New golf cart oil change question

Closed Thread
Old 01-10-2023, 10:32 PM
Question New golf cart oil change question

Does The Villages Golf Cars have to do the oil changes or can you do it yourself in order to stay under warranty?

They charge $50, but with an oil change syphon I can quickly do the oil change for the price of the oil. There is no oil filter, so I don't see paying $50, unless doing it yourself voids the warranty.

Thoughts? Will doing it myself void the warranty or do I just need to document when I did it and show proof I bought the oil each time?
Old 01-11-2023, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRP2TV View Post
Does The Villages Golf Cars have to do the oil changes or can you do it yourself in order to stay under warranty?

They charge $50, but with an oil change syphon I can quickly do the oil change for the price of the oil. There is no oil filter, so I don't see paying $50, unless doing it yourself voids the warranty.

Thoughts? Will doing it myself void the warranty or do I just need to document when I did it and show proof I bought the oil each time?
I bought a used 2018 Yamaha quietech from an individual., so I have no warranty. But I understand what you're saying. No way I would pay $50 for them to drain 1 quart and put in 1 quart. That's all it is.
As a longtime motorcycle guy, an oil change doesn't get much easier than this.

That said, if it would void the warranty I would probably bite the bullet and pay them.

Last edited by MX rider; 01-11-2023 at 08:38 AM.
Old 01-11-2023, 08:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

I have mixed feelings about the use of the suction device for an oil change, tried it once, did not seem to work well. To actually drain the oil, you need to jack up the cart and remove 4 bolts to drop the bottom pan to get access to the oil drain plug, so if that is what they are doing, $50 sounds about right. As for the warranty, you should call them directly.
Old 01-11-2023, 08:48 AM

I use a suction device to change the oil in a 2017 quiet tech. I measured how much I sucked out of the dipstick tube, it was really close to a quart. Did I get every drop out no but enough to call it an oil change. Who's to say The Villages Golf Cart store doesn't use a suction device? I owned a boat for years with no access to the drain and suctioned the oil out was never a problem.
Old 01-11-2023, 08:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Gas Golf Cars - The Villages Golf Cars : The Villages Golf Cars

Hometown $60.00
Old 01-11-2023, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRP2TV View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeint View Post
I use a suction device to change the oil in a 2017 quiet tech. I measured how much I sucked out of the dipstick tube, it was really close to a quart. Did I get every drop out no but enough to call it an oil change. Who's to say The Villages Golf Cart store doesn't use a suction device? I owned a boat for years with no access to the drain and suctioned the oil out was never a problem.
Thats good to know, thanks. I've never used one, but it sounds like it's a good way to go on a golf cart.
Old 01-11-2023, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
Exactly $60 versus $6. I think I will chose $6 Alex.
Old 01-11-2023, 09:58 AM
Veteran member

An EWK (brand) pneumatic/manual pump, attaching it to an air hose from a small air compressor is the way to go. Just wiggle the syphon tube around a little at the end and it seems to get almost everything that may be left. Suction seems almost strong enough to pull out a small piston!
I tried 2 hand pumps in the past, and both were worthless for the effort and results as compared to the pneumatic.
As for warranty problems: the best you can do is save the oil purchase receipts and document date and engine hours at time of oil changes.
Old 01-11-2023, 10:01 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,193 Times in 761 Posts

Ask them if it will void your warranty, otherwise do it yourself.
Old 01-11-2023, 10:20 AM

$60.00 is probably fair pricing now days. I had Willie's do a service on our Yamaha back in 2019 and the service of oil change and filters and change rear differential was $140.00.
99% of us Villagers are not hands on and pay and support our local businesspeople.
Old 01-12-2023, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeint View Post
According to a person I know that worked at the Villages Golf Carts in 2021 servicing carts, they suction the oil out.

The first one-year / 1200 mile service at the Villages Golf Cart on our 2020 Yamaha was $170! They changed the oil and put a drive belt on even though I did not request the belt change nor were there any issues with the belt. I’ve been servicing it since. I change the oil 2X/year making sure to use the oil recommended in the manual which I think is 10W-40 JASO MA2, the same as used in wet clutch motorcycles. I also rotate the tires and lube the two Zerk fittings on the drive pulleys. I’ve adjusted the brake pedal play once.

Documentation of the servicing is key. Log date, mileage and hours plus keep all receipts. It’s my understanding that a warranty cannot be denied because the owner performed the services. I’ve been using this approach on motorcycles for many years without any issues.
Old 01-12-2023, 06:13 AM

Where do you take the used oil for disposal?
Old 01-12-2023, 06:22 AM
Veteran member

This is just my opinion but a suction pump does not pick up any crude generated by the engine running. a good oil change drains the crankcase fully. Since Yamaha does not have an oil filter or so I"m told the impurities just build up in the motor.
Old 01-12-2023, 06:24 AM

All this concern over $50...come on...there are bigger things to worry about in this world.
Old 01-12-2023, 06:32 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HJBeck View Post
Where do you take the used oil for disposal?
"Where do you take the used oil for disposal?"

Therein lies the main problem and the reason I've chosen to pay what is basically a $50 disposal fee, instead of doing it myself.
Closed Thread

Tags
oil, change, warranty, golf, $50

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.