Quietech - Drive2 - EFI

Closed Thread
Old 08-03-2019, 04:32 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts
Default Quietech - Drive2 - EFI

I could use a little education on these terms with the Yamaha.

I understand Quietech is the term meaning they made it quieter

I understand Drive2 is a "package?" of features.

I understand EFI is electronic fuel injection.

My question is, if I buy a new(er) Yamaha gas cart as it does not use all three terms in the sales description, then I should assume it only has the features described by the terms used?

Meaning, I see a lot of Yamaha Drive2 used carts advertised. Can I assume these are NOT Quietech and do not have EFI?

And if I see one advertised as Yamaha Quietech, can I assume it does not have the Drive2 features and is carbureted? Is there such a thing as a Yamaha gas cart with Quietech that is not EFI and is not Drive2?

Does one of those terms imply the others?

TIA
Old 08-03-2019, 04:51 PM

Great questions!

I was hoping to compile a list of carts features by year and options / improvements for each so that I could better compare apples to apples and figure out what year would be best to meet my wants.

Newer is not always better....

I know (so far) that I am wanting:

Fuel Injected
Performance package (or equivalent) - this means it will go up to 20 MPH
LED lights (front / rear and side marker)
Retractable seat belts
10-inch wheels
seat upgrade
probably no more than 6 - 7 years old (but I am unsure here)

I am also still uncertain about the side curtains or hard sides (like the Curtis Cab)
Old 08-04-2019, 04:22 AM

Quietech starts with the Yamaha 2017 model run
Old 08-04-2019, 06:48 AM

Yamaha went to EFI in 2013, the year I bought my cart new from TV. Some later 2012 models had EFI as Yamaha introduced it late in that year. 2013 transaxle has a wet friction brake. I'm not exactly sure when Yamaha reverted back to the rear drum brake but suspect it was when they introduced the Quietech brand. Quietech has more noise insulation and a better front suspension but a little less horsepower. The wet friction brake works very well as my cart has 23k miles on it with no issues so far. However I've been told Yamaha no longer has some OEM parts for it. The labor is expensive as the case must be dropped out of the cart and split in two to service the brake. If I were buying an used cart I would avoid this setup. It is also very important to have the gear oil changed in these to prolong the life of the unit.
Old 08-04-2019, 07:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnInTwo View Post
Yamaha went to EFI in 2013, the year I bought my cart new from TV. Some later 2012 models had EFI as Yamaha introduced it late in that year. 2013 transaxle has a wet friction brake. I'm not exactly sure when Yamaha reverted back to the rear drum brake but suspect it was when they introduced the Quietech brand. Quietech has more noise insulation and a better front suspension but a little less horsepower. The wet friction brake works very well as my cart has 23k miles on it with no issues so far. However I've been told Yamaha no longer has some OEM parts for it. The labor is expensive as the case must be dropped out of the cart and split in two to service the brake. If I were buying an used cart I would avoid this setup. It is also very important to have the gear oil changed in these to prolong the life of the unit.
I see adds for Yamaha "Gas" and Yamaha "EFI", Yamaha "Drive2" and Yamaha "Quietech" and all combinations of those.

Can I assume then that all of those Yamahas since 2013 have EFI?

Thanks
Old 08-04-2019, 08:08 AM
Sage

No. They were selling 2014s with carburetors. However, I believe most 2014s and later are EFI. It is easy to tell if it has a carburetor; there will be a choke knob next to the shift lever below the seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
I see adds for Yamaha "Gas" and Yamaha "EFI", Yamaha "Drive2" and Yamaha "Quietech" and all combinations of those.

Can I assume then that all of those Yamahas since 2013 have EFI?

