Policy Change

Closed Thread
Old 02-20-2017, 05:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by permanentvacation View Post
If a cop stops you for going 22 mph in a golf cart, then he/she needs to get a life. There are bigger fish to fry. (Btw, I am a retired cop.)
I wish the Sumter County Sheriffs thought that way, unfortunately they don't. It's a hot or cold item, sometimes you see them, and then they're not around anymore. I have to drive on Baileys Trail quite often and I knew where to look. Usually at the Cane Garden pump station just past the first green, there's a little driveway and they would sit in there with their radar gun. I haven't seen them in a year, but the POA newsletter use to report cart tickets and for a while they were giving about about 60 unregistered vehicle tickets to carts every quarter. Those are the tickets they give to a speeding golf cart, and it requires deep pockets and a trip to the Bushnell Courthouse to see the judge and you better bring a letter from an authorized dealer that your cart has been dialed back to 19.9 mph.

Here is an even bigger reason to get a life. For a good while the county sheriffs were giving out tickets to those who sit in their parked golf cart listening to the band at LSL and having a draft beer or open can in their cart. If your parked on a street parking space you're in their domain. You can put a yard chair on the pavement and sit and drink a beer right next to your cart and be totally legal. Sit in the cart and drink a beer, that's a ticket.

Another example of hot or cold, for a while a county motorcycle cop would sit across from Sterling Hgt Rec Center in the entrance to a CYV community. Then he disappeared for a few months, and then about 2 months ago I'm coming home and one of my neighbors is pulled over driving her SUV. Later she told me she was given a ticket for 38 in a 30 on St. Charles. I would say half the car drivers on St. Charles are doing 35, I guess 38 was a little too much.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I wish the Sumter County Sheriffs thought that way, unfortunately they don't. It's a hot or cold item, sometimes you see them, and then they're not around anymore. I have to drive on Baileys Trail quite often and I knew where to look. Usually at the Cane Garden pump station just past the first green, there's a little driveway and they would sit in there with their radar gun. I haven't seen them in a year, but the POA newsletter use to report cart tickets and for a while they were giving about about 60 unregistered vehicle tickets to carts every quarter. Those are the tickets they give to a speeding golf cart, and it requires deep pockets and a trip to the Bushnell Courthouse to see the judge and you better bring a letter from an authorized dealer that your cart has been dialed back to 19.9 mph.

Here is an even bigger reason to get a life. For a good while the county sheriffs were giving out tickets to those who sit in their parked golf cart listening to the band at LSL and having a draft beer or open can in their cart. If your parked on a street parking space you're in their domain. You can put a yard chair on the pavement and sit and drink a beer right next to your cart and be totally legal. Sit in the cart and drink a beer, that's a ticket.

Another example of hot or cold, for a while a county motorcycle cop would sit across from Sterling Hgt Rec Center in the entrance to a CYV community. Then he disappeared for a few months, and then about 2 months ago I'm coming home and one of my neighbors is pulled over driving her SUV. Later she told me she was given a ticket for 38 in a 30 on St. Charles. I would say half the car drivers on St. Charles are doing 35, I guess 38 was a little too much.
Very well said. In defense of fellow men and women of the law, often a police activity is the direct result of complaints by fellow Villagers. Examples: someone complains about speeding golf carts on X path or people drinking near LSL. Police Chiefs or Sheriffs cannot simply ignore complaints and must react to complaints of violations. The result will be cops in the area conducting enforcement action to curb violations. That would explain the sporadic enforcement around TV. I would gather most cops would rather leave TV alone. It's a catch 22.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by permanentvacation View Post
In defense of fellow men and women of the law, often a police activity is the direct result of complaints by fellow Villagers.
Support the Blue.
Old 02-20-2017, 11:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Support the Blue.
AMEN!
Old 02-20-2017, 11:46 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeV View Post
Last summer I had a high speed cooling fan installed in my cart at the Brownwood service center. They told me if my cart was set to 23 it would be set to 20. I protested and they gave me a waiver to sign releasing them from having to lower the speed. They will service carts set to over 20 with the waiver.
Yes we had the same experience...

Sent from my SM-N910R4 using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2017, 08:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I'm 100% behind the police, that's the main reason I dialed my cart back to under 20mph.
Closed Thread

Tags
villages, yamaha, carts, set, golf

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.