Roomiest Cart, Best Seats for Bigger Riders

Closed Thread
Old 04-21-2021, 01:24 PM
Default Roomiest Cart, Best Seats for Bigger Riders

So I did a search before posting this and didn't find any threads that discussed this or at least the search function could find:

We're looking at both new & used carts and want to know from people's experience what's the best cart both for roominess and ability to carry/propel bigger riders. I'm a (very) ex-football player, more wide than tall, my wife has very long legs so wide for me, legroom for her. I read a good thread that discussed buying expensive aftermarket seats being a good idea for making a long ride possible, any brands better than others? Better for larger riders? Just point me in the right direction and I'll do my own comparison shopping from there.

Thanks, Jim
Old 04-21-2021, 03:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,036 Times in 2,731 Posts

We have both a gas Yamaha and Club Car. Without a doubt the Yamaha is roomier, especially legroom wise. My wife is about 5' 2" and much prefers the tighter fit in the Club Car and I am over 6' tall and very much prefer the extra leg room in the Yamaha. I also find the Club Car more difficult to get into and out of when driving as there is not much room between the steering wheel and the seat. The Club Car is OK for just a drive, but I never would take it golfing when I have to get in and out of the cart often. Also, when I drive the Yamaha I have very good vision since I am looking right between the roof line and the seam in the fold down windshield, but when I am driving the Club Car I have to duck my head a little bit or the roofline takes away some of my field of vision. When it comes time for us to buy a new cart, I will go straight to Carts and Clubs of Ocala and get a Yamaha Quiet-Tech, it's the only cart I would even consider.

As far as aftermarket seats, they make a huge difference and are worth every penny in my opinion. Different seats fit peoples body types differently, so I would recommend going to a couple of golf cart dealers and sitting in the various seating options until you find the one that fits you the best. Good luck.
Old 04-21-2021, 05:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,129 Times in 2,241 Posts

OP, you should be able check golf cart widths on the various company websites, but I am guessing these are either standardized or limited by law, so getting wider seats may very well be limited to the width of the golf cart. IMHO, seats with the thin pipe type arm rests may get you some additional width, the padded ones we have cut down on seating width. I would suggest a trip to each of the major golf cart dealers for a fit test, then look at the alternatives to see if they offer better seating options.

I hope you find what you are looking for.
Old 04-21-2021, 08:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
OP, you should be able check golf cart widths on the various company websites, but I am guessing these are either standardized or limited by law, so getting wider seats may very well be limited to the width of the golf cart. IMHO, seats with the thin pipe type arm rests may get you some additional width, the padded ones we have cut down on seating width. I would suggest a trip to each of the major golf cart dealers for a fit test, then look at the alternatives to see if they offer better seating options.

I hope you find what you are looking for.
Good point on the width of seats. One thing I would add is that if you are wide, and especially have wide shoulders, then the bucket type seats might be too narrow for you. The El Tigre bucket seats in our Yamaha are too narrow for my shoulders. Our Club Car has Ultimate seats, which are a a very soft padded bench style seat, which does not constrain my shoulders like the bucket seats. Every type of seat fits a different body type, it is best to try the seats before buying. We have a friend with a Yamaha Quiet tech and I am not sure what brand of seat he has in the cart, but that is the seat that will be in our next cart, it's more comfortable than the seats in our cars.
Old 04-22-2021, 07:40 AM

Thanks for all the good information. I was leaning towards Yamaha already so that's probably the route we'll go new or used. Good advice on the seats, especially since I have very wide shoulders. You are all great resources here, thanks again!
Old 04-22-2021, 01:46 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-Runner View Post
So I did a search before posting this and didn't find any threads that discussed this or at least the search function could find:

We're looking at both new & used carts and want to know from people's experience what's the best cart both for roominess and ability to carry/propel bigger riders. I'm a (very) ex-football player, more wide than tall, my wife has very long legs so wide for me, legroom for her. I read a good thread that discussed buying expensive aftermarket seats being a good idea for making a long ride possible, any brands better than others? Better for larger riders? Just point me in the right direction and I'll do my own comparison shopping from there.

