.
If you want electric, lithium is the best choice for both maintenance and length of service and range. The big downside is paying $3000-$4,000 for a new set of lithium batteries every 7 years. If you are environment conscience, batteries of any kind are a major waste issue.
We just bought a new Yamaha drive2 gas cart and love it, quiet, no smell, 300+ mile range. The main maintenance you need to do is change the oil once a year and maybe adjust the valves. Down the road many many years from now, you will need an engine rebuild which is fairly cheap compared to replacing batteries
Old 12-21-2021, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
///
This is off topic, but while not new to ToTV, I'm confused by posters simply typing "///" as a response. What does "///" mean?
Old 12-21-2021, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by margevicius@gmail.com View Post
New to TV -- coming down in January. In need of a golf cart. Interested in electric -- gas is too noisy and smelly for me and my bride. 2 options on electric - Lithium and lead-based. Lithium is preferred. Which makes/models are good? Initially interested in Evolution, but I realize that others like Club Car and EZ-GO exist. Can others share the good/bad/ugly of their experiences? TIA. And if you have/know of one for sale, drop me a PM, thanks.
We LOVE our EZGo lithium. We live South of 44 and go up to Lake Sumter , play golf etc and return with half a charge still left. It charges quickly with just a regular plug in the garage. We first bought a Club Car and returned it ( luckily we could). It did not have the distance. Quiet, easy, no maintenance!
Old 12-21-2021, 07:44 AM

Quote:
New to TV -- coming down in January. In need of a golf cart. Interested in electric -- gas is too noisy and smelly for me and my bride. 2 options on electric - Lithium and lead-based. Lithium is preferred. Which makes/models are good? Initially interested in Evolution, but I realize that others like Club Car and EZ-GO exist. Can others share the good/bad/ugly of their experiences? TIA. And if you have/know of one for sale, drop me a PM, thanks.
Check atomic golf carts, electric
Air conditioned
Power windows
Windshield wipers
Long range driving
Fast
Street ready
Old 12-21-2021, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
Depends upon where you live. If you live north of 44, electric will work. Our lead acid electric cart will get about 40 miles before the towing service needs calling. Gas has a much, much farther range. If you live south of 44, the golf courses are so far away, that gas is your only real option for going to LSL and getting back.

sorry to be the bearer of bad news if you live in Southern Oaks.
Not true. We live South of the turnpike and go up to play golf and up to the Squares and return home with half a charge still left. No issues whatsoever!
Old 12-21-2021, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
Depends upon where you live. If you live north of 44, electric will work. Our lead acid electric cart will get about 40 miles before the towing service needs calling. Gas has a much, much farther range. If you live south of 44, the golf courses are so far away, that gas is your only real option for going to LSL and getting back.

sorry to be the bearer of bad news if you live in Southern Oaks.
Atomic carts get 60 miles
With lithium batteries almost 100
If you use the air conditioning it’s less range
Old 12-21-2021, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
glad we didn’t wast money sending our kid to princeton. Driving a gas cart 2.5 hours per week for 52 weeks would burn about 75 gallons of gas. Since gas weighs 6.1 pounds per gallon, that would be roughly 458 pounds of gas. How in the world could 1,474.2 pounds of co2 be emitted by burning 458 pounds of gas?
lol
Old 12-21-2021, 07:53 AM

We bought Evolution. Love it. No regrets. We are able to ride with all 4 seats filled from Citrus Grove to Sumpter Landing and back on 40% battery use. We only charge this battery when it’s between 10-15% per manufacturer recommendation.
Old 12-21-2021, 07:57 AM
Default Electric Golf Cart

I purchased a Crown golf cart from Crown carts. They are located behind Russell Stover candy, Wildwood, FL. We have had it for 2 years and love it. It has air, heat, AM/FM stereo, Toyota suspension and discuss brakes. I have attached a photo. We paid $14k new. Check it out.
Quote:
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	20191003_212613.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	91975  
Old 12-21-2021, 07:59 AM
Default Battery Cart

Look at an Atomic.
Atomic Cool Kartz
Old 12-21-2021, 08:00 AM

Try Star Sirius at Crown Carts, independent ride for smooth ride, standard battery will go 50-60 miles per charge, 80-90 with Lithium upgrade
Old 12-21-2021, 08:03 AM
Platinum member
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
I have one also, and when I back into the garage, I definitely get a little exhaust smell. Doesn't really faze me, but I can't deny its existence.
I'm sure if anyone pulls their car into the garage they can smell fumes as well. They just never pay any attention to it because they are used to it.
Old 12-21-2021, 08:08 AM
Platinum member
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmurano View Post
Have had lead-acid golf carts in the past and will no longer get 1 of those. $1000 every 4-5 years to replace the batteries. Also, you need to check the water level in the batteries every quarter and these batteries start losing their range of charge as time passes.
If you want electric, lithium is the best choice for both maintenance and length of service and range. The big downside is paying $3000-$4,000 for a new set of lithium batteries every 7 years. If you are environment conscience, batteries of any kind are a major waste issue.
We just bought a new Yamaha drive2 gas cart and love it, quiet, no smell, 300+ mile range. The main maintenance you need to do is change the oil once a year and maybe adjust the valves. Down the road many many years from now, you will need an engine rebuild which is fairly cheap compared to replacing batteries
And then you got to think, Where are they dumping all these batteries after they die???

Old 12-21-2021, 08:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,067 Times in 2,743 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDivine View Post
I'm sure if anyone pulls their car into the garage they can smell fumes as well. They just never pay any attention to it because they are used to it.
After using my diesel tractor, the two stroke chainsaws, weed wacker, and backpack leaf blower all summer and fall, the gas smell from the Yamaha golf cart in the winter is unnoticeable. It’s all relative.
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, cart, electric, interested, lithium

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.