Roypow S51105 Lithium Battery after 9 months

Closed Thread
Old 07-19-2021, 11:43 AM
Default Roypow S51105 Lithium Battery after 9 months

My previous thread was closed so I have to start a new one for the update.

Roypow S51105 Lithium Battery Review

I just had Willie's come out for a check-up. Nothing they needed to do for the battery. He was surprised that I had zero problems with the Roypow battery. A lot of people who replace lead-acid with lithium have problems with the speed controller. He mentioned RELiON and Allied. The cart just stops. Then you have to turn the key off and back on again.

My range lately has varied between 65 and 70 miles. I typical charge when I reach 50 miles and still have 3 bars left. Still takes roughly 3 hours to charge. I always try to unplug the charger when the battery meter stops blinking.

Based on what I read, 65 miles range with a 105 Ah battery is much better than most. A neighbor just put one in his old Club Car. Be interesting to see what he gets.
Old 07-19-2021, 12:25 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

Saw a cart getting put on the Cart Aide trailer by our mailboxes yesterday. The cart aide guy said all his jobs lately have been lithium powered carts.
Old 07-19-2021, 12:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Good news, thank you.

It’s getting better all the time…
Old 07-20-2021, 07:59 AM

I changed my RXV EZ GO to lithium and had that shut off problem. Solved the problem by installing a heavy duty solenoid so it can take the added voltage.
Old 07-21-2021, 08:39 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilyclub View Post
Saw a cart getting put on the Cart Aide trailer by our mailboxes yesterday. The cart aide guy said all his jobs lately have been lithium powered carts.
Wonder if these were "conversion" carts. I would hate to think that these are new li-on carts from the manufacturers. I would think that most electric carts sold in the near future would have li-ion batteries. They seem to work very well and are reliable in power tools and other items.
Old 07-21-2021, 05:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footer View Post
My previous thread was closed so I have to start a new one for the update.

Roypow S51105 Lithium Battery Review

I just had Willie's come out for a check-up. Nothing they needed to do for the battery. He was surprised that I had zero problems with the Roypow battery. A lot of people who replace lead-acid with lithium have problems with the speed controller. He mentioned RELiON and Allied. The cart just stops. Then you have to turn the key off and back on again.

My range lately has varied between 65 and 70 miles. I typical charge when I reach 50 miles and still have 3 bars left. Still takes roughly 3 hours to charge. I always try to unplug the charger when the battery meter stops blinking.

Based on what I read, 65 miles range with a 105 Ah battery is much better than most. A neighbor just put one in his old Club Car. Be interesting to see what he gets.
My experience is with expensive rechargeable flash units. Similar to golf carts they have used lead acid batteries, similar to wet cells in golf carts but far smaller. There were gel cells, where the electrolyte is a jelly less likely to spill. There were nicads Lithium hydride and Nickle hydride.

They are all different but, the issue is the same with all of them. Cost, weight, capacity and life span.

Lead acid-it is easy to guesstimate remaining charge as the voltage falls off as the battery discharges. Nicads, Lithium hydride, Nickle hydride have a flat voltage curve that suddenly drops. It is far more difficult and expensive to accurately measure state of charge.

Your golf cart runs on higher voltage than one cell. For lead acid it is 2 volts per cell.
So 48 volts is 24 cells. That can be 4/12v. 6/8v, 8/6v difference in run time is amper hours, bigger bucket of water

The problem will all these systems. The cells are wired together in a series to raise the voltage. Some cells will be weaker than others. The other stronger cells will overpower the weaker cell and destroy it.
Closed Thread

Tags
battery, miles, roypow, problems, lithium

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.