Talk of The Villages Florida

Talk of The Villages Florida (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/)
-   All About Golf Carts and Things (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/)
-   -   Sales Tax? (https://www.talkofthevillages.com/forums/all-about-golf-carts-things-156/sales-tax-348524/)

Shipping up to Boston 03-16-2024 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianL99 (Post 2311728)
Temporary at best.

Despite their efforts to remain an "innocent 3rd party", eBay now is required to collect sales tax on all transactions.

Despite AirBnb's argument that they're only an innocent 3rd party or conduit, they're being forced to collect hotel taxes.

As we move towards a cashless society, the ability for big brother to track sales/purchases, increases exponentially. Collecting sales tax on a used vehicle when it is "Registered", is merely an expedient solution for taxing authorities, at this point in time.

If you buy a used car from a private party and never register it, you don't have to pay a sales tax? That defies logic. It's merely common practice, because it's the expedient solution.

Agree but the latter I disagree with. If a vehicle is purchased privately and sits on someone’s property unregistered and uninsured....it’s a planter.

rustyp 03-16-2024 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spinner1001 (Post 2311686)
Florida corporation income tax return.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rustyp (Post 2311689)
But I am not incorporated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by spinner1001 (Post 2311716)
But you could be incorporated… if you just paid your fair share. /sarc

Quote:

Originally Posted by rustyp (Post 2311724)
What do I incorporate as - financial advisor ? /sarc eieio

Quote:

Originally Posted by retiredguy123 (Post 2311751)
Note that, when you incorporate, you create a separate entity, the "corporation". So, techically, a person doesn't "incorporate".
A person is not a corporation and does not own a corporation. The corporation is a separate, taxed entity.

So the corporation pays the sales tax on the golf cart. Look at that - now two of us owe sales tax. I purchased the golf cart as an individual and then I sold it to the corporation ? All I ever wanted was my own golf cart not a ride share.

MrFlorida 03-16-2024 08:24 AM

Next time I have a garage sale, I'm charging you sales tax.... there, now we're legal.....

rustyp 03-16-2024 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrFlorida (Post 2311798)
Next time I have a garage sale, I'm charging you sales tax.... there, now we're legal.....

OK - Providing you send it in to the state. Pocketing the money would be a "illegal".

vinnytalk 03-16-2024 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrianL99 (Post 2311111)
Please tell me how a used golf cart is exempt from Florida Sales Tax?

I'm not insinuating everyone or even anyone actual pays Sales Tax, but I can't find anyplace in the laws or regulations that exempt a used golf cart. If you buy one from a dealer, you surely have to pay sales tax ... where does the supposed exemption come from, for "private sales" ?

Low Speed Vehicles - Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles

Chapter 320 Section 01 - 2021 Florida Statutes - The Florida Senate

What transactions are subject to the sales tax in Florida?

It's the same when you buy furniture or other items from private people. There is no reporting, but yes you are require to collect tge tax if you are the seller