Quote:
Originally Posted by Linnberg View Post
Your original posting said ticket. Verbal warning is totally
Different and generally
Done to educate on laws.
Your posting becomes nonsense as you did not
Get a ticket.
Guess we should all
Find out about actual law as i am one who always pass slow carts on Oak Forest after making sure it is totally safe to do so.
OPs post says stopped, no mention of ticket. OPs original post has not been edited, as of 10:03am on 6/15.
So maybe read entire post, before berating a poster. If I am wrong about OP please feel free to admonish my post
Old 06-15-2022, 09:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

I see signs in my district says 25 mph unless otherwise posted. So If street not posted its 25 MPH. Everybody speeds up when passing (like going hit brakes when hit speed limit). Imo if there was solid yellow line indicating no passing zone or sign saying no passing, then no passing. IMO if it’s safe to pass, pass. Too bad officer can’t catch the speeders going 50 plus down MB, BV, el Camino Reno, and hundred more streets in villages. But he would have to be looking for speeders and NOT speeding down them also.

Last edited by Topspinmo; 06-18-2022 at 08:51 AM.
Old 06-15-2022, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob85 View Post
I actually thought the roads were made for cars! They should have the right of way on a road no matter what the speeds.
Roads are not made for cars, they are made for vehicles. Bike, Motorcycles, Golf Carts are all vehicles and just because you are in a car does not give you right of way.
Old 06-15-2022, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtomlinson View Post
My wife was stopped by the police today for overtaking a golf car in her car.
They were on a side road with no golf cart lanes. The golf cart was doing less than 20 mph. The road was clear and she safely passed the golf cart.
The officer told her that it is illegal to overtake a golf cart on these roads. He also stated that the speed limit on these roads are 20mph for cars and 22 mph for golf carts.
I was under the impression that a golf cart capable of travelling more than 20mph would be classed as a LSV. According to Florida Statute § 320.01(42), an LSV is any four-wheel vehicle with a top speed that can travel faster than 20 miles per hour but less than 25.
We have been in TV for over 20 years and have not come across this non-overtaking "law".
Tell your wife to slow down before she kills somebody. She's old where did she have to be in such a hurry
Old 06-15-2022, 09:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villager2017 View Post
Tell your wife to slow down before she kills somebody. She's old where did she have to be in such a hurry
1. I dare you to tell my wife to do anything...

2. Nunya. As in Nunya bidness... Maybe there was a bathroom emergency...

You know... Because "she's old"...

-Tom Petty
Old 06-15-2022, 10:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,388 Times in 2,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjbatl View Post
Roads are not made for cars, they are made for vehicles. Bike, Motorcycles, Golf Carts are all vehicles and just because you are in a car does not give you right of way.
Hmm, I'm finding it hard to imagine that back in the 1920s someone said, "how will we get our golf cart from NY to CA without an interstate highway system?"

Roads are made for cars and trucks. Motorcycles, usually bicycles and pedestrians, and occasionally golf carts have the right to use the roads but rarely would a road be built because of a golf cart.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 06-15-2022, 10:09 AM

Quote:
They were on a side road with no golf cart lanes. The golf cart was doing less than 20 mph. The road was clear and she safely passed the golf cart.
The officer told her that it is illegal to overtake a golf cart on these roads. He also stated that the speed limit on these roads are 20mph for cars and 22 mph for golf carts.
I was under the impression that a golf cart capable of travelling more than 20mph would be classed as a LSV. According to Florida Statute § 320.01(42), an LSV is any four-wheel vehicle with a top speed that can travel faster than 20 miles per hour but less than 25.
We have been in TV for over 20 years and have not come across this non-overtaking "law".
Perhaps the Officer meant 20 too for the golf cart.
Old 06-15-2022, 10:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrf0151 View Post
Parr Drive on the north side of Tall Trees is a street where we see cars pass carts many times a day. Some of Parr Drive is solid yellow lined but cars still go over the line and pass. Have seen some close calls with oncoming traffic or cars/carts coming out onto Parr from all the banks there. Keep your head on a swivel.
Parr Dr. is posted 25 mph, so you can pass where allowed. I usually don't, because carts rarely travel the whole distance.
Old 06-15-2022, 11:41 AM
Default Golf Cart Speed Limit

Maybe the police officer stated, “20 too” for golf carts and your wife thought he meant it as “22”.
Old 06-15-2022, 11:50 AM
Platinum member
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post

Old 06-15-2022, 11:52 AM
Platinum member
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyemmi@icloud.com View Post
Maybe the police officer stated, “20 too” for golf carts and your wife thought he meant it as “22”.
You think the officer meant "20 too" as the other 5 posters stated this????

Old 06-15-2022, 12:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post

Agreed. It's just another example of someone trying to dictate behavior to others.
Old 06-15-2022, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keefelane66 View Post
guess the cop was finally doing his job. If you were ticketed you can appeal it in court.
excuse me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-15-2022, 09:54 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,759 Times in 757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmall22204 View Post
My question is, why is your wife in such a hurry to pass a cart on a back road in the first place? I have been behind carts on side roads and just wait until the cart goes into a MM lane then pass. It is not about the officer doing his job, it is about common sense.
My goodness, a such a sensible reply ! Never imagined (from what I've seen for so many years now) there was anyone who actually had the time to stay behind a golf cart, imagine that, hope to see it sometime. Maybe will get lucky enough also to see an individual IN a golf cart who is not in such a hurry that they will take the chance of going 22 mph to pass a cart gong 20... JUST as the cart path splits going toward Lake S. square... and after all that, taking the chance of hitting another cart, or overturning their own, they are forced to STOP at the turn into Lake S. with ALL the other carts they barely manged to pass on the path previously ! There ALL the carts are, stopped at the same stop sign. Anyone ever witnessed that ? And asked themselves what these folks get "out of it"..... most barely make it since their cart goes maybe one half, to one, mph faster than the ones they attempt to pass... then all arrive together at the square, the golf course, or the restaurant... at the SAME TIME...LOL... it's insane !
Old 06-16-2022, 05:33 AM

Quote:
You have a lot of details for not being present. As a retired LEO, I would say that your wife's mouth got in the way of her brain and she ordered you to make this post.
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, cart, overtaking, mph, roads

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.