Is My Golf Cart Slow?

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-05-2015, 10:56 AM
2BNTV's Avatar
2BNTV 2BNTV is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,695
Thanks: 1
Thanked 113 Times in 45 Posts
Default Is My Golf Cart Slow?

I know my golf cart does close to 20 MPH but driving around TV, I have noticed many gas golf carts going faster than 20 MPH!!!

I was just curious if anyone else has noticed this or do I need to get my golf cart checked, as I don't have a speedometer, installed!

Isn't a golf cart that does more than 20 MPH subject to a speeding ticket and need to be modified back to do the correct speed limit?

Or, maybe, it's just my golf cart. Curious minds want to know!
__________________
"It doesn't cost "nuttin", to be nice". MOM

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
  #2  
Old 03-05-2015, 11:10 AM
FlamingoFlo FlamingoFlo is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: The Villages (previous: Kittery & Eliot Maine, Portsmouth & Barrington NH, Uncasville CT)
Posts: 105
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

We go 20 mph and get passed a lot. I am guessing it is speeding carts and nothing wrong with yours. Do you have a smartphone? There is an app for the iPhone that checks speed.
  #3  
Old 03-05-2015, 11:11 AM
dewilson58's Avatar
dewilson58 dewilson58 is offline
Sage
Join Date: May 2013
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Posts: 7,726
Thanks: 488
Thanked 4,714 Times in 1,800 Posts
Default

Just like on the HiWay...............there are speeders.

Just do your own test with another cart (with speedo), or with a car.

You are probably fine and legal.
  #4  
Old 03-05-2015, 11:15 AM
rubicon rubicon is offline
Email Reported As Spam
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 13,697
Thanks: 0
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Default

I had a good speedometer installed on my cart and if you are only doing 19-20 be prepared to be overtaken by most of the other carts in your vicinity
  #5  
Old 03-05-2015, 11:23 AM
baustgen baustgen is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 336
Thanks: 0
Thanked 53 Times in 24 Posts
Default

Your car probably goes more than the speed limit. So do some golf carts.
  #6  
Old 03-05-2015, 11:35 AM
Rickg's Avatar
Rickg Rickg is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 379
Thanks: 3
Thanked 33 Times in 9 Posts
Default

If you have a smart phone you can download a speedometer app. that will tell you your speed.
__________________
Yes, we Drank the koolaid
Collier, The Villages
  #7  
Old 03-05-2015, 11:45 AM
dillywho dillywho is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Summerhill
Posts: 1,765
Thanks: 133
Thanked 75 Times in 26 Posts
Default More electric than gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
I know my golf cart does close to 20 MPH but driving around TV, I have noticed many gas golf carts going faster than 20 MPH!!!

I was just curious if anyone else has noticed this or do I need to get my golf cart checked, as I don't have a speedometer, installed!

Isn't a golf cart that does more than 20 MPH subject to a speeding ticket and need to be modified back to do the correct speed limit?

Or, maybe, it's just my golf cart. Curious minds want to know!
Sorry, our cart is gas and is set to go 19.6 mph. I cannot tell you how MANY times we get passed, not by the gas ones, by the ELECTRIC carts. I also notice electric cart ads for high powered ones.

Many people think that the gas carts are too smelly. That is because too many people do not know NOT to put regular gas in them. The higher the octane, the hotter it burns. Small engines require the higher octane. Not only do they run cleaner, but smoother. I did not know this until my niece's husband, who works will all kinds of engines, told us. Since then, we only get the higher octane....big difference!
__________________
Lubbock, TX
Bamberg, Germany
Lawton, OK
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
  #8  
Old 03-05-2015, 11:52 AM
village dreamer village dreamer is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 690
Thanks: 0
Thanked 116 Times in 45 Posts
Default

you can also check with your gps from your car , it is battery. and I think lots of people get the bigger wheels , more speed......22-24 mph
  #9  
Old 03-05-2015, 11:52 AM
otherbruddaDarrell's Avatar
otherbruddaDarrell otherbruddaDarrell is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Indiana,the Villages,Port Charlotte fl ,Summerfield fl, The villages again
Posts: 501
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

You can also use a hand held gps like garmin to check your speed.
  #10  
Old 03-05-2015, 12:02 PM
jnieman jnieman is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,259
Thanks: 2
Thanked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
I know my golf cart does close to 20 MPH but driving around TV, I have noticed many gas golf carts going faster than 20 MPH!!!

I was just curious if anyone else has noticed this or do I need to get my golf cart checked, as I don't have a speedometer, installed!

Isn't a golf cart that does more than 20 MPH subject to a speeding ticket and need to be modified back to do the correct speed limit?

