Picking Up New Cart

Closed Thread
Old 09-04-2019, 07:19 AM
Default Picking Up New Cart

I'll be picking up my new cart from the Villages Golf Car in Brownwood on Friday is there anything I should check on the walk around? I'll check the self-canceling turn indicators, speedometer, and the general fit and trim. Is there anything else that are trouble areas I should look at?
Old 09-04-2019, 07:25 AM
Sage

Are the tires "round?" In other words, do you feel a thump-thump-thump as your drive?

Is the steering wheel pointing to 12 o'clock as you drive straight forward?
Old 09-04-2019, 08:57 AM
Gold member

Pay close attention to the seats. Make sure there are no small tears in the fabric. A small tear will become a large one very shortly with just average use. Ask what your top speed will be.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:12 AM

When we ordered ours, I was surprised how expensive the self-cancelling turn indicators were (as an option). Seems like a simple timer relay would be easy to add, cancelling the signal after 10 seconds (+/-). As I recall the option on the cart is more that $250
Old 09-04-2019, 10:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

When I bought mine from Villages at Lake Sumter they delivered it to my home and the salesman stayed and ran over the entire operation of the cart.
Old 09-04-2019, 12:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

If your cart can go over 20 MPH, you are driving a illegal low speed vehicle, ask for (demand) a document stating the speed is set a 19.9 or 20 MPH, and potentially save yourself lots of dollars, points, and aggravation if you get stopped.
Old 09-04-2019, 01:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
If your cart can go over 20 MPH, you are driving a illegal low speed vehicle, ask for (demand) a document stating the speed is set a 19.9 or 20 MPH, and potentially save yourself lots of dollars, points, and aggravation if you get stopped.

I'm not sure that will make a difference, if you're ever pulled over...after being recorded actually above 20mph.

Particularly, since a simple wire-tie, installed by the owner...can override the governor.
Old 09-04-2019, 01:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
When we ordered ours, I was surprised how expensive the self-cancelling turn indicators were (as an option). Seems like a simple timer relay would be easy to add, cancelling the signal after 10 seconds (+/-). As I recall the option on the cart is more that $250
Six years ago I had The Villages add an LED light to each windshield post connected to the turn signal, flashes right in front of you, cost $50. My neighbor saw that, and had Villages Discount Golf Carts install the same lights on his. Even though he had an flashing arrow in the rear-view mirror, the one on the right side was not visible from the driver's seat, I think he said they were also $50.

A problem I had with mine when I first received the cart was the large rear-view mirrors on the windshield posts were eye level, and every time I made a turn it created a blind-spot, almost had a head on with another cart on a trail. I took it right in and had them lower the mirrors so the top of the mirror is on the same level as the fold in the windshield, so you will view over top of the mirror. I think The Villages now mounts the mirrors much lower because of my complaint.
Old 09-05-2019, 08:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeint View Post
I'll be picking up my new cart from the Villages Golf Car in Brownwood on Friday is there anything I should check on the walk around? I'll check the self-canceling turn indicators, speedometer, and the general fit and trim. Is there anything else that are trouble areas I should look at?
Gas or electric?
Old 09-05-2019, 08:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,931 Times in 2,701 Posts

No worries, the Villages Golf Cart will honor any problems that may arise with your new cart. They are very good about honoring warranty work if your new cart has any problems. Just make sure all the options you purchased with your cart are installed and drive it away and enjoy. If something comes up later, they will fix it.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
When we ordered ours, I was surprised how expensive the self-cancelling turn indicators were (as an option). Seems like a simple timer relay would be easy to add, cancelling the signal after 10 seconds (+/-). As I recall the option on the cart is more that $250:22yikes:
Worth every single penny to me. Besides the self cancelling turn signals, the steering wheel features high beam lights which are excellent for visibility at night. I didn't know about the high beams until I picked up the cart. I was willing to spend the $250 just for the self cancelling turn signals and those high beams were a HUGE bonus. Oh.....also the horn is on the steering wheel with two buttons; one on each side of the steering wheel.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post

I'm not sure that will make a difference, if you're ever pulled over...after being recorded actually above 20mph.

Particularly, since a simple wire-tie, installed by the owner...can override the governor.
Really? On an electric cart? I would love to be able to add 2 mph to my 20 mph. Where does the wire tie go? I'm not handy. Who can I get to do this?
Old 11-08-2019, 12:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,931 Times in 2,701 Posts

I second making sure the steering wheel is at 12 o'clock when the cart is going straight. Our club car is at about 10:30 when going straight and it always bugs me. Also, when we bought our club car from Villages Golf Carts we upgraded from 8 inch to 10 inch tires and were told by the salesperson that if was a good idea and common upgrade. After driving the cart over some bumps and around some corners we noticed the tires were rubbing inside the wheel wells. I was furious and brought the cart back. The service manager told me the cart was not designed for tires larger than 8 inches and it would need a lift kit, which they don't install. They offered to swap back the 8 inch tires and refund me for the upgrade, but I wanted the bigger tires. I had to bring the cart to an outside service place and pay another $800 to have a three inch lift kit installed to accommodate the tires. I must admit, the cart looks much better with the lift kit and we get many positive comments from people, but it was an unanticipated expense.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:48 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Check tow switch
Look at the batteries to see if they look like they are new and ask how you add water and have then show you. You will then be able to see if the fluid level is correct.
Old 11-08-2019, 02:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
Really? On an electric cart? I would love to be able to add 2 mph to my 20 mph. Where does the wire tie go? I'm not handy. Who can I get to do this?
Even though you obviously aren't "handy," you may want to Google what a "governor" is...in regards to golf carts.

That will (should?)...answer your question.
Closed Thread

Tags
picking, check, cart, general, speedometer

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.