2013 Yamaha Windshield Hinge Repair

Closed Thread
Old 05-27-2019, 01:29 PM
Default 2013 Yamaha Windshield Hinge Repair

The hinge has broken. Both the upper and lower windscreen pieces are fine. This particular windshield hinge is riveted to acrylic and not glued. It came new from the VGC at Lake Sumter. I believe it is an OEM windshield. I was thinking of trying something I found on Amazon -- Clear PVC Living Hinge with Bottom Groove, Fits 1/4" Material - Pick: Length (1-1/4" x 6ft.)

Has anyone repaired one of these who would be kind enough to share how they fared and what they did?
Old 05-27-2019, 07:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,118 Times in 2,237 Posts

IMHO, I would buy a stainless steel piano hinge, and then very carefully drill out the existing rivets and using stainless steel machine screws install the new hinge. Aluminum pop rivets could be used, but you need to be very careful not to apply too much pressure so you do not crack the windshield. Hope this helps.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:41 PM

Update for those that might have interest. I ordered a hinge from Plastic-Craft Products The item description is 1x Clear PVC Living Hinge For 1/4" Thick Material – 72." The cost was $25 including shipping. The hinge was back ordered and took three weeks to deliver. The installation was tricky and took two people. I cut the hinge to length and installed it onto the top half of the windshield making sure the hinge was folding in the proper direction. I then drilled four 5/32 holes to secure the hinge to the windshield with ½ #8 machine screws. Now the tricky part. I had to remove the bottom half from the cart. Thoroughly cleaned the windshield edge and applied a small amount of Vaseline. I then set bottom half on a side edge in a vertical position, had someone hold it and then slid the top half into place. It was a very tight fit. I then drilled the four holes and secured the hinge to the bottom half. Hope this helps someone.
Old 06-19-2019, 01:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,118 Times in 2,237 Posts

Thanks for the update, interesting design, I will need to keep this in mind for the future.

Tags
hinge, windshield, bottom, groove, 1/4

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.