Or, maybe, it's just my golf cart. Curious minds want to know!
My observation of our own cart is that the Villages golf shop set ours to go 20. Most of the time we wern't going 20 but much less because of inclines in the road. The maximum ours would go is 20 but that is only if we were on a totally flat surface with the pedal all the way down. Most of the time we were not on a flat surface. Our cart is now set to go 23 and that seems to keep us at 20 most of the time even when going up a hill. Works for us. Adding a speedometer to our cart makes us much more aware of our speed. Plus we added seatbelts which now I don't know how we ever did without them.
  #11  
Old 03-05-2015, 03:12 PM
2BNTV's Avatar
2BNTV 2BNTV is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 10,695
Thanks: 1
Thanked 113 Times in 45 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
My observation of our own cart is that the Villages golf shop set ours to go 20. Most of the time we wern't going 20 but much less because of inclines in the road. The maximum ours would go is 20 but that is only if we were on a totally flat surface with the pedal all the way down. Most of the time we were not on a flat surface. Our cart is now set to go 23 and that seems to keep us at 20 most of the time even when going up a hill. Works for us. Adding a speedometer to our cart makes us much more aware of our speed. Plus we added seatbelts which now I don't know how we ever did without them.
I realize that going up inclines makes a cart go slower, especially if it is electric, as opposed to gas carts, but almost all carts whiz by me!!!.

I always believed in seat belts, for safety reasons and had them installed also.

I have also seen many people flying around curves and edging to the wrong side of the cart path. Geez, would an extra second to one's trip, tilt the world, off it's axis.

I need to get a horn for protection purposes, as I may need to warn someone, they are pulling, a no no.

Sorry doesn't cut it with me if I get hurt, due to someone negligence. We all say we are sorry to see someone get badly hurt but these faster carts need to rein in their speed on certain occasions. If one needs to get somewhere faster, take your car.

OOP's, I forgot. They have to make their tee times. I lost track of what is really important. My bad.................

BTW - Leaving a few minutes earlier would be a excellent idea to make appointments, etc........
__________________
"It doesn't cost "nuttin", to be nice". MOM

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
  #12  
Old 03-05-2015, 07:01 PM
Shimpy's Avatar
Shimpy Shimpy is offline
Sage
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,696
Thanks: 3
Thanked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillywho View Post
Many people think that the gas carts are too smelly. That is because too many people do not know NOT to put regular gas in them. The higher the octane, the hotter it burns. Small engines require the higher octane. Not only do they run cleaner, but smoother. I did not know this until my niece's husband, who works will all kinds of engines, told us. Since then, we only get the higher octane....big difference!
He is totally wrong. First, high octane doesn't burn hotter, but is slower to ignite which high compression engines need so as not to knock. The higher the compression of the engine the higher octane it needs. Your golf cart is far from a high compression engine and should use only regular or 87 octane. Using high test gas in an engine designed for regular will lead to carbon deposits. It's a popular belief that "high test" means hotter, more energy, more performance, but that isn't true. It is simply an octane which slows down the ignition of the gas in the combustion chamber so as to not allow early firing in the chamber to cause knocking and engine damage.
If in doubt always look into your owners manual. The engineers who built your cart are pretty smart and you can believe them when they say use reg. gas.
__________________
Les
  #13  
Old 03-05-2015, 07:08 PM
RickeyD's Avatar
RickeyD RickeyD is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 2,414
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
He is totally wrong. First, high octane doesn't burn hotter, but is slower to ignite which high compression engines need so as not to knock. The higher the compression of the engine the higher octane it needs. Your golf cart is far from a high compression engine and should use only regular or 87 octane. Using high test gas in an engine designed for regular will lead to carbon deposits. It's a popular belief that "high test" means hotter, more energy, more performance, but that isn't true. It is simply an octane which slows down the ignition of the gas in the combustion chamber so as to not allow early firing in the chamber to cause knocking and engine damage.

If in doubt always look into your owners manual. The engineers who built your cart are pretty smart and you can believe them when they say use reg. gas.

You are correct, unfortunately people will think what they want to think and continue to waste money on high test Is My Golf Cart Slow?
  #14  
Old 03-05-2015, 07:12 PM
Shimpy's Avatar
Shimpy Shimpy is offline
Sage
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,696
Thanks: 3
Thanked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
My observation of our own cart is that the Villages golf shop set ours to go 20. Most of the time we wern't going 20 but much less because of inclines in the road. The maximum ours would go is 20 but that is only if we were on a totally flat surface with the pedal all the way down. Most of the time we were not on a flat surface. Our cart is now set to go 23 and that seems to keep us at 20 most of the time even when going up a hill. .
Mine will go 25 but I only use that capability to quickly pass and get back into our lane. I never pass someone doing 20 except those that do 20 in the straight and then slow down to 5 in the corners.
__________________
Les
  #15  
Old 03-05-2015, 07:18 PM
dbussone's Avatar
dbussone dbussone is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 7,836
Thanks: 0
Thanked 84 Times in 77 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
Mine will go 25 but I only use that capability to quickly pass and get back into our lane. I never pass someone doing 20 except those that do 20 in the straight and then slow down to 5 in the corners.

You're got a hotrod. Mine won't go over 22 downhill.
__________________
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:32 PM.