tomberlin golf carts

Closed Thread
Old 01-20-2012, 10:47 PM
Platinum member
Default tomberlin golf carts

this might get moved from this forum, but I wanted to know what anybody knows about Tomberlin Golf Carts.....we looked at one at the Villages Golf Cart store yesterday and we were very impressed by the safety, and they are just cute! Love the Orange one! I should put navy blue side curtains and navy blue seats on one to make it Illini colors.......
Old 01-20-2012, 11:39 PM
Gold member
Default Love em

Love them and yes this will most likely be moved by our Admins and Moderators.

IMHO Best made Cart out there for safety. Thats from a Carguy. I buy from the bottom up. Not the top down. Golf Guys hate the E brake location.

Yamaha is a well built reliable proven machine, They just smell! And I have Asthma from years of leaning over vehicles emission testing and training.

Have to hold my breath in the Tunnells on a busy day.

I will buy a Tomberlin when I get there. Already joined the Tomberlin Club. WANT the Shelby GT with the AC motor but cannot afford the price!

Now be prepared to get beat up but the Gas People! Incoming Range Anxiety

Although there is a new trend to save fuel go clean and green with electric cart.

If you do go Gas the new Fuel Injection Yamaha is a much inproved animal.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:03 AM
Gold member

You do realize that the Tomberlin line of carts are street legal vehicles capable of 25mph and must be registered and insured (~$400/yr) before they can be driven on the streets in TV. And this is true even though the newer model Tomberlins have a Hi/Lo speed switch. If you fail to register them, you will be stopped and give a citation that will cost several hundred dollars and require a court appearance.

But the street legal aspect affords you the opportunity get where you're going quicker and go where regular golf carts are forbidden to travel.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:08 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to BlueHeronFan

They can be registered as an LSV or a golf cart, just as the Columbia Par Car can be.
Been there done that, and as a golf cart, my yearly insurance from State Farm, is $137per yr.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:29 AM

You make the decision at the time of purchase whether it is an LSV or golf cart. I bought my Tomberlin as a golf cart therefore it has the same insurance as a regular cart. My maximum speed is set at 20MPH. The Villages only sells Tomberlins as golf carts. The nice thing about the Tomberlin is that it has all the extras and safety features but still is treated as a regular golf cart. I like mine very much.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by playgolf06 View Post
You make the decision at the time of purchase whether it is an LSV or golf cart. I bought my Tomberlin as a golf cart therefore it has the same insurance as a regular cart. My maximum speed is set at 20MPH. The Villages only sells Tomberlins as golf carts. The nice thing about the Tomberlin is that it has all the extras and safety features but still is treated as a regular golf cart. I like mine very much.
How do they compare in price to the EZ Go, Yamaha and Club Car?

Thanks
Old 01-21-2012, 11:56 AM
Platinum member

Connie - they are still all electric. No gas. I thought you wanted a gas powered cart.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 01-21-2012, 12:01 PM

Just to add what play golf said, if you purchased the cart thought the Villages Golf Store it will be a non LSV. Reason being, they can't sell LSV's, they don't have a auto license. The non-LSV's carry all the safety features of the LSV's, the only difference is the controller that regulates the speed. If you want to buy a LSV pm me and I can hook you up. We have a very large Tomberlin club, and meet every 4th Wednesday if interested pm me.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:58 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdul981 View Post
Connie - they are still all electric. No gas. I thought you wanted a gas powered cart.
Chuck wants gas, I want electric with an onboard charger.

The Tomberlin seems extremely safe and I am not going to register it as street legal.

leaning toward a orange body with navy blue curtains .....ILLINI colors!
Old 01-21-2012, 03:02 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by playgolf06 View Post
I am happy with the 20mph governer. I don't think I need to be out on the highway with my golf cart! I am dangerous enough on the multi modal paths!
Old 01-22-2012, 09:20 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHeronFan;4***88
They can be registered as an LSV or a golf cart, just as the Columbia Par Car can be.
Been there done that, and as a golf cart, my yearly insurance from State Farm, is $137per yr.
Columbia Par Cars manufactures two models of the Eagle. One is a standard 19mph golf cart model and the other is the Eagle NEV which is a 25mph LSV. They also offer the Summit model which is only available as a NEV/LSV.

