Reconditioned Cart

Closed Thread
Old 02-16-2010, 07:34 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!
Default Reconditioned Cart

Does anyone in the area recondition a golf cart better than Scott does at Grandpa's and Grandma's?

We went there last week because of his reputation here on TOTV. He is one awesome dude! Knowledgeable and willing to spend time with a couple of rookies despite the work he had to do!

We were majorly impressed with his product! I am sold, but husband wants to look further - geesh! He is torn with the $ difference between Scott's price for a 2006 and a new 2010. I told him - WE ARE SNOWBIRDS! WHY DO WE NEED A NEW CART! I could see getting the 2010 if we were here more than 3/4 months - BUT WE'RE NOT! You cannot get more cart for your $$ from anyone where we have shopped.

DH wants to drive to Ocala to Carts and Clubs to look at his inventory - but before I take that ride I wanted to find out from you guys if there is anyone who compares to Scott's ability to rebuild a cart and service his product?

Opinions, please.......

Old 02-16-2010, 08:12 PM
Platinum member

All good reconditioned carts look like brand new when delivered. The difference is in the age of the cart and the options. If you want half of the answer to your question, please tell us the final price quoted for the brand and year cart you are looking at, with the complete, itemized list of options.

The other half of the answer depends on the quality of workmanship of your dealer in reconditioning the engine and other drive parts. That part is hard to quantify. Dependable reputation and service record are big factors here.

I look forward to seeing your price quote!
Old 02-16-2010, 08:26 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I have no idea if Scott is the best around or not, but I will tell what I suggest to snowbirds -- get a used cart. If you're renting, get the cheapest used cart you can that's in decent condition, preferably gas since renters can do less damage to it or your garage through lack of knowledge. If you're not going to rent out your property, then get something reasonably priced that will make you happy.

It's not so much that you won't be using it frequently as that it will be sitting for so long. Even with a good housewatcher, it is still only going to be run once a week if electric, once a month if gas. While it supposedly won't hurt the cart, I wouldn't want my cart to be used that little on a continual basis. Then, when you're down here permanently, get the cart you truly want. You can use your present cart as a trade-in, a second or sell it. To me, a win-win.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 02-17-2010, 08:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

Golf Cart Connection nearby also has a big following and lots of recommendations. I don't think I'd travel to Ocala though, personally.
I agree with the above poster about not needing a new cart if a part-timer
Old 02-17-2010, 08:56 AM
Sage

Unclear if the price difference between a new cart and Scott's is alot or a little from your post. I am guessing it is a lot. If it is a little, you need to understand the options, i.e., gears, motor, etc.

Here is my opinion for what it is worth. If you do not feel comfortable working on carts, or evaluating the condition of a cart or the potential of being stranded because you missed something, lean toward new or reconditioned. Since I own an 00 (the old 00 ) and a 02 (currently in pieces), do not tell my wife I said this.

In the reconditioned market, quality people like Scott (I am positive there are others) will all build quality carts, but the more important factor is how they respond in 6 weeks. To me I would stay local with someone other folks have direct experiences with. I always support local business unless the value difference is excessive.

I am a big electric cart fan, but IMO you would be better suited for gas with your length of stay and battery maintenance. If you stay with Scott, my neighbors have had one of his gas Precedents for 2 years and tell me they like the ride better that there (new at the time ) gas Villages Cart.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:09 AM

We bought a 2008 reconditioned Precedent from Scott and love it. A few of our friends also have a Club Car from Scott and I haven't heard anyone complain about the cart or service from Grandma and Grandpa. I liked the fact that I was able to see my cart before it was put together, took several pictures and was able to design our cart.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:40 AM

Scott is great. I too am a snowbird and purchased a golf cart from Scott. He does excellent work and his service is excellent. I have recommended him to many snowbirds who own in the Villages. You will not be diasppointed.
Old 02-17-2010, 10:13 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Make the trip to Ocala, it is a short drive. I bought a new cart from Carts and Clubs and am very pleased with it. A new cart has several options not usually found on a used cart. Most can be added, but not all are easy. Things like a gas gauge, speedometer, storage shelf side lights, back of roof brake lights, directional indicator, more visible lights, better sunbrella cover and quality snaps and seams, fender guards, better headlights, side lights and many others. Many of these significantly improve safty. Go and look and then if you still want the used cart, go for it. Redwitch makes some excellent points as to why buy used. But if your spending that amount for a special built cart, go look at the new ones at Carts and Clubs. I highly recommend Ted and his wife and their service.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:44 AM
Default Carts and Clubs vs Grandpa and Grandmas

My wife and I purchased a new 2010 Yamaha from Carts and Clubs in November. In December, I rented a cart from Scott at Grandpa's. I love both businesses.

