No Go Situations

Closed Thread
Old 06-06-2021, 05:03 AM
Default No Go Situations

My cart will sometimes fail to engage when I step on the gas pedal. It's a horrible feeling because it seems to happen when I have traffic behind me and/or when I need to cross traffic after having come to a stop. It doesn't happen all the time. If I hold the pedal down, it ends up engaging…sometimes quickly, sometimes not so quickly. It's dangerous. Anyone know what might be causing this? I've taken it to the shop, but issue never seems to play out for them and so, nothing changes.
Old 06-06-2021, 05:12 AM
Veteran member

If the engine stope just before the compression stroke, sometimes the battery doesn't have enough oomph to over come it. Maybe a new battery will help?
Old 06-06-2021, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhood View Post
If the engine stope just before the compression stroke, sometimes the battery doesn't have enough oomph to over come it. Maybe a new battery will help?
I agree with the above. I had this problem and, as usual for me, ignored it since the cart would go after a couple seconds. Then, one day, it didn't go! New battery fixed it.
Old 06-06-2021, 06:55 AM

You did say "gas pedal" so I'm assuming it's not an electric cart. I also agree that the battery is a very likely suspect. But, unless you just want to throw money at the problem, you may want to have your battery tested to see if it actually is beginning to fail. Unfortunately, the starter/generator (or it's v-belt) and at least a couple switches also could cause the problem you are having.
Old 06-06-2021, 09:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

That's one of the problems I have with my cart. It's overdue for a checkup. Brought it to the Villages Golf Cart shop to ask about something else and the service guy saw the corrosion on the battery, said yeah it's definitely time for a replacement. The seal is broken, I'm barely topping out at 9 volts after running it for a half hour, it's idling at 8.4 volts. Should be 11-15 volts. For the "Lifestyle" maintenance package, plus battery replacement, plus fixing the wiring on my digital meter thingie over the steering wheel (it shows voltage, gas level, oil level, time, outside temperature, odometer, speedometer, and a couple of other things I have no idea what they are) - everything will be under $300 total. It'd be under $200 if I didn't need the battery but, eh - better now than after it dies in the middle of a cart path somewhere on a rainy day.
Old 06-06-2021, 12:25 PM

I had the exact same problem. I had Willie's Golf Cart come out and he found that the switch at the gas pedal which activates the starter was defective. He replaced the switch and problem was fixed. Since the engine turns off when you come to a stop, the switch at the pedal starts the engine up again when you depress the pedal. Suggest you have someone check that switch. An easy fix.
Old 06-06-2021, 03:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,147 Times in 2,246 Posts

I agree with the above, look at the battery first and the cables for corrosion, check the battery voltage, 12.4 nominal, and if you can leave the meter connected, 14+ while running. As for the switch, a loose mounting or loose electrical connection could be the cause.
Old 06-07-2021, 03:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIRE1 View Post
I had the exact same problem. I had Willie's Golf Cart come out and he found that the switch at the gas pedal which activates the starter was defective. He replaced the switch and problem was fixed. Since the engine turns off when you come to a stop, the switch at the pedal starts the engine up again when you depress the pedal. Suggest you have someone check that switch. An easy fix.
352-255-1369. Willie Wilcox, comes to house, best cart fixer
Old 06-07-2021, 08:09 PM
Gold member

Also had the same issue with a new cart. The switch at the pedal was defective.
Old 06-07-2021, 08:53 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,212 Times in 351 Posts

I have one of the "newer" quieter gas carts. I have the same problem... but I've had this problem since I bought the cart. I took it to Villages Carts a number of times. I still have the problem.
Old 06-07-2021, 09:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

I'll mention that to the tech when I bring the cart in. It's getting that full-service maintenance anyway, and yeah definitely a new battery.
Old 06-08-2021, 06:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Needs new battery
Old 06-11-2021, 01:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

Battery can easily be load tested to eliminate it. Switch at peddle can easily be tested with multi-meter.

I also think some are confusing starter/generator problem, (battery, switches, compression stroke, ect..) with delay In Centrifugal clutch. It has to spool up before it engages. The engine off, you push the pedal down, depending on how far it just turns the starter motor or fires the engine up and depending on how far down the pedal pushed will delay clutch or bring it in with bang.

Once the engine comes to complete stop three thing have to happen, push gas peddle to start the starter/generator motor, Ignition switch at peddle has to fire the engine, the engine rpm brings in the centrifugal clutch. The starter motor can bring in centrifugal clutch little but not enough to move cart at fast pace or enough torque to move it if on grade or something under wheel.
Old 06-19-2021, 09:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
That's one of the problems I have with my cart. It's overdue for a checkup. Brought it to the Villages Golf Cart shop to ask about something else and the service guy saw the corrosion on the battery, said yeah it's definitely time for a replacement. The seal is broken, I'm barely topping out at 9 volts after running it for a half hour, it's idling at 8.4 volts. Should be 11-15 volts. For the "Lifestyle" maintenance package, plus battery replacement, plus fixing the wiring on my digital meter thingie over the steering wheel (it shows voltage, gas level, oil level, time, outside temperature, odometer, speedometer, and a couple of other things I have no idea what they are) - everything will be under $300 total. It'd be under $200 if I didn't need the battery but, eh - better now than after it dies in the middle of a cart path somewhere on a rainy day.
Corrosion at battery terminals can cause low voltage condition.
Old 06-20-2021, 08:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Weak battery giving you a single time to change Fla heat is detrimental to batteries
Been down that road few times always the battery

Tags
traffic, happen, quickly, pedal, causing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.