Thanks
Old 08-04-2019, 08:16 AM
Sage

The gear oil that comes out when you do a change is nasty looking stuff. My schedule is every 500 hours, which is what Yamaha recommends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnInTwo View Post
Old 08-04-2019, 08:51 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I just saw an ad for a 2018 non-efi Yamaha... So I guess "Yamaha Gas" means nothing more than that, and if it doesn't specify Quietech, and EFI and Drive2, then I have to assume it has none of those.
Old 08-04-2019, 09:10 AM

I think that consumer sales went to EFI in 2012.5. However, they continued to sell non-EFI to golf courses in bulk.

So, you might find a recent used non-EFI but it will have started life sold to a golf course for rental purposes.

I think that axle based drum brakes started in 2015. I have a 2015 and you can lock those things up. They are very good. However, several repair guys have said that they have never had to repair the wet, transmission based brakes. So, I would not worry about that.

I think(?) that Drive2 and Quietech started at the same time. I also think that with the introduction of that model or year later that high speed gears were put in the transmission at the factory. Prior to that, the transmission had to be split apart to change the gears at the retail location. They also then came stock with 10" steel wheels rather than the really not good 8" tires.

These changes are well worth the money and the re-sale value. I would buy new or a year old.
Old 08-04-2019, 09:52 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulDenise View Post
These changes are well worth the money and the re-sale value. I would buy new or a year old.
I agree - I am still debating/shopping between the new/used and Lithium Electric vs Gas.

For gas I have narrowed it down to Yamaha Drive2 QuieTech EFI - which I think means 2016 or newer. I don't see a lot of "big improvements" after 2016. So, now I am researching new at TV carts, or buying a new/used cart and having it upgraded.

It appears for shopping (apples to apples) comparisons, the ads have to specify QuieTech Drive2 EFI.
Old 08-04-2019, 10:05 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Have 2018 Yamaha. Bought on July 29 , 2018. Have tracked every drop of gas and average gas mileage overall . Average mileage after 3600 miles is 43mpg. All store bought(mostly Shell) 87 Octane. Similar experience with two previous Yamaha carts. Have trouble believing posts that claim significantly higher mileage. All carts purchased from Villages Carts with no real maintenance problems.

No, I don't work for nor do I personally know any of the "Family" , but I do handle "Rithmatic " pretty well.

See little difference in performance or mileage between carbureted and EFI models .
Old 08-04-2019, 10:12 AM
Soaring Eagle member

The QuieTech interests me because I am hard of hearing and my hearing aides suck. It is hard enough for my wife and I to carry on a conversation in our quiet automobile. Electric wins that comparison, but if the numbers (sound level tests) in the reviews, the QuieTech is close.

The EFI I am interested in for starting and running smoothly reasons. Being a grumpy old man, it is worth money to me to have as few issues as possible. I have to believe electric (Lithium) wins that one too, but I expect EFI is close to as reliable.

I have to believe the new Lithium carts win both of those, but the wife is nervous about range, so I am considering Gas as a compromise for her.

(Notice price and cost were not mentioned - the difference in that category is not enough to swing me one way or the other.)

Last edited by GrumpyOldMan; 08-05-2019 at 08:24 AM.
Old 08-04-2019, 10:15 AM
Gold member

"Yamaha began production of the Drive (G29) model in 2007 and continues to make the “Yamaha Drive” today"

All Yamaha carts after 2007 will be a "Drive" series.
It's just a model name.
Old 08-04-2019, 10:18 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoSno View Post
"Yamaha began production of the Drive (G29) model in 2007 and continues to make the “Yamaha Drive” today"

All Yamaha carts after 2007 will be a "Drive" series.
It's just a model name.
Didn't the Drive2 in 2016 introduce independent suspension in the front (or back? or both?) That would impact ride quality I would think.
Old 08-04-2019, 10:24 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Link to Village Discount Golf Car first ad on their home page:

Village Discount Golf Car

I assume this cart is a "fleet cart" and is not EFI Drive2 or QuieTech but is 2018 model year.

They have another ad on their site somewhere which is similar, but is $8995 and says it is Quietech, but that ad does not specify the model year, so I assume it is 2016?
Closed Thread

Tags
yamaha, quietech, drive2, terms, efi

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.