NEW LAW Passes July 1st 2013 Allowing Hwy Crossing.

Closed Thread
Old 07-19-2013, 11:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpnsflyer View Post
As of July 1st Golf carts are now able to cross hwy 27, 466, Rolling acres ect.
the Law Reads

316.2126(1)

"Golf Carts may cross the State Highway System if the posted speed limit is 45
or less. In Addition, Golf Carts and Utility Vehicles may operate on sidewalks
adjacent to the Highway only if they yield to pedestrians and the sidewalk is
at least 5 feet wide."

Hi there bringer of new information. Who are ya and what brings you here with this news?
Old 07-19-2013, 11:14 AM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
Finally!!! Yea!!! Pedestrians can cross and bicyclist can cross. I never understood why gold carts weren't allowed to cross.

I live in Silver Lake. The CVS is less than a half mile from my house. In order to go there in my golf cart, I have to drive one mile to the golf cart bridge, cross the bridge and drive another mile back to CVS. A two mile trip to go.42 miles.

Is this absolute? Where did you see this reported?
if that possibility ever does come to pass - don't count on being able to cross @ the light for 27/441 and griffin ave - lady lake is not likely to give carts 'permission' to use that short stretch of griffin! the accidents in the area of that traffic light are bad enuf without carts in the mix!

Old 07-19-2013, 12:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

The issue that I can see, trying to look at it objectively, is that a golf cart is a motorized vehicle. Allowing it to cross at a crosswalk would effectively turn it into a pedestrian.
So the question becomes if it is allowed do you go on the green light or do you go according to the pedestrian light.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:11 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpnsflyer View Post
As of July 1st Golf carts are now able to cross hwy 27, 466, Rolling acres ect.
the Law Reads

316.2126(1)

"Golf Carts may cross the State Highway System if the posted speed limit is 45
or less. In Addition, Golf Carts and Utility Vehicles may operate on sidewalks
adjacent to the Highway only if they yield to pedestrians and the sidewalk is
at least 5 feet wide."
Wrong, here are the facts;
Good Afternoon,
In reference to golf carts crossing US 27, the Florida State Statute authorizing golf carts to cross a state highway requires a DOT location approval. I have included the statute narrative here:

316.212 Operation of golf carts on certain roadways.—The operation of a golf cart upon the public roads or streets of this state is prohibited except as provided herein:
(1) A golf cart may be operated only upon a county road that has been designated by a county, or a municipal street that has been designated by a municipality, for use by golf carts. Prior to making such a designation, the responsible local governmental entity must first determine that golf carts may safely travel on or cross the public road or street, considering factors including the speed, volume, and character of motor vehicle traffic using the road or street. Upon a determination that golf carts may be safely operated on a designated road or street, the responsible governmental entity shall post appropriate signs to indicate that such operation is allowed.
(2) A golf cart may be operated on a part of the State Highway System only under the following conditions:
(a) To cross a portion of the State Highway System which intersects a county road or municipal street that has been designated for use by golf carts if the Department of Transportation has reviewed and approved the location and design of the crossing and any traffic control devices needed for safety purposes.

Crossing a state highway is now permitted for government golf carts with certain restrictions. It does not apply to privately owned carts:

316.2126 Authorized use of golf carts, low-speed vehicles, and utility vehicles.—
(1) In addition to the powers granted by ss. 316.212 and 316.2125, municipalities are authorized to use golf carts and utility vehicles, as defined in s. 320.01, upon any state, county, or municipal roads located within the corporate limits of such municipalities, subject to the following conditions:
(a) Golf carts and utility vehicles must comply with the operational and safety requirements in ss. 316.212 and 316.2125, and with any more restrictive ordinances enacted by the local governmental entity pursuant to s. 316.212(8), and shall be operated only by municipal employees for municipal purposes, including, but not limited to, police patrol, traffic enforcement, and inspection of public facilities.
(b) In addition to the safety equipment required in s. 316.212(6) and any more restrictive safety equipment required by the local governmental entity pursuant to s. 316.212(8), such golf carts and utility vehicles must be equipped with sufficient lighting and turn signal equipment.
(c) Golf carts and utility vehicles may be operated only on state roads that have a posted speed limit of 30 miles per hour or less.
(d) Golf carts and utility vehicles may cross a portion of the State Highway System which has a posted speed limit of 45 miles per hour or less only at an intersection with an official traffic control device.

Last edited by Moderator; 07-19-2013 at 01:39 PM. Reason: edited color
Old 07-19-2013, 02:23 PM
Veteran member

I think we'll be hearing alot of sirens!
Old 07-19-2013, 03:36 PM
Sage

Makes no sense to me if I can cross a road faster and be more visible in a golf cart than walking, why it would be outlawed.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.