Seat Belts Again

Closed Thread
Old 10-26-2015, 08:29 AM

I agree that seat belts should be used in a golf cart. But, being rather new to The Villages, I have observed that people driving the golf carts need to respect the fact that cars have the right of way and carts should yield to them. I've seen way too many near accidents because golf cart drivers feel they have the right to pull out in front of a car and the car is expected to yield to them. I guess they just don't want to use their brakes!
Old 10-26-2015, 09:46 AM
Default Golf cart seat belts

As much as I would like to install seat belts, I can't help but think and want to know that if in an accident, I am able to jump free of my cart. I have this fear of being pinned under my cart.
Old 10-26-2015, 02:30 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyPenO View Post
As much as I would like to install seat belts, I can't help but think and want to know that if in an accident, I am able to jump free of my cart. I have this fear of being pinned under my cart.

Trust me you can not jump that fast
Old 10-26-2015, 04:23 PM

I saw a older Pontiac Sunbird get nailed broadside when the driver made a U-turn in front of a trash truck. The Sunbird was crushed to half its width. The driver survived because he wasn't wearing his seat belt. He was literally pushed into the passenger seat as his car folded up around him. I'm positive he would have died if restrained by a seat belt. Pretty rare, but it happens. I didn't see the golf cart but it seems this could have happened to the golf cart driver
Old 10-28-2015, 09:30 AM
Gold member

We have seat belts in one cart and not the other. We do plan to get the 2nd one outfitted with seat belts too.

The reason.....our grandchildren. We have heard of accidents where very little body damage was done to the cart, but the occupants were thrown out. That is the most likely scenario here in TV.

If it prevents one injury, even a small one, it is a good investment and I think it reiterates, for the kids, the importance of safety and use of seat belts overall.
Old 10-28-2015, 11:46 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

It doesn't even have to be a collision. Unexpected braking or a quick little turn of the wheel left by a cart driver can eject a passenger from a golf cart. I'm a firm believer in seatbelts on golf carts.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
It doesn't even have to be a collision. Unexpected braking or a quick little turn of the wheel left by a cart driver can eject a passenger from a golf cart. I'm a firm believer in seatbelts on golf carts.
I agree......We heard these arguments when seat belts came out in cars and then air bags. Years of statistics prove them effective. There are only very rare instances when they wouldn't be. Like they say, "you pays your money and you takes your choice".........In a car it's a law for seat belts, but in a cart it's your choice......and life.

Last edited by Shimpy; 10-28-2015 at 03:45 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
bill, install, seat, club, belts, cars, specializes, yahamas, priced, reasonability, home, takes, minutes, call, 352-280-0141, give, colgan, accident, cart, appears, golf, recent, saved, reccoment, seatbelts

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.