Roomiest Cart, Best Seats for Bigger Riders

Closed Thread
Old 04-23-2021, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahuna32162 View Post
Hey Roadrunner, I feel your pain, I'm 6'8" and a pretty big guy. After trying on different carts for size and legroom, I went with a new Yamaha quiet tech from Carts and Clubs in Ocala. They have many different seat/color options to customize the cart and were able to tilt the steering column up about an inch, and that makes a huge difference. My left knee still hangs out, but I'm careful not to be too close to passing traffic. Good Luck.
My wife's father was 6'8" too which is where she got her height from!
Old 04-23-2021, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandoMan View Post
You definitely should get a BENCH seat rather than bucket seats. The back could be split, but the seat should be one piece. Some of these are luxurious. Here are some examples of a top brand: Pages Archive - El Tigre Custom Golf Cart Seats | Golf Cart Seats. I like the Panther seats, myself, but they wouldn’t work for you.
That's good advice about the bench seat, plus riding around on it will be like my first car with bench seats when we dated in high school.
Old 04-23-2021, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDerington View Post
Contact Susan P. at The Village Discount Golf she will be able to help you answer and if she doesn't have the answers for you she research and find out. 313-492-4439
Thanks, that's one of the places we were going to check out and I'll ask for Susan.
Old 04-23-2021, 08:10 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J1ceasar View Post
Interesting comments and question from you, this is definitely a business opportunity for some golf Cart company to make a slightly bigger seat and size of cart

Please...this is exactly what we went thur this week. Bought a used Clubcar at Wholesale golf carts, when we tested it,the key was in the on postion and it had beautiful bucket seats.so just hit the pedal and go.
Once its home I was about to drive it.....mind you im not a small women and I have short legs and arms and a appropriate size chest....I tried to put the key in...I could not reach the ignition..I had a 5''gap! I literally had to lay on the seat and reach under the wheel. Which would not work with a passenger.
We contacted Wholesale and they switched out the seat with a bench one....free of charge-very nice of them.
So yes, the bench is much roomier-could even put the pooch between us.
Old 04-23-2021, 08:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,036 Times in 2,731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-Runner View Post
That's good advice about the bench seat, plus riding around on it will be like my first car with bench seats when we dated in high school.
Another advantage of bench style seats is that there is space between the two seats. That is important real estate in our golf cart because that’s where our Border Collie rides.

Last edited by tophcfa; 04-24-2021 at 05:56 PM.
Old 04-23-2021, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Girl View Post
My hubby and I are just like you, Roadrunner; he’s wide and I have long legs. Thinking we might get a second cart, we test drove the Atomic carts yesterday and found them to very tight. Like putting on a tight sweater. Hard to even reach the seat belts. Worse, my head still hurts from when we hit a bump and the impact bashed the side of my head into the side frame, which was only an inch away. For the price, you can do better. Our lithium EZGO Freedom RXV Elite is much roomier, so we may just get another one if we can find a dealer who treats us well. No AC or heat, but with the breeze when driving we haven’t needed AC and zipping the enclosure is all we’ve needed for chilly days. I recommend a bench seat versus the more confining buckets, as well. Not only is a bench more comfortable, it gives you more legroom because it doesn’t stick out in front like many bucket seats do, making it easier to work the floor pedals. Best of all, the lithium battery we chose (4.2) can take us from the far north part of TV down to Everglades recreation center and back on a single charge. And we LOVE that lithium requires zero maintenance — no gas, no oil, no tune-ups, no batteries to top off with water — just plug the cart in whenever you want for any amount of time, long or short, no damage done. Great torque for getting up hills, plenty of power for heavy loads. We leave gas powered carts way behind.
Good luck in finding the best cart for you.
My wife definitely wants a Lithium powered electric and it's good to hear that the EZGO fits you and your husband with similar room requirements. I've noticed how much room some of the aftermarket bucket seats take up and after reading the comments here will definitely go with a bench seat bottom. I'm considering a used gas model until we're there full time in a few years, but like you if we got what we considered a good deal at a dealer we'd likely go ahead and pay for a Lithium electric. Let us know if you find such a dealer so we can go there too!

Thanks, Jim
Old 04-23-2021, 08:18 AM

I have short legs so when I went golf cart shopping my priority was to get seats that move forward, just like in a car. Not all golf carts come like that. I paid extra for the convenience and boy am I glad I did. I drive my cart a lot so the comfort was well worth the price. Just another thing to look for. And yes I have a Yamaha but I think they all come as an option.
Old 04-23-2021, 10:08 AM

I'm not sure your going to find what you look for. It's a cart. For an xxl there just not going to be cozy. Tiger seats are the best . Sold aftermarket. Ar cart used to be a little taller
Old 04-23-2021, 01:49 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-Runner View Post
So I did a search before posting this and didn't find any threads that discussed this or at least the search function could find:

We're looking at both new & used carts and want to know from people's experience what's the best cart both for roominess and ability to carry/propel bigger riders. I'm a (very) ex-football player, more wide than tall, my wife has very long legs so wide for me, legroom for her. I read a good thread that discussed buying expensive aftermarket seats being a good idea for making a long ride possible, any brands better than others? Better for larger riders? Just point me in the right direction and I'll do my own comparison shopping from there.

Thanks, Jim
When you say large what do you mean. I’m 6’5” 330#s and my wife is5’7”, I know better than to say her weight. We have a 2013 Yamaha Drive and have plenty of room.
Old 04-23-2021, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodneysblue View Post
When you say large what do you mean. I’m 6’5” 330#s and my wife is5’7”, I know better than to say her weight. We have a 2013 Yamaha Drive and have plenty of room.
I resemble that remark (at least the weight part) my wife is taller but as far as weight we won't be going there either!!
Old 04-23-2021, 07:02 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

At 6 feet, 280 I am comfortable in our Yamaha gas cart. We have upgraded seats but might upgrade them some more as a 4-6 hour ride can get uncomfortable by the end. Go with the roll down sides as anything hard sided might feel too tight. Enjoy.
Old 04-23-2021, 10:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I had the front set adjusted by removing more foam by an auto body shop on 441 just past the Mexican Restaurant and then had some custom work done on the steering column by an independent guy who did the cutting and fabrication after he constructed someone Lanai in our neighborhood. It turned out great. Then I installed a steering wheel with the bottom of the wheel flat instead of the wheel being a perfect circle.

Then I used smaller plates and ate 6 small meals every day and drank lots of water and deprived myself of NOTHING. The combo of everything gave me a great outcome. PM me if I can help you a little more. I can do better with the names of the people who did the work for me I think. It's been a while but if you need it I'll look.
Old 04-24-2021, 12:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

What about those egg-shaped carts that are sold and serviced by Chrysler dealers? They’re ugly IMHO, but they are roomy.
Old 04-24-2021, 04:16 PM

We visited several golf cart places from Ocala to Leesburg and the west side of TV. That helped us decide exactly what we wanted. When we went back to that place mentioned above, ready to purchase, the owner/manager actually did his best to try and talk us out of what we wanted. SO, we came back TV shop in Brownwood, with all of our 'likes, dislikes, and don't wants, and designed our own. It's a Yamaha, and we love it (we were able to get an excellerator extension so I could easily reach the petal!
Old 04-24-2021, 05:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,036 Times in 2,731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villages Kahuna View Post
What about those egg-shaped carts that are sold and serviced by Chrysler dealers? They’re ugly IMHO, but they are roomy.
I think you are referring to the Polaris Gems. Those have a really wide wheel base and are very problematic to drive on the narrower paths in the northern sections of the Villages.
Closed Thread

Tags
riders, find, cart, wide, discussed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.