Must-have options

Closed Thread
Old 06-11-2017, 10:37 AM
Veteran member
Default Must-have options

Just bought a villa in Woodbury. Will be a part-time Villager for a few years until moving down full-time. Planning to be down there for a month or so in mid August. Will be looking for a late model gas cart or possibly even a new. I would like to keep the price as low as possible. For a new cart, are there any must-have options that I should add? Are the standard seats comfortable enough? Anything else I should look into? Thanks in advance.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

If you don't want brand new, but the closest thing to new, then go to this place on 466 just east of Morse. It's in brownish color shopping center next to Birdie Golf. They will arrange purchase of a new cart from an out of town dealer and then can customize at a must better price than most of the others. They also have many late models carts already customized and for sale. Best thing is, just go and see what they can do and have.

Village Discount Golf Car

The Villages Florida
Old 06-11-2017, 11:19 AM
Veteran member

Thanks John.
Will they also service a vehicle purchased from them?
I take it the Villages Golf Cars are over-priced?
This is new territory for me. Just learning now. My wife and I did stop at the Villages Golf Cars to rent one (you can't beat $25 a day with a full tank of gas). Walked around the showroom drooling over the new cars. I've always liked getting a new automobile. I think getting a new or late model used golf cart will be even better.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucernelson View Post
Thanks John.
Will they also service a vehicle purchased from them?
I take it the Villages Golf Cars are over-priced?
This is new territory for me. Just learning now. My wife and I did stop at the Villages Golf Cars to rent one (you can't beat $25 a day with a full tank of gas). Walked around the showroom drooling over the new cars. I've always liked getting a new automobile. I think getting a new or late model used golf cart will be even better.
Golf cart must haves;

Names on the front. (Bubba and Me)
Urinal to carry sand to fill in divots on golf course.
Emblem of College you root for.
Little blankie for both days it gets cold.
Ice chest for NON OPENED CONTAINERS.
Sticker that says you are a member of TalkofTheVillages.
Golf clubs securely locked. Tees in the drink holders.
Sweet dog in passenger seat. (I see that is taken care of)
Old 06-11-2017, 11:54 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Golf cart must haves;

Names on the front. (Bubba and Me)
Urinal to carry sand to fill in divots on golf course.
Emblem of College you root for.
Little blankie for both days it gets cold.
Ice chest for NON OPENED CONTAINERS.
Sticker that says you are a member of TalkofTheVillages.
Golf clubs securely locked. Tees in the drink holders.
Sweet dog in passenger seat. (I see that is taken care of)
Thanks Graciegirl. You've said it all!
Old 06-11-2017, 12:05 PM
Gold member

Check out those golf carts that have the fold up rear seat. Will come in handy when you have visitors.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:58 PM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

Quote:
Just bought a villa in Woodbury. Will be a part-time Villager for a few years until moving down full-time. Planning to be down there for a month or so in mid August. Will be looking for a late model gas cart or possibly even a new. I would like to keep the price as low as possible. For a new cart, are there any must-have options that I should add? Are the standard seats comfortable enough? Anything else I should look into? Thanks in advance.
Seat belts if not already on cart!
Old 06-11-2017, 01:09 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW

Definately SEAT BELTS. These can be installed later/

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 06-11-2017, 03:12 PM
Default New cart

Quote:
Your first option to consider is gas or electric.Search TOTV for this topic.It will take you 2 days to read all the posts!Let's not make this a gas vs electric post.
Must have options.
Seat beats
Cooler
Sand bottle
Outlets to plug in cell phone, golf gps etc
Upgraded seats
LED lights to enhance turn signals
Dash board

Pick the golf cart brand you want and all your options.Then shop around.
I purchased new from The Villages Golf Cars.The bottom line price was a little higher but service is handy.I had two minor problems with my cart.Each time I drove to the store at Sumter, they fixed the problem and I was back on the road in 20 minutes.
Old 06-11-2017, 03:52 PM
Gold member
Default For my two cents worth

Quote:
We have A 2015 Yamaha gas.
1. We did not get it but I agree that you would want the better led turn signals. You really can't see the standard ones and they do not self cancel.
2. As to seats. No one can answer that for you. Try your butt in them. We have the standard seats and they are fine for us.
3. As to seat belts. You will see all kinds of debates on the subject. Wife insisted we buy them-we never use them.
It is a golf cart. There is nothing on the sides or the front to protect you.
4. As to the fold up seats. We do not have them but our friend does. He has a 2017 which does have a better ride than the 2015 that we have. I WOULD NOT PUT ANYONE YOU LIKE IN THE BACK SEAT.
5. As to the 2017, as stated above, it does ride smoother than our 2015. It is also quieter.
6. I would also consider brighter headlights than the original. The original ones are marginal at best.
7. I would consider a glass windshield. Standard is plexiglass. The plexiglass scratches if you clean it and you cannot or should not install wipers on it.
8. Perhaps, a good choice would be to buy a well used one for 2-3,000 with the plan to resell it when you move full time.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:23 PM
Veteran member

