No brakes on 2009 Yamaha?

Closed Thread
Old 02-28-2022, 06:14 PM
Question No brakes on 2009 Yamaha?

I have been wanting to adjust the brakes on my Yamaha golf cart as they are close to the floor. I popped off the rear tire and much to my surprise, no brakes found. I traced the cable back from the pedal, and it appears to have a trans brake. Odd as not really mentioned anywhere about this system. I dont have a lift so I called Villages Golf Carts for service. The cart was purchased there. I was told "We dont fix carts that old." Old?
So, looking for an outside cart service provider with help from the forum. Also, does anyone know if a trans brake can be adjusted? The pedal end just has a nut on the cable, does not seem to do much else.
Anyway,
Thaks in advance.
Bud
Old 02-28-2022, 06:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,147 Times in 2,246 Posts

Sorry to tell you the transaxle brakes have a very bad reputation, and the last I saw are very expensive to replace/repair. You may have to completely replace the transaxle. I hope others have found a suitable solution or an economical way to rebuild these. I have no idea if there is a way to retrofit conventional brakes (drum brakes) on these vintage carts.
Old 03-01-2022, 08:38 AM
Default Golf Cart Brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by RI401 View Post
I have been wanting to adjust the brakes on my Yamaha golf cart as they are close to the floor. I popped off the rear tire and much to my surprise, no brakes found. I traced the cable back from the pedal, and it appears to have a trans brake. Odd as not really mentioned anywhere about this system. I dont have a lift so I called Villages Golf Carts for service. The cart was purchased there. I was told "We dont fix carts that old." Old?
So, looking for an outside cart service provider with help from the forum. Also, does anyone know if a trans brake can be adjusted? The pedal end just has a nut on the cable, does not seem to do much else.
Anyway,
Thaks in advance.

Bud
While golf cart brakes are adjustable, there is a limit and you may not have any adjustment left. Willie's Golf Cart Repair (352-255-1369) comes to my house and takes care of general service. He has adjusted my brakes once but told me there's not much left.
Old 03-02-2022, 12:52 AM
Smile Interesting

I found the transaxle brake is very effective system and universally misunderstood. The brake friction plate works much like a clutch and is surrounded by oil. The past owner changed the trans oil with gear oil, thus making the friction ability of the disk less. The new oil change will be Yamalube shaft drive oil(with friction modifier). It will allow the friction plates inside the trans work as designed. I found this happens sometimes with synthetic oil in motorcycles with the clutch being too slick to engage.
The cable has no effect on adjustment, the transaxle will not need to be replaced. Hopefully someone with the same issue will find this and not need to search for days for a solution.
Bud
Old 03-02-2022, 07:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

This guy is awesome.

Todd Casey Golf Cart Repairs
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-02-2022, 07:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Sorry to tell you the transaxle brakes have a very bad reputation, and the last I saw are very expensive to replace/repair. You may have to completely replace the transaxle. I hope others have found a suitable solution or an economical way to rebuild these. I have no idea if there is a way to retrofit conventional brakes (drum brakes) on these vintage carts.
That's too bad because it seems that this is the way that all golf carts are going (or stopping) in the future. My EZGo Elite has the same thing.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 03-02-2022, 07:23 AM

Just an FYI, starting with the 2017 and through current model years, Yamaha did away with the transaxle wet brake system. They went back to the conventional rear drum brakes.
The old wet brake system worked extremely well as long as the rear end fluid was maintained properly.
Old 04-28-2022, 07:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

IMO golf cart approaching or exceeding 20 MPH should have disk brakes on all 4 wheels as much as they cost.
Old 04-28-2022, 08:53 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
IMO golf cart approaching or exceeding 20 MPH should have disk brakes on all 4 wheels as much as they cost.
And ABS Ha Ha! Amazing that a car can be built for under 25K and have so many features and a golf cart is primitive in comparison.
Old 04-28-2022, 09:28 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkingston57 View Post
And ABS Ha Ha! Amazing that a car can be built for under 25K and have so many features and a golf cart is primitive in comparison.

Agree,
And yet new golf cart village ready 12.5 to 21K. One born every day…..
I’ve got 4800 in my cart think that outrageous.
Old 04-28-2022, 09:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
That's too bad because it seems that this is the way that all golf carts are going (or stopping) in the future. My EZGo Elite has the same thing.

Wet clutch last very long long time. Lack of maintenance or wrong maintenance will pretty much kill anything..
Old 05-03-2022, 06:40 PM

Whoa....
The internal yamaha brake system is very very good. The issue becomes the techs that work on them.
As the OP stated, the threaded brake cable is at the end.....Thats a red flag that whoever was servicing the cart, was doing it wrong. The brakes did not need that much adjustment but because they were adjusted, more than likely at every service interval, it ruined the cable.
The internal brakes, last a very long time. Even if they did need replaced, the brake cluster can be changed, not the whole assembly.
This differential has been given a bad rap, but the majority of the issues have been mechanic related.
Old 05-03-2022, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RI401 View Post
.....I called Villages Golf Carts for service. The cart was purchased there. I was told "We dont fix carts that old." Old?......
Everyone should remember this when they are shopping for a new cart.

Its worse for motorcyclists. The Ocala Honda dealer won't service their own bikes if they are over 10 years old. Imagine dropping 33 grand for a new Goldwing only to find they won't touch it when it gets broken in (my 2002 is like new).
Old 07-13-2022, 07:13 PM
Location: Mt. AIRY NC, NORFOLK VA, VA BEACH, VA, FT WAYNE,IN, CINCINNATI, OH, ROSWELL, GA, THE VILLAGES

used Willie for 5 + years and he is very good and reasonable
Old 07-14-2022, 05:47 AM
Veteran member

Might just be the cable has stretched ?
Closed Thread

Tags
brakes, cart, cable, pedal, trans

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.