Negatives on Golf Cars

Old 12-09-2009, 09:47 AM
Default Negatives on Golf Cars

We're just beginning to scope out the golf car scene; hopefully buying in the next couple of months.

Reading some of the threads, one sees many comments that seem just a bit biased - not too surprised at this as it's hard to be objective about your personal golf car and its' shortcomings after you've made the major investment in purchasing it.

So, I won't inquire on your current cart, but on problems (major or recurring) you had with a prior cart or know about personally from a friends cart that would prevent you from ever buying that particular model. Please be specific if you can in listing a major problem or two.

We're most interested in any negative feedback on electric carts from years 2003 to 2008; from your personal experience.

Think of it as completing the following sentence - I owned a ________ golf car for _____ years and would never buy one again or recommend it to a friend because ______.

Question with boldness
Hold to the truth
Speak without fear

"Too soon old...too late smart"

Old 12-09-2009, 09:57 AM
Sage
Default Hills

I will assume you understand range issues of electric carts and your requirements, so my biggest issue as an owner of electric carts is the older models simply do not handle hills well. They cruise at 20 on flats, but can drop to 15ish in the hills of Mallory.

So if buying used take that into account if that matters to you. I know the new Par Car and EZGO handle this much better (I have not driven the other brands).

Old 12-09-2009, 12:34 PM
Default Electric Cart negitives

I currently own a 2007 Yahama Electric. There are two things that you need to be aware of when buying an electric cart. The first one, and not really a problem, is the fact that the older models (mine included) do slow down going up hill. We live in Ashland and travel to all parts of TV, (Havana, Lopez, etc) and don't really find this to be that big of an issue. I have heard that the new EZ Go carts have solved this problem, but I'm not willing to spend another $7000.00 - $9000.00 just so I can go up a hill a litter faster. Besides, the rest of the time we cruse at the legal speed of 19.9 mph and have no problems getting where we want to go. The other issue, and I think the more important one is battery maintenance. Last January we had 8 6 volts batteries installed. This has given us a range of about 65 + miles on a single charge. As I said before, we live in Ashland, and my brother has a house in the historic distric. We took a trip from Ashland to Orange Blossom, down Morse Blvd to Lake Sumter landing, Over to Havana, and back up Buena Vista to Ashland to see how the batteries would handle the load, and only used about 10 % of the battery. The critical issue however is to make sure the batteries remain fully charged. If you are going to be a seasonal resident, than you will want to have someone keep you cart charged while you are away. There are many house sitting services that will keep your cart charged for you (we use Sure Lock Homes Service). Anyway, good luck with your cart purchase and welcome to The Villages.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:01 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayesun View Post
Think of it as completing the following sentence - I owned a ________ golf car for _____ years and would never buy one again or recommend it to a friend because ______.
We rented a Yamaha gas golf cart for one month and would never rent or buy one again because I thought the exhaust fumes stunk to high heaven and it was so loud I had to wear earplugs. (Seriously, I kept a pair of earplugs in the drink holder) Because of the combination of the noise of the golf cart and the use of the earplugs, any conversation while actually using the golf cart was impossible. To me, it was like riding around on a lawn mower -- but that's just my opinion.

We eventually bought an extended range (65+ miles) Yamaha electric and have enjoyed it very much. It goes everywhere in The Villages, but more importantly, it has always gotten us home.
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida

Old 12-09-2009, 02:00 PM
Gold member

We have two golf carts. One a 2009 Yamaha electric and the 2nd is a 2009 E-Z-GO electric. Have had the Yamaha for 18 months and the performance has been steady. That means the top speed is 17.5mph and going up a hill it drops to around 14mph. Been that way since we bought it. Sent it back to the TV dealer and they said it is running fine. Since this cart is used primarily for golf I can live with the 17.5 but the drop off on hills annoys me. So when the time came for a 2nd cart we looked around and settled on the E-Z-GO electric. Very happy with the E-Z-GO. Speed is steady no matter if on a flat road, going up an incline or down one. We have not had any issues with either cart. But hands down we would definitely recommend the E-Z-GO.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:47 PM
Gold member

Most people that I know with electrics, carry tow ropes.

Yoda

Old 12-10-2009, 12:36 PM

I have only been here since April. I have seen numerous carts being towed off streets ect, They were all electric. My cart is a 2006 Par Car electric with under 900 miles on it and came with house purchase. It is on it's second set of $700.00 batteries and the on board charger failed and that cost almost $800.00 to repair. I have golfed for years using gas carts and never found it to loud to talk to my buddies. I cant wait to get a gas cart, and the fumes and noise are way over stated as far as I'm concerned. Global warming be damned I want the 300 mile range. Now if I only could get a V8.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:32 PM

Lived in TV for 12.5 years, We are on our 3rd cart, all of them electric. We drive ours around 3,500 miles per year. Have never been towed. Have towed 2 gas carts home (they just quit, plenty of gas). Traded carts because we wanted newer. Currently own RXV, Best one of all.

Not sure if TV is halfway between Massachusetts and Orlando, though. (Thread starter)

Old 12-10-2009, 03:01 PM
Veteran member

Thank you for all your responses to a great original post!! We are moving to TV in about 5 weeks. My question would be, would gas or electric have the quicker STOP response. Ie: if the accelorator is released and you are ready to brake, which is the safer vehicle...Gas or Electric? By the way, it's -2 as I type this. Brrrrrr

New Jersey,
New York
Germany,
California
Northern MN,
The Villages
Next stop?

