Par Car "choking"

Closed Thread
Old 08-28-2021, 12:34 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Par Car "choking"

My 48v 2014 Par Car golf cart runs well at 20mph for the first few miles. After that, when accelerating the motor feels as if it is being "choked" and the cart won't exceed 15mph. This condition remains, whatever I try, until it has been resting for over an hour.

It may be totally coincidental (because this is the only "longer" journey that I do) but the problem starts just after I have been over the golf cart bridge. The motor has "regenerative engine braking", so going down the far side of the bridge causes the motor to act as a dynamo, putting energy back into the batteries. My first thought was that this might cause the motor to overheat, but after shopping for an hour the problem persists.

The "choking" is often (but not always) accompanied by a clicking (three or four clicks per second) that emanates from the rear of the cart.

(I have had problems with the cart refusing to pass the pre-check if I leave it undriven for too long - mechanic said that the motor's brushes "grow" and using the cart keeps them short. Now it is driven every few weeks and that problem has not recurred).

Last edited by Arctic Fox; 08-29-2021 at 09:00 AM.
Old 08-28-2021, 05:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,144 Times in 2,245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
My 48v 2016 Par Car golf cart runs well at 20mph for the first few miles. After that, when accelerating the motor feels as if it is being "choked" and the cart won't exceed 15mph. This condition remains, whatever I try, until it has been resting for over an hour.

It may be totally coincidental (because this is the only "longer" journey that I do) but the problem starts just after I have been over the golf cart bridge. The motor has "regenerative engine braking", so going down the far side of the bridge causes the motor to act as a dynamo, putting energy back into the batteries. My first thought was that this might cause the motor to overheat, but after shopping for an hour the problem persists.

The "choking" is often (but not always) accompanied by a clicking (three or four clicks per second) that emanates from the rear of the cart.
I saw your post on ask the expert first, and sent you a PM.
Old 08-29-2021, 11:23 AM
Gold member

May as well shut down the "expert" golf cart forum.
Rarely are any posts answered.
Closed Thread

Tags
motor, cart, hour, car, par

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.