Puzzled

Closed Thread
Old 07-03-2018, 03:48 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,280 Times in 1,426 Posts
Default Puzzled

Does anyone here know if I can start my 2018 Yamaha Quietech in neutral. My battery is low from lack of use and I can get it to start but as soon as I try to go from reverse to forward there isn't enough juice left to start again. I have to shift as it is not a straight shot out of my garage. Thanks for any help.
Old 07-03-2018, 04:22 PM

Yes it will run in neutral. But why not go to Wal Mart and buy a cheap trickle charger?
Old 07-03-2018, 04:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regor View Post
Yes it will run in neutral. But why not go to Wal Mart and buy a cheap trickle charger?
Where is neutral? it only shows forward and reverse.
Old 07-03-2018, 05:05 PM
Platinum member

Can't answer your question but if you have a low battery in a 2018, it ain't from lack of use. You have a drain somewhere.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:04 PM

Neutral is in between Forward and reverse. Do you have a radio installed? Main source of draining batteries
Old 07-03-2018, 07:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGC View Post
Neutral is in between Forward and reverse. Do you have a radio installed? Main source of draining batteries
So it will start in the middle? I do not have a radio, it's about 10 months old and has only been driven 3 hours in that time. I start it to move it a few feet and back and I think that has been taking it's toll with no time to charge. I'll try it in the middle tomorrow and if it starts in that position it should charge the battery.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

OP, see if you can borrow a charger from a neighbor, charge your battery for a few hours, and you should be able to get out of the garage. Also, I tend to agree with the drain on the battery. I can give you a hand testing for a parasitic load. The radio if you have one may have a wire that was labeled to go to the ignition switch, if this is wired to the HOT wire, there will be a continuous drain on the battery. I just fixed this on another cart.
Old 07-03-2018, 07:46 PM
Sage

Again there is no radio or any other electric option. I have backed this out and in probably 20 times over the last few months but never drove it and I think the starting each time without a charge period has run the battery down somewhat. It will start once but as soon as I stop to change directions there is not enough juice to start again. It shows 11.5 volts and quickly drops to 3 or 4 if I try to start it a second time. Once I get it out and running I'll drive it once a week to keep it up. my main question is, and again I don't know for sure yet, "CAN IT START AND RUN WHILE THE SHIFT LEVER IS IN BETWEEN FORWARD AND REVERSE"? Or, is there a tow mode switch that will take it out of gear and allow me to start it?
Old 07-04-2018, 08:06 AM

OK, that makes sense. You haven't driven it enough to get the charge system to charge the battery. You can run the car in neutral and that will charge the battery up. However I would recommend running it for a period of time, or as suggested, charge the battery fully.
Old 07-04-2018, 08:28 AM
Sage

Thank you to all that replied. It did in fact start in between forward and reverse. Just a side note. I read the entire owners manual and there is absolutely nothing in there about starting in neutral, doesn't even state that there is a neutral, or even how to charge or jump the battery, all it says is only have a qualified technician jump the battery and nothing at all about charging it. Since there are all kinds of electronics hooked up to the battery I was not about to try jumping it. I turned it around by pushing it in the garage just in case I could only get one start out of it I wanted to be pointing in the right direction, there was enough power to start it in neutral, I kept it running for a little while then turned it off and put it in forward, it started, and I went for a long ride. All is well, I'll drive it again later for a longer time and then check it every few days. Thanks again for your help. I'm hoping with a long ride today and more frequent use this won't happen again.
Old 07-04-2018, 10:03 AM

Driving a short distance once a week will not go well for the battery.

If it has a cigarette lighter type power port, go and buy a little 2 amp trickle charger at Walmart that includes that type of plug.

We travel alot and I never have trouble with one of those plugged in. $20 is a cheap solution. A new battery will be $60 to $120.
Closed Thread

Tags
start, left, juice, forward, garage

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.