Golf Cart Confusion seeks clarity

Closed Thread
Old 10-27-2023, 12:51 PM
Default Golf Cart Confusion seeks clarity

Relocating to TV and need a Golf Car/Cart. I went to a dealership in TV and looked at EV and gas. I read the forums and found guidance to include:
1. Buy in GA and have it shipped. (One suggestion, rent a uHaul and bring it)
2. Buy in TV from a dealer.
3. Buy outside TV - "Fast Eddie's" may not be a finalist.
4. Buy used - have on-site repair person or mechanic evaluate.
5. Buy Yamaha Gas - proven reliability
6. Buy EV lithium - Quiet, low maintenance, postpone TV from becoming "ocean front".

The internal battle is between "frugality, not over-spending, being taken advantage of" and "convenience". I can come up with a rationalization for each.

I am leaning towards Used, but need a recommendation on a mechanic or on-site service company to do the evaluation.

Thoughts on thinking or approaches welcome.
Old 10-27-2023, 01:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

If you think you are confused now, wait until you see the responses you get here.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 10-27-2023, 01:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingSouth View Post
Relocating to TV and need a Golf Car/Cart. I went to a dealership in TV and looked at EV and gas. I read the forums and found guidance to include:
6. Buy EV lithium - Quiet, low maintenance, postpone TV from becoming "ocean front".

The internal battle is between "frugality, not over-spending, being taken advantage of" and "convenience". I can come up with a rationalization for each.

I am leaning towards Used, but need a recommendation on a mechanic or on-site service company to do the evaluation.

Bought a new gas Yamaha last January from Country Village Power in Webster, FL and am very happy with the decision.
Old 10-27-2023, 01:59 PM

Everyone likes a quieter cart so when we moved here almost 20 years ago, we got a Club 4 battery electric. It was wonderful until the batteries got a couple years on them and then the range dropped off some. With the new lithium batteries there seems to be many positives as they are supposed to last longer and give much better range. However, the jury is really out on these lithium electric carts because they do not have a long track record.
The only cart out there right now with over 2 decades plus of track record is the Yamaha gas.
With the best ride and handling and steering of all carts and the indestructible Yamaha motor, it is the safe bet. By the way, the Yamaha gas is now almost as quiet as an electric cart.
Old 10-27-2023, 02:06 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,198 Times in 326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
If you think you are confused now, wait until you see the responses you get here.
Love this response! So true. 55 responses. 55 opinions.

Be careful what you ask for…
Old 10-27-2023, 04:57 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,032 Times in 726 Posts

Quote:

You're over thinking it. Buy whatever decent used cart you find, use it for a while, then decide. They're cheap to buy and easy to sell.
Old 10-27-2023, 05:03 PM
Veteran member

Personally we found that buying a used cart was the least stressful route. We bought a low mileage 7 year old cart with several expensive add-ons included for less than 1/3rd the price of a new one.

If something happens with our cart, we'll just buy a newer used one and we'll still be ahead.

Outside of snowbird season, you can see a flood of not very old used carts coming on the market between spring and fall.
Old 10-27-2023, 07:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,126 Times in 2,240 Posts

I agree with above, do not jump immediately into a new cart. Get a nice used one, get to know the villages which is now around 70 square miles, and over 20 miles North to South. Electric GC have some range limitations you may need to consider, and time required to recharge, gas typically can go 200 to 250 miles on a full tank and few minutes to "recharge". The newest Yamaha quietech are actually very nice, we have one and we can hold a conversation at normal voice levels and any speed. Yes, all of the gas golf carts have some odor, which you will typically never smell unless you are backing up, you will smell OTHER gas carts.
My point, get a gas cart use it for a few weeks or months to get an idea of what you actually Need/want, then either keep the cart you picked up or going with something different.
Old 10-27-2023, 09:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Quote:

Thoughts on what shouldn’t buy?

Gas cart with carburetor

Electric cart with old lead acid batteries.
Old 10-28-2023, 04:45 AM
Veteran member

Lithium batteries are expensive to buy then real expensive to replace, which I’ve heard up to $4000 for the higher capacity version, which you will have to replace every 5-8 years. People have posted that the older the batteries get, the mileage range per charge starts to shrink.
Get the newest Yamaha drive2 gas golf cart you can afford. The newer Yamahas have better features, quieter, etc than just a couple of yeas old model. If you buy used, get the 24/7 cart breakdown insurance, and then every year after get it renewed. A new cart usually comes with that kind of insurance, ours did
Old 10-28-2023, 05:08 AM

Quote:

Gas or Electric, IMHO, I love that I can hit the gas station about once every 7-10 days. My 2016 Yamaha gets 50+/- MPG but some swear by batteries. If you get gas, the Yamaha quite tech 2 is the top of the line. When they say quiet tech, they mean it and the ride is much more comfortable. My only regret is I did not get a QT2. I saw some of these for <10k while looking for a friend… depending on number of seats, hours on the engine, etc. I live up north near the Savannah Center and have driven to Southern Oaks to play golf about an hour down, 4 hours on the course and an hour back and never thought twice about batteries dying.
Old 10-28-2023, 05:52 AM
Veteran member

Yamahas are a great cart the quiet motor (gas) great ride , just ancient styling , a new body is waaaay past needed.
Old 10-28-2023, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL99 View Post
You're over thinking it. Buy whatever decent used cart you find, use it for a while, then decide. They're cheap to buy and easy to sell.
This is the best and truest response. After you’ve been here awhile and settled into life, you’ll know what you want and need in a golf cart.
Old 10-28-2023, 06:04 AM

Be careful buying used gas if it isn’t a Yamaha QT2 - the older gas carts are quite noxious - never back it in lest you pollute the entire garage and even the house. The people you pass will hate you too.

Last edited by srswans; 10-28-2023 at 06:22 AM.
Old 10-28-2023, 06:10 AM

Quote:

You're over thinking all this. You have me exhausted now.
Closed Thread

Tags
buy, golf, mechanic, on-site, gas

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.