Modifying battery filler bottle for tight spaces

Closed Thread
Old 01-01-2018, 02:12 PM
Platinum member
Default Modifying battery filler bottle for tight spaces

I have an EZGo electric with 6 8v Trojan Ranger batteries. Three of the batteries are partially hidden which makes checking water level and filling with the bottle and auto shutoff nozzle impossible. BB’s supplied me with a plastic “T” to dip into each cell to check the water level. I then use a turkey basted to add water. It works but it’s not as simple as using the standard filler bottle.

Has anyone ever taken the auto fill nozzle from the standard battery filling bottle and modified it to work in a tight spot? I was thinking of taking the nozzle to Ace to see if the threads would allow for a pvc adaptor.
Old 01-01-2018, 05:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Is it possible to have an auto fill system installed on your cart? We opted to have the auto fill system on our 2016 electric Yamaha and it is brainless and so very easy to keep the water level perfect with no over filling. Just hook up the "quick connect" to the distilled water jug and in 10 to 15 seconds.......done.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:38 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Is it possible to have an auto fill system installed on your cart? We opted to have the auto fill system on our 2016 electric Yamaha and it is brainless and so very easy to keep the water level perfect with no over filling. Just hook up the "quick connect" to the distilled water jug and in 10 to 15 seconds.......done.
When we bought our EZGo from Town & Country in Spanish Springs in 2010, they were opposed to an auto-fill solution. They claimed that in their experience it gave the owner a false sense of security, and that if one cell wasn’t getting any water that you would never know it until it was too late. They claimed they knew of several instances. At the time their opinion made sense. Of course since then we know of many people who use an auto-fill system. I find that checking my batteries monthly has been sufficient. Not sure if it’s worth $300 but an auto-fill solution would work.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:34 AM
Gold member

The last time I had batteries installed on my cart, the dealer told me he didn't like the auto fill systems. He suggested I buy a cheap garden pump sprayer and cut the end off. I have used this for 3 years now and it works great. The sprayer costs about $10.00.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDCART View Post
I have an EZGo electric with 6 8v Trojan Ranger batteries. Three of the batteries are partially hidden which makes checking water level and filling with the bottle and auto shutoff nozzle impossible. BB’s supplied me with a plastic “T” to dip into each cell to check the water level. I then use a turkey basted to add water. It works but it’s not as simple as using the standard filler bottle.

Has anyone ever taken the auto fill nozzle from the standard battery filling bottle and modified it to work in a tight spot? I was thinking of taking the nozzle to Ace to see if the threads would allow for a pvc adaptor.
I have the same problem with my Club Car D/S. The outside cells on batteries on the sides can be a bit hard to get at. I was considering cutting the body of the cart back a bit.

As far as the BB dipstick goes, water doesn't stick to the one that I have. I put it in and it comes out dry.

I managed fleets of golf carts for many years and was always told that the water should just touch the bottom of the flanges inside the filler hole. Some of the guys at BB tell me that's not good, but then one of their techs told me that it's fine.

Like I said, that the wat I was taught by golf cart manufactures and that's the way I did it for years. It was never a problem.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDCART View Post
When we bought our EZGo from Town & Country in Spanish Springs in 2010, they were opposed to an auto-fill solution. They claimed that in their experience it gave the owner a false sense of security, and that if one cell wasn’t getting any water that you would never know it until it was too late. They claimed they knew of several instances. At the time their opinion made sense. Of course since then we know of many people who use an auto-fill system. I find that checking my batteries monthly has been sufficient. Not sure if it’s worth $300 but an auto-fill solution would work.
That was Kyle's opinion. Have you noticed he's out of business.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Both our electrics use the auto-fill system and it works fine. I do visually check the check the cells every few months (old habit) but have yet to see a discrepancy. I connect every two to three weeks depending on use and temperatures.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Closed Thread

Tags
bottle, water, nozzle, batteries, standard

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.