Is range the only issue in gas vs. electric?

Closed Thread
Old 02-21-2011, 10:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca View Post

I also thought it was going to be about cooking ranges.

Great minds think alike. I was going to post that, no, in addition to ranges, you can buy washers and dryers in gas.
Old 02-22-2011, 12:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrifats View Post
Would you share what electric cart you have?
I have a Columbia Par Car. Quiet, very comfortable, no smell, and 60 miles on a charge. Also, it has an inboard charger so I could recharge at a friend's house, although I've never needed to do that.

I'm sure this must be my imagination, but it seems to recharge itself while I'm driving it!
Old 02-22-2011, 06:41 AM
nkrifats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I have a Columbia Par Car. Quiet, very comfortable, no smell, and 60 miles on a charge. Also, it has an inboard charger so I could recharge at a friend's house, although I've never needed to do that.

I'm sure this must be my imagination, but it seems to recharge itself while I'm driving it!
Thanks
Old 02-22-2011, 07:18 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeBarb View Post
You know you're on TOTV when the topic is "Is Range the only issue in gas vs. electric" and the subject is golf carts....not stoves!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
Great minds think alike. I was going to post that, no, in addition to ranges, you can buy washers and dryers in gas.
Washers???

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 02-22-2011, 08:29 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by getdul981 View Post
Washers???
Well, I have seen a tank that you place over the washer to heat its water separately, so a gas line for that might make sense (but the one I saw was solar powered).

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-22-2011, 10:06 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katezbox View Post

With gas, you have the cost of the gas itself... usually premium to cut down on the smell... Not sure about mpg, etc. - but it isn't free....
There really is no reason to use premium fuel in a golf cart. Yamaha, in fact, states "regular gasoline only" in the owner's manual and on a sticker under the seat.
Premium fuel is simply gasoline with additives which increase the octane rating of the fuel in order to reduce pinging, or pre-ignition on higher compression engines.
Save your money and use regular gas in the cart. It'll be just as happy and your wallet will be a little fatter.
Old 02-22-2011, 04:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog103 View Post
There really is no reason to use premium fuel in a golf cart. Yamaha, in fact, states "regular gasoline only" in the owner's manual and on a sticker under the seat.
Premium fuel is simply gasoline with additives which increase the octane rating of the fuel in order to reduce pinging, or pre-ignition on higher compression engines.
Save your money and use regular gas in the cart. It'll be just as happy and your wallet will be a little fatter.
Also, most people think "premium" is better and has more power or energy. It is actully the same as far as energy or power is concerned. The only difference between "regular" and "premium" is "premium" has additives to make it slower burning. I've heard of many engines that actually didn't perform as well with "premium". Like bluedog said, save your money.
Old 07-29-2011, 05:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,163 Times in 436 Posts
Default One more option

Gel batteries....More expensive $1200 BUT and an important BUT they last 8 to 9 years....Friend has a 2002 Gem with original Gel Batteries....Amazing!
Old 07-31-2011, 11:15 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchase View Post
Once you go gas you'll never go back!

And the other way to read this is...
Once you go gas, you'll never go back!

I went gas, and hated it. I'll never go back.
It was like riding a lawnmower, and we had to shout to have any kind of conversation. Nope. I'll never go back.
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 07-31-2011, 12:57 PM
Platinum member

Yep... both have good points. If you want nice quiet and odor free cruising but limited distance, then electric is for you. On the other hand, gas will get you where you want all day long without worrying about if your battery is going to get you home or not. I have both... best of both worlds.
Old 07-31-2011, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
Friend has a 2002 Gem with original Gel Batteries....Amazing!
I have a 2008 GEM with Gel Batteries ... I have noticed a slight (small) decrease in range already ... I hope that I get the battery life your friend did ... replacement is EXPENSIVE ($2000 or for 9 8V about $3,000) ... has your friend seen decreased range?

John
Old 08-08-2011, 12:51 PM

The biggest deciding factor for me was the issue of storing batteries in the hot garage. As snowbirds we are away from the Villages during the hot summer months and the heat kills the batteries when they are stored in the garage. We remove the single battery from our gas cart and store it in a container in the laundry room, add some stabilizer, pump up the tires to the max pressure allowed on the tire sidewall and when we return in the fall the cart is good to go.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:07 PM
Send a message via ICQ to Lynn222
Default Love my electric cart

Love my electric cart because it is quiet and doesn't smell. It has never let me down. I have had no problems...except for a flat tire!

Lynn Baldacci
Life is not necessarily drawing a good hand but playing a bad hand well.
Baltimore, Maryland
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Richmond, Virginia
The Villages...met a man the first month - got married 2-1/2 years later...who knew I would move to The Villages and meet a husband!
Old 08-08-2011, 03:29 PM

I have a 2008 reconditioned Yamaha gas cart with a new yesturyear body, with an extended exhaust pipe, I have no oders, and its almost as quiet as an electric when cruising. We use it all the time for everything, I use 5 gals of gas every two weeks. I bought it from The Villages, and it came with a 2 year warranty. We love it and are looking to buy another, now that we sold our 2nd car. Since Dec. we have put about 3000 miles on it with out any problems.

For the record, I have towed 4 electric carts back to their home...

Last edited by gary42651; 08-08-2011 at 03:34 PM. Reason: more info
Old 08-15-2011, 06:15 AM
Default Gas Disadvantages

Leaks, oil and gas are a possibility with a gas cart. I have a Club Car electric and range anxiety was an issue until I added a charge indicator and began making 30+ mile trips around the villages without a problem. I do have a newer set of 48V batteries so range might become a concern in the future.

Last edited by simpilot; 08-15-2011 at 06:18 AM. Reason: add information
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.