Question about windshield styles

Closed Thread
Old 02-16-2021, 08:01 AM
Default Slakeforest

Quote:
Originally Posted by tossadow View Post
I'm about to order a new cart and wonder what style windshield would be best. It seems there are 3 choices.

1) the regular flip down in the middle style. 2) flips down in the middle but has the "slide across" opening vents for when window is up but allows some air. OR 3) the "newer" style that has the smaller flip up style down at the bottom

Option 3 does not allow any flip down of the top window for "big airflow" and someone who has style #2 says the slide grates get dirty and are hard to clean.

There is no difference in price so curious as to what others like or dislike about the different styles. Thanks!
Option #2 is the best windshield. It cleans well with an effort!!!!!!!
Old 02-16-2021, 08:54 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,328 Posts

I like the bottom opening, but I'm not here in the summer. This opening allows a clear view.
Old 02-16-2021, 08:57 AM

We have the lower flip up style. I was skeptical at first, but we really like it. It has plenty of air flow, almost like a fan on when you are moving. We didn't want the line across the middle of the flip down. Happy with our decision.
Old 02-16-2021, 09:00 AM

Quote:
I'm about to order a new cart and wonder what style windshield would be best. It seems there are 3 choices.

1) the regular flip down in the middle style. 2) flips down in the middle but has the "slide across" opening vents for when window is up but allows some air. OR 3) the "newer" style that has the smaller flip up style down at the bottom

Option 3 does not allow any flip down of the top window for "big airflow" and someone who has style #2 says the slide grates get dirty and are hard to clean.

There is no difference in price so curious as to what others like or dislike about the different styles. Thanks!
IMO the one that flips up from the bottom is the best as it gives more air than the slide. The half fold down wind shield has to be the worst. In the open position you’ll be eating bugs and no air when it’s closed not to mention the hinge areas restrict view of shorter drivers
Old 02-16-2021, 09:06 AM

Quote:

The last choice is best for shorter operators. The hinge in the middle of the windshield blocks the view while driving, especially on hills terrain.
Old 02-16-2021, 09:19 AM

The type of windshield you get also depends if you are here in the summer. If not, get one that works best for you. If here in the summer, you will need AIR and lots of it.
Old 02-16-2021, 09:40 AM

We have the full view window with the 7” flip up at the bottom. I really disliked the windshield that bent in the middle. It’s right in my line of sight. Maybe no big deal on the golf course but we don’t golf. I think that is a lousy design. Also installed extra lights above head lights that point 45 degrees left and right and down toward the edge of the road so you can see better when approaching some of the tunnels. The snow plow was just in case.
Old 02-16-2021, 10:03 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

I have option 3 and my windshield is 2 pieces with the top one able to be put down.
Old 02-16-2021, 10:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,874 Times in 948 Posts

Quote:

Obviously, it is opinion. You list three, there are more than that. We have the type that
folds down. Depending on going up hill of not, I find looking through the joint annoying.

As to hard to clean the three mentioned are all plexiglass-plastic. It is hard to clean and when you clean it you cause fine scratches. I don't know the cost, I expect far more than plastic, you can purchase real tempered glass windshield. Glass being far harder
than plastic so it will not scratch. Rain is common in Florida. A glass windshield would allow you to get a car like windshield wiper.

We have the plastic type that folds down. Not sure why but we never use it folded down. Cooler? Any of the mentioned vent systems, if, they help they only work when the cart is in motion. In motion no matter what you choose you have a 20 mph breeze.
Old 02-16-2021, 10:39 AM
Veteran member

My main issue was the bar that goes across the windshield and blocks visibility. I got a solid windshield, have super visibility, and don't really have any issues with playing golf in the summer heat without "air flow"---the rest of the cart is wide open!!!
Old 02-16-2021, 10:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I have the original fold down windshield, those who have option #3, the pop out bottom windshield, where did you get it? Did come with the cart, or you had it installed aftermarket, and if so, do you remember the price and where you bought it. I would interested, especially since my windshield is almost ten years old and it getting a bit cloudy.
Old 02-16-2021, 10:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,398 Times in 2,256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I have the original fold down windshield, those who have option #3, the pop out bottom windshield, where did you get it? Did come with the cart, or you had it installed aftermarket, and if so, do you remember the price and where you bought it. I would interested, especially since my windshield is almost ten years old and it getting a bit cloudy.
We currently have a cart on order with The Villages Golf Cars. We chose the bottom flip as part of our build.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 02-16-2021, 10:58 AM

I love my #2
Versatile!
Old 02-16-2021, 11:55 AM

I am okay with the flip down, but my wife LOVES the flip up. It has adequate air flow and doesn't mess up hair.
Old 02-16-2021, 12:07 PM

I bought my cart used and the previous owner had a screen made at a hardware store. Velcro holders it in place. I don’t use it much but I’m a snowbird maybe I’d use it more in the summer months.
Closed Thread

Tags
style, flip, window, slide, middle

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.