Old 12-10-2009, 03:15 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uujudy View Post
We rented a Yamaha gas golf cart for one month and would never rent or buy one again because I thought the exhaust fumes stunk to high heaven and it was so loud I had to wear earplugs. (Seriously, I kept a pair of earplugs in the drink holder) Because of the combination of the noise of the golf cart and the use of the earplugs, any conversation while actually using the golf cart was impossible. To me, it was like riding around on a lawn mower -- but that's just my opinion.

We eventually bought an extended range (65+ miles) Yamaha electric and have enjoyed it very much. It goes everywhere in The Villages, but more importantly, it has always gotten us home.
Not sure where you rented your cart from but there are differenced in Yamaha gas carts.

In July I was here on a LSP and the Yamaha gas cart was very noisy and top speed was about 18 mph (checked with a GPS). I am now renting a home and it came with a brand new Yamaha gas cart and it is night and day difference over the cart I had in July. This cart is not noisy and top speed is 19.9 (checked with a GPS). I even stopped at TV Cart Store and asked about the differences and was told that the carts used in the LSP are "true" golf carts and not used on the streets. The gearing is different and thus ran much quieter. In the new cart you can feel the gear change while I do not remember it in the one used in July.

Based on the one used in July I think I would have looked at other models but now after using the Yamaha gas I would buy one without a doubt.

Next thing is to look at the electric.

Old 12-10-2009, 04:11 PM
Gold member

There will be anecdotal information to support any view. In an attempt to get beyond personal anecdotal information I called one of the companies that offer AAA-like service for golf carts. I figured that they would have the best notion of which carts are most prone to be in need of a tow. Without equivocation he recommended the gas Yamaha for reliability.

However, I have a strong dislike of gas carts - mostly because of their noise but the fumes can be a bit of a problem as well. In probing him about electric carts he surprised me a bit by saying he has had a lot of calls to tow recent vintage EZ-Go carts (perhaps issues with their new AC motor???). I was interested in the Star Car for its leg room as well as its tax rebate and asked him about them. He said that they went through a period of reliability issues but lately they seemed to have cleaned up their problems and have not been a major problem.

On the negative side of Star (and perhaps most electrics except EZ-Go), when we had an extended test drive we found that indeed going up hills was a little like the Little Engine that Could - "I think I can, I think I can". We will still likely go with the Star for the afore-mentioned reasons but if it weren't for the leg room (which my wife needs because of knee issues) and the rebate, I may be tempted to go with EZ-Go because of its ability to deal with hills and its not needing to have a parking brake to keep it from rolling (and despite the report on reliability issues).

Old 12-10-2009, 04:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJblue View Post
On the negative side of Star (and perhaps most electrics except EZ-Go), when we had an extended test drive we found that indeed going up hills was a little like the Little Engine that Could - "I think I can, I think I can". We will still likely go with the Star for the afore-mentioned reasons but if it weren't for the leg room (which my wife needs because of knee issues) and the rebate, I may be tempted to go with EZ-Go because of its ability to deal with hills and its not needing to have a parking brake to keep it from rolling (and despite the report on reliability issues).
I do not sell Par Car, but I have test driven a 2008 and 2009. Not sure the model, the one with the large tires. That like the EZGO (test drove also in Village of Mallory), puts you back in your seat and goes up hills at the same speed as level. When I test drive any cart I bring my GPS .

As far as range on a charge, IMO, be suspicious of range claims of any electric cart with less than (8) 6 volt batteries.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:53 PM
Default Time to Ponder

and test drive a few models; thanks for all the comments. We're in no big hurry to buy so will evaluate a few models in meeting our personal requirements/expectations. On my list is the Yamaha gas on hers are several electric models.

On a side note, we met neighbors out walking last night that own a Yamaha gas and previously had an EZ-Go electric; they both said they liked the EZ better, saying it was easier to drive (and quieter of course). They had no problems/negative comments on Yamaha (gas stink or excessive noise). They both strongly recommended buying new vs. used - this was not our original plan; will have to do some "studying up" on this also.

Question with boldness
Hold to the truth
Speak without fear

"Too soon old...too late smart"

Old 12-11-2009, 06:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayesun View Post
They both strongly recommended buying new vs. used - this was not our original plan; will have to do some "studying up" on this also.
I am not sure I would rule out used, or should I say reconditioned, at least for research. There you may find things you cannot find in new, e.g., high speed gears, custom motors, different battery configurations, etc. As an example Grandpa and Grandma Village Buggies will build you a electric club cart with (8) 6 volt batteries (increased range) and some combination of gears and motor that will take a cart up hill at 20 MPH. I would feel comfortable buying from them, and I suspect there are some other reputable places to buy used. They build electrics, but specialize in reconditioned gas carts which he will drop off at your house for a test drive.

I have to date bought electrics from private owners with good success. I say electric because I feel comfortable working on them if there is an issue which I have never had. What the heck it is just batteries, motor, controller and switches. You will often find carts 3 - 4 years old in great condition for 30 - 40% of original cost (taking into account you will most likely need a new battery set soon).

So many choices , good luck....

Old 12-11-2009, 09:20 AM
Sage
Default I should read before I post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
What the heck it is just batteries, motor, controller and switches.
I meant to put a here as it was intended as tongue in cheek, not to imply I am some expert. What I was saying is that I personally have a much better chance fixing a failed solenoid causing an electric cart to not run than I do fixing a gas cart that is not running right.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.