Is range the only issue in gas vs. electric?

Closed Thread
Old 02-20-2011, 06:15 PM
Default Is range the only issue in gas vs. electric?

The thing I see most discussed is the range of gas vs. electric. What about reliability? I see lots of posts about electric carts losing their charge, new batteries having to be replaced for unknown reasons, batteries "boiling over", problems filling batteries, etc. Are there similar or other issues with gas besides the smell?
Old 02-20-2011, 06:34 PM
Platinum member

I had a battery problem last year. Batteries were less than a year old and one of them had a problem. The terminals overheated, and melted thru an underseat tray that had some golfing vests and blankets. Burnt holes right thru 2 rarely used pullovers. Nice little 1" round holes directly above the terminals. Batteries were covered under warranty but my outfits weren't! Lucky the cart didn't catch on fire!
Old 02-20-2011, 06:53 PM
Default Golf carts

I have had a Club cart electric since 2003. It' s been a great cart except for battery problems. The biggest problem is that I had renters. Some know how to maintain them, some don't. Some think they do and overfill them and boil them over and shorten their life. Two sets in three years. I think it depends on how they are maintained. If you maintain them correctly you should get about five years of life. The new gas carts don't smell as bad as the old ones. I bought a new Yamaha gas in October and love it. All you do is put gas in it every couple of weeks (depending how much you use it). We haven't noticed any smell. I think gas is the way to go since TV is getting so big.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:35 PM
nkrifats

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchase View Post
I have had a Club cart electric since 2003. It' s been a great cart except for battery problems. The biggest problem is that I had renters. Some know how to maintain them, some don't. Some think they do and overfill them and boil them over and shorten their life. Two sets in three years. I think it depends on how they are maintained. If you maintain them correctly you should get about five years of life. The new gas carts don't smell as bad as the old ones. I bought a new Yamaha gas in October and love it. All you do is put gas in it every couple of weeks (depending how much you use it). We haven't noticed any smell. I think gas is the way to go since TV is getting so big.
I bought a rebuild Yamaha Gas Cart because of the distance and just Gas and Go.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodie40 View Post
The thing I see most discussed is the range of gas vs. electric. What about reliability? I see lots of posts about electric carts losing their charge, new batteries having to be replaced for unknown reasons, batteries "boiling over", problems filling batteries, etc. Are there similar or other issues with gas besides the smell?
I love my electric golf cart!
It doesn't smell and it is quiet. I can go sixty miles on a charge. I haven't replaced the batteries in four years.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:13 PM

I, too, have electric and love it. Can't stand the stink of gas carts when you get behind them in the tunnels and it's hard to have a conversation over the noise without yelling. I live in the Marion County end and can get anywere and play 18 no problem. Mother Earth appreciates electric carts!
Old 02-20-2011, 08:35 PM
nkrifats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I love my electric golf cart!
It doesn't smell and it is quiet. I can go sixty miles on a charge. I haven't replaced the batteries in four years.
Would you share what electric cart you have?
Old 02-20-2011, 09:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodie40 View Post
Keep in mind you'll have a single battery on a gas cart. It's the same set-up that you have with a car battery - used for starting and the electrical (headlights, brake lights, turn signals, etc.). It requires the same maintenance you'd give your car battery.

Bill
Old 02-20-2011, 09:27 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

One real minus to gas (besides the noise and smell) is that they don't do well on the ethanol in gas today. I was talking to one mechanic who says with the increase in ethanol percentages going up, you can plan on getting a new carb about every 3 years (about $85 for a rebuilt one).

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-21-2011, 08:24 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post
Keep in mind you'll have a single battery on a gas cart. It's the same set-up that you have with a car battery - used for starting and the electrical (headlights, brake lights, turn signals, etc.). It requires the same maintenance you'd give your car battery.
True, but the battery in a gas cart is sealed and requires very little attention other than keeping the terminals clean of corrosion. The batteries in an electric cart are deep discharge heavy duty and because they are not sealed, require careful attention to maintain proper water levels.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
One real minus to gas (besides the noise and smell) is that they don't do well on the ethanol in gas today. I was talking to one mechanic who says with the increase in ethanol percentages going up, you can plan on getting a new carb about every 3 years (about $85 for a rebuilt one).
Thats a hell of a trade off compared to new batteries @ about $800. The increase in ethanol that was approved was from 10% to 15%, but those pumps that have 15% have to be labeled as there are many vehicles that cannot run on 15%.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:27 PM

You know you're on TOTV when the topic is "Is Range the only issue in gas vs. electric" and the subject is golf carts....not stoves!
Old 02-21-2011, 08:58 PM
Golden Sunrise Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
Thats a hell of a trade off compared to new batteries @ about $800. The increase in ethanol that was approved was from 10% to 15%, but those pumps that have 15% have to be labeled as there are many vehicles that cannot run on 15%.
Shimpy - I believe there are pluses and minuses to both, but consider this...

If you buy an electric, you will have the cost of electricity - to us this seems to be an undetectable blip - plus about $200 per year, escrowed toward a battery replacement (less if you consider the time value of $$).

With gas, you have the cost of the gas itself... usually premium to cut down on the smell... Not sure about mpg, etc. - but it isn't free....

For us - with my allergies/asthma - gas was not an option...
Old 02-21-2011, 09:17 PM
Default Golf cart

Once you go gas you'll never go back!

Old 02-21-2011, 09:22 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeBarb View Post
You know you're on TOTV when the topic is "Is Range the only issue in gas vs. electric" and the subject is golf carts....not stoves!

I also thought it was going to be about cooking ranges.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.