NHSTA Crash Tests LSV

Closed Thread
Old 05-20-2010, 05:34 PM
Gold member
Default NHSTA Crash Tests LSV

Sorry but you have to watch a commercial before you view this. After watching, you may want to ask yourself, do I really want to operate my LSV outside of the lanes marked for golf carts and bicycles in TV?

http://online.wsj.com/video/lsv-fare...5A01B0725.html

Last edited by Hancle704; 05-20-2010 at 05:38 PM. Reason: added link address
Old 05-20-2010, 07:42 PM
Gold member

I agree. We have an LSV but don't operate it as anything but a golf cart. However, that being said, there is a lesson here for all golf carts and LSVs - anytime you are on a road, even if you are in a golf cart lane, a confrontation with a car or truck could be deadly.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:27 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW
Default I Think I will always let the Dummy drive

He usually wants to anyway. Seriously, this is a bit daunting for someone who is about to purchase her first cart.
Old 05-20-2010, 10:01 PM
Platinum member

I don't know why this video would be surprising to anybody. I don't understand why people spend money to license and register LSV's just to become a nuisence on the road, IMHO. They are a death wish waiting to happen and they hold up traffic. I think it is a high price to pay just to cross Rt. 441 to get to Lowe's when you can still get there via the golf cart bridge as well as anywhere else in TV on a standard cart.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:45 AM
Banned

Any car is dangerous in a crash. The LSV are even more dangerous but they are driven on low speed highways. So I think the risk is not such a big issue. Yep if you get hit from the side or head on you may be seriously injured just like if you were walking across a street.
There are risks in life, don't be afraid to live it.
Having said that I personally agree that LSV are a poor choice but I don't think someone who desires that as a TV vehicle should be denied.

On another subject I think the grossley sped up Golf carts are far more dangerous. I was passed by one yesterday that was very unstable at the higher speed it was running (seemed like nearly 30MPH). It was constanty fish tailing due to the high speed and a suspension that is not capable of the higher speed. I am sure it was going faster than the max that LSVs are suppose to go. I would hate to see if he had to do an emergency stop. I am probably wrong but one cop in a golf cart traveling TV could pick off most of these morons in a few weeks.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hancle704 View Post
Sorry but you have to watch a commercial before you view this. After watching, you may want to ask yourself, do I really want to operate my LSV outside of the lanes marked for golf carts and bicycles in TV?

http://online.wsj.com/video/lsv-fare...5A01B0725.html
On the other hand, the Smart Car did better and it's almost the same size as the Gem car, which was the LSV in the video. The primary difference was the airbags and the protective crash cage of the Smart Car. I wouldn't want to be in a crash with either. The main difference is that LSVs, like the Gem, are permitted to drive only on roads that are 35mph, or less. The Smart can drive anywhere. Also, bicycles are permitted on most roads, even those above 35mph, where bike lanes may not be available. What is the Florida driving motto: "...share the road", I believe?
Old 05-21-2010, 08:20 AM
Veteran member

The LSV's maximum speed is 25mph. They are allowed to be driven on roads with speeds up to 35mph. This creates a hazard for vehicles traveling at 35mph or above.

Try driving down Buena Vista at 35mph. Traffic generally moves at around 40mph. Then there are those traveling at 46-50 mph or more.

These vehicles usually come up on an LSV plodding along in the right lane. So sooner or later the car driver changes lanes to the left lane. Hopefully, not while somebody else is in the left lane at the same time.

Throw in the fact that many drivers of vehicles in TV have slower reflexes, not the best eye sight and hearing, and many have at least one, if not two, dogs in their laps, and you can draw your own conclusions.

If you want to risk your life in an LSV, good luck. But why risk it on a street with a 35mph "suggested" speed limit just because you can?
Old 05-21-2010, 08:29 AM
Veteran member

I cannot make comment as I drive a motorcycle.
Old 05-21-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmertl View Post
The LSV's maximum speed is 25mph. They are allowed to be driven on roads with speeds up to 35mph. This creates a hazard for vehicles traveling at 35mph or above.

Try driving down Buena Vista at 35mph. Traffic generally moves at around 40mph. Then there are those traveling at 46-50 mph or more.

These vehicles usually come up on an LSV plodding along in the right lane. So sooner or later the car driver changes lanes to the left lane. Hopefully, not while somebody else is in the left lane at the same time.

Throw in the fact that many drivers of vehicles in TV have slower reflexes, not the best eye sight and hearing, and many have at least one, if not two, dogs in their laps, and you can draw your own conclusions.

If you want to risk your life in an LSV, good luck. But why risk it on a street with a 35mph "suggested" speed limit just because you can?
Then, maybe, LSVs should be built to do the legal speed limit for the roads that they are permitted to drive on. Bicyclists, under the above scenario, should be banned from all roads that don't have bike lanes, unless the riders can do the full speed limit. Hey, what about car drivers who actually follow the speed limits, maybe they should get off the road, too, to get out of the way of all those speeders. Welcome to the autobahn! Or, again, we need to all learn to share the road with all types of vehicles that are legally permitted on roads.

Enough...I feel better now! https://www.talkofthevillages.com/fo...lies/crap2.gif
Old 06-21-2010, 04:39 PM
Veteran member
Default For Safety, Stay on Cart Paths

LSV's are if you want to take your cart to Lowes, East Side Medical, Kohls etc. The law permits to cross streets with higher speed limits. You can cross 466, 42, 441 at lights but you may not drive on them. To me, this is the major advantage of LSV's. I believe that driving them on streets such as El Camino Real is suicidal. Traffic is moving at high speed, few seem to honor the 35mph speed limit and some at travelling at speeds of 50mph plus. A lapse of attention by the driver can result in them plowing into the LSV.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:11 PM
Platinum member

I agree with most of what you said, BBQMan, but you can still get to Lowe's, East Side Medical, Cracker Barrel, Bealls, and even Walmart by using the golf cart bridge.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:43 PM

whats missing here is the fact that lsv vehicles have the safety equipment like 4 wheel hydraulic brakes,safety glass windshield,side view mirrors as well as rear view mirror,seat belts,etc etc etc.....they can be used as golf carts but golf carts cant come close to what an lsv has!!!!!!!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.