Propane powered golf carts?

Closed Thread
Old 07-18-2011, 07:14 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red tail View Post
spoken like a true 'wannabe'
Wannabe what? When we purchased our golf cart, I would have preferred to have an electric, but after much searching on this site and contemplating the eventual size of TV, we decided on a gas. I asked our agent when we were looking for a home if there were charging stations anywhere around TV and was told that they are not needed. I realize that when the batteries are new, you get plenty of mileage, but each charge is just a little bet less than the previous. I prefer to just check my tank and make sure I have at least 1/4 tank of gas.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 07-18-2011, 08:33 AM
Gold member

Good Advise,

Thanks
Old 07-18-2011, 11:06 AM
Veteran member
Default Golf cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Straz View Post
Herv,

Have not had a chance to compare the rides as yet. I did visit the dealer, Allstar Golf Cars over on 441 near Five Guys Burgers. He's the new owner and the two people I've met that have bought new carts from him rave about the service. Soup to nuts on the SS is about $8500 and that's with the new better seats that are easier when you golf most of the time.
His address is 570 North hwy 441 at the Village Crossroads center, 352-750-3246 You won't be sorry you went and looked at it.
Are you talking about the STARev?
Old 07-18-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aljetmet View Post
Are you talking about the STARev?
Yes, the Star ev
Old 07-18-2011, 03:01 PM
Veteran member
Default Street legal cart

Good to compare to the Tomberlin. Seems the STARev not big yet in TV.

Maybe by the time we arrive.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:05 PM

1. Certainly would not want to store propane in the garage or any enclosed area for that matter. Don't even think it would be legal as it is against the law to bring a propane tank into a store in Marion and Lake Counties - not sure about Sumter but Ace Hardware will not let you bring a tank inside.

2. Street legal is the way to go . . . even though they are all electric. Most people who get hurt in golf cart accidents are hurt because they fall out the carts . . . street legals have safty belts and they are well worth using in a golf cart when you are not on the course.

3. Tomberlin is the best built of the street legals . . . 4 wheel disk brakes, hydralic breaks, ect. If you push against a Tomberlin from the side and then compare to other street legals you will see how heavy and stable they are.

4. Use eight-six volt batteries in the Tomberlin and you get better torque and about 50+ miles on a full charge (Par Car will be a better range but at the expense of other things breaking down). . . good enough for any place in TV . . . you could run from RT 42 to RT. 44, play 18 holes and return with no problems. When playing golf you could set the cart to slow speed and even do better with the range.

5. Besides the range, you get there faster going 25 instead of 20 and even those with illegal gas carts that have them going over 20 have to go slower because of tunnels and crossing of streets at the gates.

6. Tomberlin's have an on-board charger so all you have to bring with you is an extension cord and you can charge-up in many places if you look around - such as Outback on Rt. 27/441.

7. If you do a lot of driving with a cart then consider putting a solar cell unit on the roof and charge on the go . . . after all it pretty sunny most of the time here in The Villages.

8. I'd rather follow a street legal on the cart paths than a stinking gas powered cart that is illegally enchanced . . . they stink up the tunnels and breathing those fumes cannot be good for you!

9. California has made the purchase of gas carts illegal in the future . . . something that Florida will consider somewhere down the line.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:55 PM
Gold member
Default Electric-

It's only a matter of time before Gas carts will be banned or will have to upfitted with emission controls.

All I had to do is look at a Tomberlin while up on a service lift! I'm sold.

So hold on all. When Lith - Ion batteries come down in price this will be another positive for performance, charging times rates and enhanced mileage.

The technology from EV cars will trickel down to LSV and Carts.

Hey can you all imagine the Works GT commercial with them holding a lead acid car battery to run the trimmer- LOL No its a lith-ion doing the work.

Of course we can all give up on electrics and still have a fuel engine. We just switch em over to pure ethanol other wise know as moon shine!

Then you can have your own bar for happy hour! LOL

Propane carts to grill with and Jack Daniels Carts to drink with.

Gotta Laugh!
Old 07-19-2011, 10:34 AM
Veteran member

EZ -Go is way ahead of all of you with their just announced 150 mile range "electric" cart. They are strapping on a small gas generator to partially charge the batteries while underway. Of course there is no room for golf clubs and I assume it will stink and make noise like gas carts.
Talk about pounding in a screw with a sledge hammer!
Don't believe me? Go to the EZ-Go website.

Last edited by Jim 9922; 07-19-2011 at 11:12 AM.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:47 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim 9922 View Post
..........Don't believe me? Go to the EZ-Go website.
http://www.ezgo.com/Exceed.html

Bill
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.