Questions for those with LED HEADLIGHTS on their golf cart

Closed Thread
Old 12-10-2014, 05:39 PM
Default Questions for those with LED HEADLIGHTS on their golf cart *UPDATED*

I have been seeing more and more carts with the LED headlights lately. They're easy to pick out. Whiter light but not obtrusive like some of the auxiliary lights are. It does not appear that Yamaha supplies them. Only aftermarket and can only find as kits that include the LED taillights which are not needed. (LED taillights are already on the late model Yamaha carts)

Thank you everyone for your info. I ended up having Carts and Clubs install their "3 bulb LED Headlights" on my cart (in my driveway) for $100. while they were out doing the first oil change.

My questions were:
1) Do you like them? Do they provide better illumination? Are they adjustable?

-Yes, although they are definitely whiter and brighter, I've tested and (to me) they aren't blinding to oncoming carts. About 20% more illumination we've been told and I would agree with that - They're not like spotlights for sure, but are an improvement. Definitely improves seeing reflectors and reflective signs. Yes, fully adjustable both horizontally and vertically.

2) Where did you get them? Online, dealer, local golf cart shop?

-Tried some of the above and learned that there are 2 types of LED HEADLIGHTS being sold.
First is a five bulb design which is very bright and the newer installations of that now include a high/low beam switch on a new turn signal stalk that they also install. I did not like the idea of switching hi and low beams frequently. More expensive. Local new and used Yamaha dealers provided that. I had a second bad experience with The Villages Golf Cars in Brownwood (Deceptive). The new Gordon's Garage in LSL was "somewhat" upfront.

-Second design was at Carts and Clubs in Ocala. They tried they said, but dismissed the "5 bulb" design as too bright and instead install the three bulb version in their new carts and retrofits. The retrofit they did on my cart was simply to take out the old halogen bulb and replace with LED in the same existing black housing. Used the same wiring and the same original turn signal bulb. Just the headlight bulb was changed. They drill a hole in the black housing to attach the bulb setup. Took only a few minutes per bulb.

3) Approximately how much did they cost? Did you install them yourself?

-Five LED bulb design with hi/low beam switch prices were all over the place. Low currently seems to be $135. installed per other posters here?
Three LED bulb design (only the bulb needed) was $100. installed if they were already at your house doing servicing. I believe you can also purchase at Carts and Clubs and install yourself at some cost savings.

Last edited by HiHoSteveO; 03-07-2015 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Update info
Old 12-10-2014, 07:46 PM

Most of them are so bright that they blind oncoming traffic or if they are behind you, they blind you from the reflection in the mirrors. Why do you feel you need lights that bright?

If they could adjust them down (which they can't) then maybe they would be okay. As is, they should be banned.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I believe they are available at Wal-Mart, and yes, you can adjust them up or down, just takes a small phillips screwdriver from underneath the cart.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 12-10-2014, 10:31 PM
Gold member

There is a company called Lquid Lights . They advertise on this site but you can also Google them or do a search on here. They install all kind of LED lights . They have a light which is called a LED Amber and white switch back light which is very popular . It is a bright white daytime running light and when you use your directional the Amber will flash .
Old 12-10-2014, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regor View Post
Most of them are so bright that they blind oncoming traffic or if they are behind you, they blind you from the reflection in the mirrors. Why do you feel you need lights that bright?

If they could adjust them down (which they can't) then maybe they would be okay. As is, they should be banned.
I agree with you. Being blinded from oncoming carts with poorly adjusted lights (or distracted and annoyed when they're behind you) is exactly what I'm trying to avoid by asking here. The last thing I would want to do is improve my night vision at the expense of others. The factory original lights do not illuminate very well to both sides and are not adjustable

The lights I'm seeing more of and asking about are not add-on or auxiliary lights, but direct replacements of the existing factory headlights along with the black housing that holds them. They are LED and are a bit whiter and brighter, but the ones I've seen are not obnoxious and seem to be properly adjusted. Premium Yamaha G29 "Drive" Golf Cart Style LED Headlight Tail Light Kit | eBay
Old 12-10-2014, 11:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,558 Times in 507 Posts

The salesperson at TV golf cart store told me that they take off the original lights because they are too bright and replace them with a dull, more wide angled light, whaaaat? Looked at carts at both TV Discount Carts and also from Carts and Clubs (going to buy from them) and they add LED lights to their carts - more of a brighter SPOT light and not the duller, wide angle light.

