Par Car Headlights Not Working

Closed Thread
Old 07-01-2018, 08:46 PM
Default Par Car Headlights Not Working

I was driving my parents golf cart and the headlights wouldn't work. Is this a quick fix? Who would you recommend to fix this without costing a fortune?
Old 07-01-2018, 08:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,421 Times in 2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordenny View Post
I was driving my parents golf cart and the headlights wouldn't work. Is this a quick fix? Who would you recommend to fix this without costing a fortune?
If both headlights aren't working it can only be a few things. The most common would be a Blown fuse, bad switch or a broken/loose wire or connector. Check for those things before calling a repair guy..

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!

Last edited by Kenswing; 07-01-2018 at 09:07 PM.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

I agree with above, and will add to check connectors. If you cannot do this, I can help, as i have the proper tools, but you would need to bring cart to my house, village of pinellas, send me a PM if you want to get together.
Old 07-02-2018, 07:22 PM

Most common failure point for lights on a par car is the light rocker switch, or a melted fuse holder. Neither are an easy fix for the rookie. The fuse holder for the lights is in front of the driver side rear tire in the gaggle of wiring right there. Fuse holder will tend to burn and melt the holder. Rocker switch is behind the dash and is difficult to get too.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:00 PM

Easy fixes really, cut out and replace the fuse and holder or replace the toggle switch. Parts in both cases are less than $10, time to replace (DOE) is about 20 minutes.

Visit Tinker or another handy person and bring along something nice (bottle of wine or home made cupcakes) for their efforts. Everyone wins!
Old 07-02-2018, 08:17 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Try youtube for instructions.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:22 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Buggies Gone Wild forum is another good source for information.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:57 PM
Sage

I took a look at the vehicle, I found 3 fuses as mentioned just in front of the drivers side rear wheel, NONE failed or otherwise bad. Looked on line and found a diagram that showed several more fuses, with no indication where these are located. The cart is coming back so I can remove the front cowl and look for fuses in the dash area, and check the switch. This particular model has very limited (read this a NO) access to the area behind the dash. More to follow, I will report on what I find for others.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I took a look at the vehicle, I found 3 fuses as mentioned just in front of the drivers side rear wheel, NONE failed or otherwise bad. Looked on line and found a diagram that showed several more fuses, with no indication where these are located. The cart is coming back so I can remove the front cowl and look for fuses in the dash area, and check the switch. This particular model has very limited (read this a NO) access to the area behind the dash. More to follow, I will report on what I find for others.
Call Tom C, 20 minute fix.
Old 07-06-2018, 04:28 PM
Sage

Here is the update, Par Car is FIXED. It turns out the wires came off the switch. This was not an easy fix or an easy find as the area behind the dash is very hard to get to, and the dash does not appear to be removable, and the cowl is is hard to remove. In any case, I was able to determine 2 of the 3 wires had come off the switch. I changed connectors and put switch back, all is well now.
Thanks to all for suggestions.
VT

Tags
fix, headlights, quick, costing, fortune

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.