Pre mature tire wear out on 2020 Quietech

Closed Thread
Old 06-15-2022, 01:23 PM
Platinum member
Default Pre mature tire wear out on 2020 Quietech

Have a 2020 Yamaha Quietech with less than 200 hours on it. In 1st year saw reasonable tire wear on cart. Past couple of months noted that the right front tire is wearing heavily on the inside of the tire. Pressure is good on all 4 tires and this is a lot more severe than when I had a car with mis-aligned tires. Have a friend who had all 4 tires prematurely wear out 2X.

Have been told that Yamaha does have a suspension problem that they know about and will not fix and this IS NOT an alignment problem. Saw an old article/post about this problem and per that post this problem has been corrected in the 2018 model Does anyone have similar issues and if so was their a remedy.
Old 06-15-2022, 02:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,127 Times in 2,240 Posts

Are you sure that someone else driving the cart did not hit something? I did a quick Goolge search and did not see anything on this topic. eems odd that the wear appears after the first year. When parked is the cart level left to right? We hit a curb in our cart, and Willies was able to replace a couple of parts and correctly align, that was well over a year ago and no apparent tire wear (2017 Queitech).
Old 06-15-2022, 02:40 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Are you sure that someone else driving the cart did not hit something? I did a quick Goolge search and did not see anything on this topic. eems odd that the wear appears after the first year. When parked is the cart level left to right? We hit a curb in our cart, and Willies was able to replace a couple of parts and correctly align, that was well over a year ago and no apparent tire wear (2017 Queitech).
f

No one else drives/drove my cart. There are a lot of bumpy roads/cartpaths in TV and that could be the culprit. Thanks for the info. I did do a search and found nothing except for a post 2 years ago on same topic. Per that string Yamaha rectified the problem in the 2018 model.
Old 06-15-2022, 03:00 PM
Veteran member

same for my 2021 Yamaha cart, maybe got 2000 miles on my tires.
Old 06-15-2022, 05:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Lots of thing could be problem. What size are rims, has cart been lifted? With tires straight does one look funny (not pointing straight). What add ons was done? Like heavy rear facing Seats, Curtis cab? Alignment easy to check plenty of utube video’s on how to check. Camber can not be adjusted. Tire pressure and what tires are on it could be aggravating the problem. The suspension was designed for 8 inch rims. 10 inch or bigger are aftermarket add ons.
Old 06-15-2022, 06:38 PM

Passenger side front tire wearing out is common- and it is related to alignment and tire pressure. I know you said tire pressure is correct, but what do you believe to be the correct pressure.? So many people are told so many different pressures
I know you said its wearing on the inside, but like I said this is common issue, and alignment and proper tire pressure will correct it.
Old 06-15-2022, 06:45 PM

I have a 2017 with 7500 miles. Normal tire wear. Still have originals on it so question a factory suspension problem. Had a friend that wore out his right front, but he drove it like a go-cart instead of a golf cart.

Last edited by MSchad; 06-15-2022 at 06:51 PM.
Old 06-16-2022, 04:31 AM

For God sake, don't take it to a professional repair facility, let these amature trying to be helpful people tell you what to do.
Old 06-16-2022, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmall22204 View Post
For God sake, don't take it to a professional repair facility, let these amature trying to be helpful people tell you what to do.
Maybe the op is just trying to get some helpful insider info from cart owners before he takes it to a “professional repair facility “ and possibly getting ripped off?
Old 06-16-2022, 07:44 AM

What brand of tire are you having this issue with? The vast majority of the Yamaha carts in TV have the 205-65 DOT Loadstars. My 2011 Yamaha with those tires lasted 10 years. My 2017 QuieTech has the original Loadstars and they are looking great.
Many owners do not check tire pressure which should be at 22 lbs and checked every 60 days. I have seen friends carts with rapid/irregular tire wear and I ask them what pressure they keep them at and they have no idea as they never check the PSI.
There are some dealers outside of TV selling what they are calling new carts but many are actually carts that have been pulled from fleets early and then resold so you never know how they were treated.
Old 06-16-2022, 07:47 AM

I have fixed this problem on a couple of my neighbor's carts. The first thing I would like to know "is the car frequently driven with only one person in it"? If so, more weight is on the driver's side (naturally) which allows the passenger tire to be actually sliding on the pavement a bit due to excessive toe out. (Think of it making a slight right turn all the time.) Excessive toe out is evidenced by tread wear on the inside of the tread, always the passenger side because of less weight due to one person in the cart. It's an easy fix to adjust the toe in or toe out especially with a helper to hold the other end of a tape measure. I align to nearly no toe out and see how the cart drives, but it may need a very little bit of toe out to drive better. Specs and "How To" info is readily available online.

Tire pressure is a bit of a factor too and should be properly maintained. That said, it's not the huge wear factor as a tire out of align when it should be nearly straight ahead. I fixed one that was 1/2" out of alignment. The owner couldn't believe how much farther it coasted and easier it drove.
Old 06-16-2022, 07:48 AM

I have same problem on my 2019. Tires wear unevenly, especially pass side front. Yes, I had alignment checked. No improvement.
Solution - buy new tires every 2 years
Old 06-16-2022, 07:49 AM

Call the Golf Cart Guy (352) 805-0450
Old 06-16-2022, 07:49 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmall22204 View Post
Have received two very different opinions from professionals. Was only inquiring if others had same issue. As I said one person told me that this is a problem that Yamaha does not want to take care of.
Old 06-16-2022, 08:42 AM

It is fairly easy to check the toe in/out yourself. Will only need about 20' of string. Tie the string someplace easy in the center rear, like a hitch or whatever. Turn steering wheel so the steering wheel is perfectly aligned for straight driving. Take the string and go around the side of the cart placing the string on the rear tire halfway up and continue to the front. Place the string on the front tire sidewall and pull tight, then move the string away from the tire so the string is barely touching the rear tire and along the side of the front. Compare the distance of the string to the sidewall of the tire in both fore and aft of the center of the front tire. Do the same for the opposite side. All tires should be nearly in a straight line on each side, but carts with excessive inside tire wear will usually show an obvious toe out on one or both front tires.

Last edited by Blue Oval; 06-16-2022 at 09:15 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
tire, problem, tires, wear, quietech

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.