Newbie with some golf cart questions

Closed Thread
Old 06-13-2011, 09:15 PM
Sage
Default Newbie with some golf cart questions

When I rent in TV next month, it will be my first time driving a golf cart. Will it be helpful to have my portable Tom-Tom GPS while I'm driving the golf cart (this is the GPS that I use with my automobile) -- just to give me an idea of the direction I’m going and distance from my destination as it probably won't detect the golf cart trails (or would it detect the golf cart trails?). Would my GPS be able to detect how fast the golf cart is going so that I keep it close to 19 MPH and not drag along at 13 MPH?

What speed is safe for going over golf cart bridges, through tunnels, driving in Spanish Springs and Lake Sumter Landing and in parking lots? In the neighborhoods getting to the golf cart trails, what speed is considered safe? Any other places the speed of the golf cart should be reduced?

The villa I’m renting is in Chatham, about 3 blocks south of Nancy Lopez and about 4 blocks west of Buena Vista. The landlord told me that driving the golf cart from the villa it will take about 25 minutes to get to Spanish Springs and about 35 minutes to get to Lake Sumter Landing – does that sound correct? I will need to build in about an extra 10 minutes each way for getting lost , although I’ve read many times in TOTV that many drivers will help with directions. Hope this doesn’t sound like a dumb question – are there sign posts near the golf cart trails that point golf cart drivers in the direction of SS and LSL?

Thanks in advance for all advice and suggestions.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:28 PM

Our first experience traveling around the Villages in a golf cart proved to us that allowing 10 mins. each way for getting lost was not enough. We spent almost as much time lost as it would take to get there had we know where we we going. But, no complaints here. We were having a blast even when lost.

Jim
Old 06-13-2011, 09:34 PM
Sage

I shall start preparing a sign to bring with me: "Help Me I'm Lost!" to affix to the back of the golf cart .
Old 06-13-2011, 09:40 PM
Gold member

Make sure you buy the village map. It shows all the golf cart paths on it. You can get one at the sales center in Lake Sumters landing for $5.00 and also at the Banner Mercentile stores. All you have to do is pull off the cart path with the map in hand and you'll have people stopping to help you out.
Old 06-13-2011, 09:52 PM

Ditto
Old 06-13-2011, 09:57 PM
Sage

Schaumburger - You're right on the money with the GPS - it more than likely won't show the multi-modal paths but it will display your speed for you. But as had already been suggested, get the $5 map........but don't try to use it while driving the cart! Heh heh! And it can take the place of your "I'm lost" sign - just pull the cart over anywhere, whip out the $5 map, and somebody will quickly stop by to ask if you need any help!

Bill
Old 06-13-2011, 10:34 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
I shall start preparing a sign to bring with me: "Help Me I'm Lost!" to affix to the back of the golf cart .
You don't need the sign. If you just stop and look lost you'll have plenty of help.

C
Old 06-13-2011, 10:35 PM
Sage
Default Have the $5.00 map

Thanks for the $5 map suggestion. I bought one last July when I was in TV. It's probably a little out of date by now, but I will make do with it...the way TV is still expanding, the map probably gets revised every quarter.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:52 PM
Sage

LSL: Take Buena Vista south, cross under 466, at fifth traffic circle take Old Mill Run East (left) to LSL.

SS: Take Buena Vista to El Camino Real (at Savannah Center), stay on El Camino going generally East and it will take you to SS. (It changes names near SS - first change to Paige Pl as you cross Morse, and then to Bichara Blvd as it enters the SS area)

Go slow in congested areas, pedal to the metal in wide open ones.
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 06-13-2011, 10:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
Thanks for the $5 map suggestion. I bought one last July when I was in TV. It's probably a little out of date by now, but I will make do with it...the way TV is still expanding, the map probably gets revised every quarter.
Most changes are at far South end of TV, you are staying near far North end of TV, about 10 miles between the two - don't worry about recent changes.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 06-13-2011, 10:56 PM
Gold member

Legal golf cart speed is 20 MPH. If you are getting it with your rental home, the owner should have it set for 20 max so you can't get in trouble for speeding. With the $5 map from the sales center, and a few days of exploration, you should develop a comfort level getting around. I suggest you become quite comfortable before trying a night ride.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca View Post
LSL: Take Buena Vista south, cross under 466, at fifth traffic circle take Old Mill Run East (left) to LSL.

SS: Take Buena Vista to El Camino Real (at Savannah Center), stay on El Camino going generally East and it will take you to SS. (It changes names near SS - first change to Paige Pl as you cross Morse, and then to Bichara Blvd as it enters the SS area)

Go slow in congested areas, pedal to the metal in wide open ones.
Chuck, Thank you for the directions!
Old 06-13-2011, 11:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy View Post
Legal golf cart speed is 20 MPH. If you are getting it with your rental home, the owner should have it set for 20 max so you can't get in trouble for speeding. With the $5 map from the sales center, and a few days of exploration, you should develop a comfort level getting around. I suggest you become quite comfortable before trying a night ride.
Buzzy, The landlord already told me that the max. speed on the golf cart is 20mph. Night riding -- probably not during this visit. As the sunset isn't until 8:25 p.m. I should be OK. Even at home my cat rarely lets me stay out past 8:00 p.m. on school nights.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:29 AM
Veteran member

Our first time was quite memorable. I had studied all the maps realizing Buena Vista and Morse were the main north south arteries and 466 Camino Real were east west. We jumped right into our SLOW Lifestyles cart and took off to see our new home under contract waiting for closing. What I didn't realize was the multi modal paths didn't always run parallel to BV or Morse (actually Morse has lanes in the roadway mostly north of 466). Ask my co-pilot for a map reading and she thought I had the map. OMG we got lost at every turn!

No worries in less than 60 seconds folks noticed the frustrated "where the heck are we look" an stopped to help us. Now THAT's Florida's Friendliest Hometown in action!

Next day with map in hand we set out and only had to stop once. We learned how to read the MM signs for this trail or that.....Still will have to learn better when we get down permanently this fall.

"The difficult we can do immediately the impossible just takes a little longer"
Old 06-14-2011, 07:39 AM
Veteran member

Get a compass that sticks on the inside of the windshield.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.