Here are my pros and cons.
Scott at Grandpa's -
Pros
1) Closer to Villages, They also rent (which I've done and will do again).
One nice thing about Grandpa Buggies on their rentals is, they are high speed gas.. (AND) they have enclosures (which The Villages don't do).
Cons
1) Scott doesn't rent 4 seaters (which to me is not bad) but I just thought I would mention it for those of you who need a 4 seater for visitors.

Ted at Carts and Clubs
Pros
1) Licensed Yamaha Dealer. Very reliable, and knows alot about Yamaha carts. He was about $1000 cheaper than Villages Golf Cars on our 2010 Fully loaded gas cart. I've had my cart serviced (oil change) once from C&C and they come to the villages Tue and Thu and do the service right at the end of your driveway. The service man was really efficient and nice.
Cons
1) They don't do rentals
2) A bit of a distance from villages(not quite to Ocala though)
3) Their showroom has limited viewable new carts because most are custom ordered.

If I buy a second cart I will probably buy it from Scott at Grandpa buggies, cause I know him more now since I've rented from him twice for visitors and will do so again in April this year.

You really can't go wrong from either dealer (my opinon) Good Luck.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:53 PM
Default Just got my golf cart !!!

JUST GOT MY CART FROM SCOTT, IT'S GREAT. GOING TO BUY OUR 2nd VERY SOON FROM SCOTT.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:05 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!
Default Reconditioned Cart

Well.......we did it! We rated the info you each offered and compared it to our shopping experiences and then did the spread sheet thing with the gotta have, wanna have, comes with, costs extra, yada yada yada.

Hands down, the best deal for us was Grandpa's and Grandma's Village Buggies - Scott and Vicki.

They sold us a 'just completed' dark candy apple red 2006 club car. It is sueeeet! The other places we visited just could not offer a package like they did. We knew Scott had just completed it because we bought on Wed and it had not been on the lot when we shopped there the previous Fri.!

Each of the sellers we visited had their strong points and special features and I would not dismiss buying from any of them. But I was very disappointed in the way we were treated at Clubs and Carts after making that trip up the hiway.

Maybe because we said we were open to buying either new or used or because we were not in our Ralph Lauren outfits, the older man/Manager explained he might have to leave shortly and offered us up to a young man standing in the room. He was pleasant and very informative and responsive - most likely because he was a mechanic and not a salesman. But he did seem to know his stuff and talked extensively about the differences in manufacture and accessories. As we perused the existing stock, the older man/Manager entered the "show room" with a nattily dressed couple strolling the new vehicle row....hmmm - didn't haft leave, I guess.

Anyway, the bottom line was that we could not find a deal similar to the '$1,000 less than the Villages new cart deal' that others mentioned; and adding in the extras that we wanted boosted the cost of their 2006 models beyond what we were prepared to pay. So on the way home we stopped at Scott's and bought the one that just came out of the building!

Thanks to all who took the time to type and share their information - you all helped us to keep our heads on straight and to not stray way beyond what we set out to buy!

Last edited by njbchbum; 02-22-2010 at 10:19 PM. Reason: title
Old 02-22-2010, 10:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettin out View Post
JUST GOT MY CART FROM SCOTT, IT'S GREAT. GOING TO BUY OUR 2nd VERY SOON FROM SCOTT.
gettin out -
I think we saw your cart when we were shopping and again when it was up on the trailer heading off on delivery! Are you the fireman from NY? My husband is an Ex-Chief from NJ! If you want/need any firematic decals for the cart, see Dee at LSL on Thurs market nite [only Thurs] - she is mocking up an ex-chief's badge for our cart. Hope it comes out well so that we don't have to bring our decals from home!

That cart is nice!!!!!!!

Old 02-22-2010, 11:02 PM
Soaring Eagle member

that's what this forum is all about, so nice to see people able to make better decisions based on info received here, kudos to jan and the admins, long live TOTV.....gn

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.