To my knowledge Tomberlin's Emerge models have only been offered as a Low Speed Vehicle and each one comes with a VIN number and a Certificate of Origin that states that it is an LSV.

The fact that the Tomberlin dealership in Wildwood (which went out of business last year) or The Villages Golf Carts has elected to downgrade the controller, remove the VIN and write a bill of sale as a golf cart does not change the fact that it is still an LSV. And the fact that you have decided to make your own rules regarding this doesn’t make it legal.

But I will contact the Sumter County Sheriff’s office for a clarification. Remember that the unique look of the Emerge makes it stand out in a crowd.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:58 PM
Gold member
Default no-vin

You can buy a E-Merge that is manufactured and sold with no vin .

The same Cart as the LSV version except the Curtis Controller has be limited to 20 MPH.

I want a Shelby but that means Street Legal!

Gotta be one for sale out there!

Herv
Old 01-23-2012, 11:17 PM
BOMBERO
Default ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGuys;4***17
Love them and yes this will most likely be moved by our Admins and Moderators.

IMHO Best made Cart out there for safety. Thats from a Carguy. I buy from the bottom up. Not the top down. Golf Guys hate the E brake location.

Yamaha is a well built reliable proven machine, They just smell! And I have Asthma from years of leaning over vehicles emission testing and training.

Have to hold my breath in the Tunnells on a busy day.

I will buy a Tomberlin when I get there. Already joined the Tomberlin Club. WANT the Shelby GT with the AC motor but cannot afford the price!

Now be prepared to get beat up but the Gas People! Incoming Range Anxiety

Although there is a new trend to save fuel go clean and green with electric cart.

If you do go Gas the new Fuel Injection Yamaha is a much inproved animal.
"clean and green".... you do know alot of electric plants in Florida are coal fired.

"Have to hold my breath in the Tunnells on a busy day." ....that's from the carts in front of you, not your cart.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:15 AM
Gold member
Default Opinions

Yes your correct, And for general transportation Gas is still at present the best bang for the buck. That is with road transporation.

I'm talking 50k Gas carts all belching more raw HC and excessive CO than necessary for healthy lungs to breath, Of course can we taste or smell CO no.

You would have to be in a EPA test lab like I have been watching engines pass calibrations certifications to be sold to convince you.

My single cylinder lawn mower on a CO analyzer produces more emissions than my Silverado V-8. It was fun to watch the kids and young techs eyes light up when I demonstrated this.

Heck A Cigarettee produces more CO than most modern day engines.

I'll lock myself in my garage doors down with my truck running,

You by pass the start stop feature idle that cart in your garage .

In a hour I'll walk out, you will get carried out feet first. DEAD!

And yes we use more foreign oil to power electrical plants than local oil Yadda Yadda the argument goes on. I'm not running a electric cart on coal?

Now in defence of Gas. A fuel injected gas cart with a Catalytic converter installed would be very clean. It would start the course grass on fire or melt your vinyl seat but it would be clean.

Golf Courses are soon going to be mandated to rent or allow only electric no gas carts allowed. Several states have retirement communities that have banned the sale and operation of Gas Carts.

A gas cart pollutes more in one hour than 100 cars driving within the villages
at the same time.

Hey it's America. Each to each own. And on and on and on goes the debate!

Old 01-24-2012, 10:08 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGuys View Post
You can buy a E-Merge that is manufactured and sold with no vin .

The same Cart as the LSV version except the Curtis Controller has be limited to 20 MPH.
Well, it took a phone call direct to Tomberlin headquarters to get this straightened out. It turns out that you and the others are correct, they do in fact manufacture a non street legal golf cart that is called the Golf Sport.

The problem is that they just don't show it on their web site. I suspect that will change because if they make a model they should show it on the web site.

So I stand corrected. But I'll still stand by my opinion that you cannot just reprogram an E-Merge LSV for 19mph and drive it unregistered.

I'll have to check out this Golf Sport model. If it has the other safety features of an E-Merge, it's worth considering.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.