I want more light to see the walkers and bicycles - most of them do not have reflectors so as to be seen better.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:58 PM
Veteran member

I got mine here for $133 w/shipping. They're located in Brooksville, Fl, so they got here quickly. Also, they are adjustable, and being a little handy will help with the installation.

LED Yamaha Drive Light Kit | Yamaha Golf Cart LED Lights
Old 12-11-2014, 07:43 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by laryb View Post
I got mine here for $133 w/shipping. They're located in Brooksville, Fl, so they got here quickly. Also, they are adjustable, and being a little handy will help with the installation.

LED Yamaha Drive Light Kit | Yamaha Golf Cart LED Lights
Were you able to just use the existing cart wiring for these lights?

Thanks!
Old 12-11-2014, 07:49 AM
Gold member

Have to say, that the one's who have LED Lights for turn signals are great. So many times during the day, you can't even notice some of the turn signal lights in carts, But with the LED Lights, they are so noticeable. Plus, some have turn signal lights on top also. Maybe they will improve headlights for carts soon
Old 12-11-2014, 07:56 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
The salesperson at TV golf cart store told me that they take off the original lights because they are too bright and replace them with a dull, more wide angled light, whaaaat? Looked at carts at both TV Discount Carts and also from Carts and Clubs (going to buy from them) and they add LED lights to their carts - more of a brighter SPOT light and not the duller, wide angle light.

I want more light to see the walkers and bicycles - most of them do not have reflectors so as to be seen better.
Not sure what the salesperson at the TV cart store was talking about.
The carts that they get in don't have ANY lights. They add them when they build the cart.
Old 12-11-2014, 09:09 AM
Veteran member

I have a '15 Club Car with an led light bar....illuminates well and I hope I'm not blinding anyone
Old 12-11-2014, 09:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,558 Times in 507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by philnpat View Post
Not sure what the salesperson at the TV cart store was talking about.
The carts that they get in don't have ANY lights. They add them when they build the cart.
That's what I thought; several other things I was told that didn't add up, that's why I decided to buy from Carts and Clubs in Ocala.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:02 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post
Were you able to just use the existing cart wiring for these lights?

Thanks!
I didn't use the wiring that is provided. I left the inline fittings, and removed and attached the fittings from the original lights to the new ones. For some reason unknown to me, the LED directionals wouldn't work with the original wiring, so I just replaced the LED's with regular bulbs.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:16 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy steam View Post
There is a company called Lquid Lights . They advertise on this site but you can also Google them or do a search on here. They install all kind of LED lights . They have a light which is called a LED Amber and white switch back light which is very popular . It is a bright white daytime running light and when you use your directional the Amber will flash .
I'm having Liquid Lights do the undercarriage and safety lighting on my 2014 Club Car later this month. Do they replace headlights with LEDs as an option?
Old 12-11-2014, 06:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by laryb View Post
I didn't use the wiring that is provided. I left the inline fittings, and removed and attached the fittings from the original lights to the new ones. For some reason unknown to me, the LED directionals wouldn't work with the original wiring, so I just replaced the LED's with regular bulbs.
I forget how I wired mine . When you say the directional would not work? You mean they would not flash? If yes...

That happened to me and I had to find a different flasher. LEDs draw much less current that a normal bulb.

I do not remember which one I bought, but here is an example:

12 Volt 3 Pin Flasher for Golf Carts with LED Lights | Golf Car Catalog

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.