Propane powered golf carts?

Closed Thread
Old 06-05-2011, 05:37 PM
Default Propane powered golf carts?

Has anyone had any experience with a golf cart being converted to run propane? A friend, here in Texas, told me that there is a conversion process that will allow propane to power your golf cart via a propane cylinder (like you use for your BBQ). He said that was cleaner and running cleaner, would make the carts engine last longer. Being a rookie at all of this, I am seeking greater knowledge from all of you that have much more experience me. Also, any TV restrictions on this type of cart? We will be moving into Tamarind Grove towards the end of the year. If this is something worthwhile, I might consider doing before we move, unless there is a reputable installer/converter close to TV. Any info that ya'll have would greatly appreciated.
B&BTexas
Old 07-12-2011, 10:54 PM
Gold member
Default Propane Questions

Hi Neighbor! We will be there next July just purschased our lot yesterday.

I have had experience with propane commercial grade lawn mowers. Saw them at EPA clean cities events and feedback from many state parks who have used them.

They work well, however look like rocket ships!

Propane can be safely used however! for our driving range of " Fun" in the villages your cart would have to be all tank on the back.

Propane is clean, no smell , few emissions,great engine life however has poor btu's and poor mileage. So the huge tanks! Performance suffers some unless the engine has been upgraded to a high compression pistion and different timing changes.

So for the time it is either the knocka knocknaa clunk clunk rattle polluting 90% of sales gas cart or like me going against the masses and picking electric. Been testing then em all week!

Right now today, my first choice is the Tomerlin. Stock! No pimp daddie huge tires. However better seating and enhanced batteries for range. I love the street legal construction but still cart path legal.

Herv
Old 07-12-2011, 11:03 PM
Gold member

Check to see if there is any legal liability to taken a propane-powered vehicle through the tunnels of The Villages. Although the tunnels are not that long, in some locals the use of "open" propane tanks through any tunnel is prohibited. Better check it out for this area before investing in a propane-powered golf car.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:12 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hforward View Post
However better seating and enhanced batteries for range. I love the street legal construction but still cart path legal.

Herv
Just my personal opinion, but I think any vehicle that has a registration and license plate should not be on the multi-modal paths. If you are street legal, drive in the street! (I know I'm gonna get a lot of flack about this)

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 07-13-2011, 07:39 AM
Sage
Default Propane safety issues with benefits

There are already enough safety issues driving carts around TV, now we will have people grilling as the drive? I wonder what effect grilling has on range per tank....

As I think about it, there are times where a hot dog on the golf course would be great!
Old 07-13-2011, 08:26 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post
There are already enough safety issues driving carts around TV, now we will have people grilling as the drive? I wonder what effect grilling has on range per tank....

As I think about it, there are times where a hot dog on the golf course would be great!
Now, that's a good one. Thanks for the chuckle AJ
Old 07-17-2011, 12:49 AM
Gold member

Oh I agree with you about street legal on the road not on the paths. The Tomberin is same size speed as anyone else's cart ( not modified! )

I was just as a newbie and new property owner amazed at the miles a Villager can put on their carts. After 35 years of Automotive Teaching and training technicians I have been eye balling your carts for suspension wear tire wear and watching handleing ( before happy hour)

Unlike most I buy from the bottom up construction not the top down.

Semi Retiring next July, We lost our shirt gave away our home in this dismal market so we could get our lot this visit. We are in Tamerind Grove, Our home is being built this December. Scarred to death to move here. Will be loosing all my old freinds and automotive networks.

Regards Herv
Old 07-17-2011, 05:24 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdul981 View Post
Just my personal opinion, but I think any vehicle that has a registration and license plate should not be on the multi-modal paths. If you are street legal, drive in the street! (I know I'm gonna get a lot of flack about this)
Hey, why stop there. Why not ban all gasoline powered vehicles from the multi-modal paths.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:49 AM

Hey Herv,
Check out this cart as well, and I too, an Up-stater, Auburn, am in The "Grove", lot 153'
http://www.starelectricvehicles.com/ The Tomberlin is built very well and for me it's a coin toss between these two.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:47 AM
Gold member

Quote:
spoken like a true 'wannabe'
Old 07-17-2011, 01:47 PM
Veteran member
Default Tax credit

I think all golf carts that used the way we use them here should have an odometer on them .Then at the end of the year we could get a credit on our taxes for using electric instead of gas. Street legal or not.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by red tail View Post
spoken like a true 'wannabe'
red tail - What leads you to believe getdul981 is a 'wannabe'?? Just curious.........

Bill
Old 07-17-2011, 10:56 PM
Gold member

I agree. Governments and local Fleets are all getting tax credits and incentatives to go green. We as Villagers have the ablity to start a very cool movement. We should get the same incentatives as those that buy a new alt fuel car. 7500 tax credit and tax incentatives to buy home charging stations. I believe this because of the huge miles Villagers put on their vehicles. Also the numbers of carts here is very impressive.

One lawn single cylinder mower pollutes more than a several multi cylinder fuel injected cat equipped cars. So do the math on # of carts in the villages times no emission controlls.

If fast charging stations were installed at pools, town squares etc no one would ever have range anxiety. I'm not a wanna be I have driven alt fuel vehicle not even released yet. There is some very cool stuff out there. And some pretty impressive performance.

Hunters Farmers and Construction workers are impressed at a new generation of four wheel drive electic ATV's and how they can pull stumps sneak up quite on game and not noise pollute.

And before I get called a wannbe or whatever ? I'll have to go sit on my modified CVO Screaming Eagle Harley and enjoy what a real gas engine can do.

Wanna watch a fast electric

plasmaboy racing -White Zombie Google it. enjoy.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:11 PM
Gold member

Jim,

Thanks for the site. Almost thought the same parent company at first?
Vehicles look well built also. Would have to drive one. Have you had a chance to compare the two on a cart trail.
Herv
Old 07-18-2011, 06:31 AM

Herv,

Have not had a chance to compare the rides as yet. I did visit the dealer, Allstar Golf Cars over on 441 near Five Guys Burgers. He's the new owner and the two people I've met that have bought new carts from him rave about the service. Soup to nuts on the SS is about $8500 and that's with the new better seats that are easier when you golf most of the time.
His address is 570 North hwy 441 at the Village Crossroads center, 352-750-3246 You won't be sorry you went and looked at it.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.