New vs Reconditioned Carts

Closed Thread
Old 01-30-2015, 08:12 PM
Default New vs Reconditioned Carts

I keep kicking this around in my head. I can buy a cosmetically perfect cart from The Villages for about $1,400 less than New. They're nice, New paint, New seat New umbrella New wheels and tires, etc. They have 3 year warranty vs 4 or 5 for New. What is my best value? I never say money is not an issue but I don't suppose $1,400 will make or break us, just want to get the best value (and yes there is always another way we could spend the $). TO TV members have never steered me wrong in the past.
Old 01-30-2015, 08:25 PM
Veteran member

A friend of mine bought a reconditioned one from TV Golf Carts and I swear, it looks brand new!

Wanda
Village of Collier

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before. ~Mae West

Old 01-30-2015, 08:40 PM

I am having one built by Village Discount on 466. It's a 2012 Yamaha gas being completely re-built with everything new. The nicest part is they have a mechanism that coverts back and forth from a 2 seater to a 4 seater. The upgrades they make to the cart are far cheaper than any of the other places selling new carts.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

If you decide to go reconditioned, I recommend Villages Discount Golf Carts also; if you go new, go with Carts and Clubs in Ocala. The wife's will be new, mine will be reconditioned......😁
Old 01-30-2015, 09:14 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
If you decide to go reconditioned, I recommend Villages Discount Golf Carts also; if you go new, go with Carts and Clubs in Ocala. The wife's will be new, mine will be reconditioned......😁
You are a very smart man, I can tell.

Wanda
Village of Collier

Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before. ~Mae West

Old 01-30-2015, 09:28 PM
Veteran member

Cosmetically, the reconditioned carts will look almost new. Put a coat of paint, new tires, canvas and upholstery and they look fine. How about the drivetrain??

Some carts have hour meters which will tally up the amount of usage. My EZGO electric can get plugged into a computer and it will show mileage and total amperage used which will give you an idea of the amount of use. Some golf carts do not have either to judge if the cart was driven 5,000 miles, 25,000 or 50,000 miles.

Not trying to spend your money, but if it was me and $1400 was the difference between a reconditioned and new, I would go with new every time!
Old 01-30-2015, 09:31 PM

I bought a reconditioned yamaha. Great vehicle. I've found that folks who buy new will recommend new, folks who buy reconditioned recommend reconditioned. No surprise there. What was your question again?
Old 01-31-2015, 07:43 AM

If you want a reconditioned cart, go to Grandpas & Grandmas on 441. I bought mine there and they have been great. You pick out everything, colors, seats, etc. It looks like new.

I wanted a cart t hat was pretty well "decked out" and I shopped around new and reconditioned and decided on one from Grandpa & Grandma's not only for price [about $3000 less, but also because of Scott's knowledge of carts. They sell Club and Yamaha both gas and electric.

At lease you owe it to yourself to go see them for yourself. 352-552-8478
Old 01-31-2015, 10:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldseekur View Post
If you want a reconditioned cart, go to Grandpas & Grandmas on 441. I bought mine there and they have been great. You pick out everything, colors, seats, etc. It looks like new...
I second Grandpas & Grandmas, they do a great job. When I was shopping for a cart in 2011 I was stuck between buying from them or TV carts at LSL. The refurbished Club Car at G&G had everything, Ultimate seats, black roof, big mirrors, 2 sand bottles, ball & club washer, SS Wheels, etc. priced at $8300. At LSL a compartive new 2011 Yamaha with everything was $10,300. Even though the Club Car was only a year old, I didn't feel at the time $2,000 was a big enough difference to go off campus. Also, even thought their Club Cars are only a year old, they buy their used carts from a golf Course in Virginia, so they are probably used everyday on the course for that entire year and have quite a few miles on the engine.

As the previous poster indicated, it's now a $3,000 difference. So maybe Grandma & Grandpa have come down a little on their prices. They are at least worth checking out before you decide to buy. Here's my cart, photo taken about a year ago. One suggestion, if you get the Ultimate Seats, get the model with the center armrest like mine.

The Villages Florida

Last edited by John_W; 03-21-2015 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:50 AM
Platinum member

Two years ago, I bought a new gas E-Z-Go from Golf Cart Depot, just north of Tampa (about an hours drive), and saved $2,500....they deliver to The Villages all the time (delivered 2 the day I got mine). I get it serviced at the E-Z-Go dealer on 44 (they don't care where you bought it)....
Old 01-31-2015, 11:02 AM
Veteran member

Last year I bought a new 2014 gas Yamaha from The Villages store on LSL. They had a shipment of brand new carbureted models and the difference in price was approximately $1400 less than an EFI model. Same equipment, warrantee etc. The out-the-door price with sales tax etc was under $9000.
Old 01-31-2015, 06:33 PM

last year I bought a cart from a 9 hole course in Minnesota. The golf course went broke and sold there two year old EZGO carts for $3100 each. I bought one and brought it down here and paid a shop $900 to enclose the cart and redo the seats to match the enclosure. I adjusted the governor from 6 mph to 22 mph. For $4000 I couldn’t be happier. Carts are much cheaper and have a lot less hours on them from the snow country then what you will find down here where they run the wheels off them and want almost new prices for them. If you are planning a trip up north you might want to look at the Craig's List up there.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,316 Times in 870 Posts

Just as the discussion between gas and electric, the new vs recon will have their supporters and their detractors.......based on their own preferences. My advise, do what you feel comfortable doing, spend what you feel comfortable spending then get in whatever you buy and enjoy the ride.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 01-31-2015, 10:36 PM

Grandma,and Grandpa's 352-552-8478. I've had mine 4 years, no problems still looks new.
Old 02-01-2015, 07:57 AM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgammon6 View Post
Grandma,and Grandpa's 352-552-8478. I've had mine 4 years, no problems still looks new.
GAS OR ELECTRIC --Does Grandma and Grandpas have mostly electric or gas? Where are they located?

If you buy a Yamaha gas cart from someone besides the villages will you be able to get service, after the warranty period from the villages new service station?

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.