Thanks for all the info. I'll be thinking this over until we get down there in August. We do like the rear seat for guests but not at $2,500 which is the price they charge on a new cart, especially since it will only be used occasionally. We saw a nice rebuilt yamaha gas. I think the year was either 2013 or 2015. Pice was $8,470. I would imagine you would offer a bit less than sticker price?
Old 06-12-2017, 12:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

If you're intent on having rear facing seats in the back, but don't want to spend $2500, try Star Carts. I believe they are made in China, they are electric, fold up when not in use and you can put your golf bags on. The dealer in Lady Lake I believe went out of business, but I think there is a new one in the small shopping center on 301 that has Lucky Cycles (always has motorcycles out front) and Chefs of Napoli Restaurant. I've also seen a couple of used ones in TOTV classifieds.

Star EV Golf Cars – Golf Cars and Electric Vehicles

The Villages Florida

50% of the golf carts in TV are gas Yamahas. The rest are made up of gas and electric by EZ Go, Club Car, Par Car, Star and a few others. Yamahas is tops because for one, The Villages Golf Cars has a store at every square as well as at Colony. They are reliable and with normal maintenance should be the last cart you buy. If you want a used gas Yamaha, then go to the place I mentioned in post #2, Villages Discount Golf Carts. Do a search on this website and you'll see they do a good job. Here's a golf cart they sell that I took off their website.

Village Discount Golf Car

The Villages Florida
Old 06-12-2017, 04:36 PM
Veteran member

We have a 2017 gas that we bought new from Village Discount Golf Car. It came with LED headlights, tail-lights, turn-signals and side-lights, the rear-view and side-view mirrors, the sand bottle (haven't used it yet as I haven't started golfing yet), the cooler (handy for the farmer's market in Brownwood), custom wheels (pretty but purely cosmetic) and padding around the rear roof supports (hope we never need those!). We are strong believers in seat belts and got those. It came with a GPS instead of a speedometer/odometer but that seems too easy to steal (it's not built in) so we don't use it and are considering getting a speedometer/odometer installed from a guy that advertises in the Village Sun. We did not bother with custom paint or any sort of customized look as that doesn't appeal to us (though I've seen some VERY cool custom carts rolling around town!). We kind of wanted the fold-down rear seats but were told by several folks that A) they are uncomfortable and nobody likes to ride in them, B) beefing up the suspension to handle the weight of 4 seats and 4 adults makes for a MUCH rougher ride, C) you're likely to rarely use them so you're buying them for the exception rather than the norm and D) they are expensive and it's cheaper to just rent a 4-seater (even one where everybody faces forward) the few times you need it. As far as the custom seats, I was dead set against them. NO seats are worth that kind of money, I was convinced. Then we sat in them and immediately asked, "What colors do they come in?" For us, there was a world of difference. Also, ours allow the driver's seat to slide forward or back, making it far more useful for my wife, who is several inches shorter than me.

Good luck with whatever you decide upon!
Old 06-12-2017, 05:16 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLBell View Post
We have a 2017 gas that we bought new from Village Discount Golf Car. It came with LED headlights, tail-lights, turn-signals and side-lights, the rear-view and side-view mirrors, the sand bottle (haven't used it yet as I haven't started golfing yet), the cooler (handy for the farmer's market in Brownwood), custom wheels (pretty but purely cosmetic) and padding around the rear roof supports (hope we never need those!). We are strong believers in seat belts and got those. It came with a GPS instead of a speedometer/odometer but that seems too easy to steal (it's not built in) so we don't use it and are considering getting a speedometer/odometer installed from a guy that advertises in the Village Sun. We did not bother with custom paint or any sort of customized look as that doesn't appeal to us (though I've seen some VERY cool custom carts rolling around town!). We kind of wanted the fold-down rear seats but were told by several folks that A) they are uncomfortable and nobody likes to ride in them, B) beefing up the suspension to handle the weight of 4 seats and 4 adults makes for a MUCH rougher ride, C) you're likely to rarely use them so you're buying them for the exception rather than the norm and D) they are expensive and it's cheaper to just rent a 4-seater (even one where everybody faces forward) the few times you need it. As far as the custom seats, I was dead set against them. NO seats are worth that kind of money, I was convinced. Then we sat in them and immediately asked, "What colors do they come in?" For us, there was a world of difference. Also, ours allow the driver's seat to slide forward or back, making it far more useful for my wife, who is several inches shorter than me.

Good luck with whatever you decide upon!
Thanks Jerry. Good info.
Old 06-12-2017, 05:21 PM
Veteran member

In another thread I read that someone bought a new cart online (Alabama) and had delivered for $300 and saved three thousand dollars. Any thoughts from anyone re online buying?
Closed Thread

Tags
must-have, cart, options, low, price

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.