Thanks, Jim
Hey Roadrunner, I feel your pain, I'm 6'8" and a pretty big guy. After trying on different carts for size and legroom, I went with a new Yamaha quiet tech from Carts and Clubs in Ocala. They have many different seat/color options to customize the cart and were able to tilt the steering column up about an inch, and that makes a huge difference. My left knee still hangs out, but I'm careful not to be too close to passing traffic. Good Luck.

"I wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then"
-Bob Seger-
Old 04-23-2021, 05:23 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,858 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:

Thanks, Jim
You definitely should get a BENCH seat rather than bucket seats. The back could be split, but the seat should be one piece. Some of these are luxurious. Here are some examples of a top brand: Pages Archive - El Tigre Custom Golf Cart Seats | Golf Cart Seats. I like the Panther seats, myself, but they wouldn’t work for you.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	68591D16-7792-4331-935C-2A7B04A1E149.jpg
Views:	3104
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	89167  
Old 04-23-2021, 06:12 AM

Quote:

Thanks, Jim
Check out the Atomic electric carts. The 4 seater has a lot of room and the seat back tilts and is adjustable. It is air conditioned, heated, quiet and comfortable
Old 04-23-2021, 06:43 AM

Contact Susan P. at The Village Discount Golf she will be able to help you answer and if she doesn't have the answers for you she research and find out. 313-492-4439
Old 04-23-2021, 06:56 AM
Veteran member

Interesting comments and question from you, this is definitely a business opportunity for some golf Cart company to make a slightly bigger seat and size of cart
Old 04-23-2021, 07:16 AM
Veteran member

Gem
Old 04-23-2021, 07:18 AM
Colorado Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelhunter123 View Post
Check out the Atomic electric carts. The 4 seater has a lot of room and the seat back tilts and is adjustable. It is air conditioned, heated, quiet and comfortable
My hubby and I are just like you, Roadrunner; he’s wide and I have long legs. Thinking we might get a second cart, we test drove the Atomic carts yesterday and found them to very tight. Like putting on a tight sweater. Hard to even reach the seat belts. Worse, my head still hurts from when we hit a bump and the impact bashed the side of my head into the side frame, which was only an inch away. For the price, you can do better. Our lithium EZGO Freedom RXV Elite is much roomier, so we may just get another one if we can find a dealer who treats us well. No AC or heat, but with the breeze when driving we haven’t needed AC and zipping the enclosure is all we’ve needed for chilly days. I recommend a bench seat versus the more confining buckets, as well. Not only is a bench more comfortable, it gives you more legroom because it doesn’t stick out in front like many bucket seats do, making it easier to work the floor pedals. Best of all, the lithium battery we chose (4.2) can take us from the far north part of TV down to Everglades recreation center and back on a single charge. And we LOVE that lithium requires zero maintenance — no gas, no oil, no tune-ups, no batteries to top off with water — just plug the cart in whenever you want for any amount of time, long or short, no damage done. Great torque for getting up hills, plenty of power for heavy loads. We leave gas powered carts way behind.
Good luck in finding the best cart for you.
Old 04-23-2021, 07:32 AM
Default Par car?

No one has mentioned the Par Car. It looks larger and roomier - is it really? Does anyone have any experience or comments about the Par Car?
Old 04-23-2021, 07:44 AM

Where did you buy it?
Old 04-23-2021, 07:53 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoMan View Post
You definitely should get a BENCH seat rather than bucket seats. The back could be split, but the seat should be one piece. Some of these are luxurious. Here are some examples of a top brand: Pages Archive - El Tigre Custom Golf Cart Seats | Golf Cart Seats. I like the Panther seats, myself, but they wouldn’t work for you.
We have the El Tigre Texas Sportster High Back Bucket seats in our Yamaha and if I had to do it again I would get different seats. They are way to narrow for my shoulders. And wow, I can’t believe the price. We paid $900 for the seats about 6 years ago and now they are $1,899.
Closed Thread

Tags
riders, find, cart, wide, discussed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.