Seat belts in golf carts

Closed Thread
Old 02-11-2015, 11:12 AM
Default Seat belts in golf carts

I just had the most wonderful experience putting seat belts in our 2nd golf cart. I had Lou Karnbach 352-552-8586 who installs Windshield screens for Golf Carts put in the belts. He not only did a fantastic job but is soooooo much cheaper than anyone else. We love our screens in both carts and strongly suggest to anyone with a cart to put in the Seat Belts before you ever get in one again. I am a survivor of a golf cart accident and thank God everyday. I've had 3 surgeries and lost the hearing in my left ear as a result of the accident I had 2-13-14. Please folks , understand how important it is to be belted in.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:12 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,034 Times in 364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromlich View Post
I just had the most wonderful experience putting seat belts in our 2nd golf cart. I had Lou Karnbach 352-552-8586 who installs Windshield screens for Golf Carts put in the belts. He not only did a fantastic job but is soooooo much cheaper than anyone else. We love our screens in both carts and strongly suggest to anyone with a cart to put in the Seat Belts before you ever get in one again. I am a survivor of a golf cart accident and thank God everyday. I've had 3 surgeries and lost the hearing in my left ear as a result of the accident I had 2-13-14. Please folks , understand how important it is to be belted in.
After living here for over 4 years and reading about cart accidents, head injuries, life flights to hospitals etc., I had seat belts installed and believe that is the best money I have spent while being a villager. It is not that difficult for a cart driver to catch a passenger off guard for whatever reason, and the end result can be devastating. I usually drive and my wife is usually the passenger. To protect her from accidentally falling out for the price of seat belts is absolutely priceless.
I know there are instances when they might not make a big difference, but all in all I recommend seat belts. It doesn't matter to me where you buy them. I'm glad the OP got them and thank you for the post.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:26 PM
Gold member

Please listen to the original poster's experience.

Not everyone who gets ejected from a golf cart onto pavement/curbing lives to warn you about it.

This story also relates to the current thread on rental golf cart insurance policies not being written to cover liability in case of a renter having an accident that causes accidental death or grave injury. Landlords and renters need to be aware of the dangers and need for liability coverage of renters when a golf cart is provided as part of a rental home.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:27 PM
Gold member
Default I agree

I agree 100%. I feel very uncomfortable now if I'm in someone else's cart that does not have seat belts. Not only do we have seat belts in both carts, but extra light bars as well. All we'll worth the price. It's like wearing a helmet while riding a bike. That slight extra might just save your life.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:06 PM

could not agree with you more. We are currently renting but our purchase will definitely include seat belts. We have friends that were thrown out of the cart and required brain surgery. Do not take a chance. Ione accident could be one too many.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:23 PM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to Shirleevee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
After living here for over 4 years and reading about cart accidents, head injuries, life flights to hospitals etc., I had seat belts installed and believe that is the best money I have spent while being a villager. It is not that difficult for a cart driver to catch a passenger off guard for whatever reason, and the end result can be devastating. I usually drive and my wife is usually the passenger. To protect her from accidentally falling out for the price of seat belts is absolutely priceless.
I know there are instances when they might not make a big difference, but all in all I recommend seat belts. It doesn't matter to me where you buy them. I'm glad the OP got them and thank you for the post.
We have seat belts and we recommend to all. We lost a friend who was
in a golf cart accident.

Staten Island, N.Y./The Villages
Old 02-11-2015, 03:38 PM
Sage

I believe in seat belts so I had them installed in my cart. A necessary safety feature. IMHO

Now I need to get a horn, so I can warn people.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 02-11-2015, 08:34 PM
Gold member

Seat Belts , just might save your life or prevent a serious injury. Get them.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy steam View Post
Seat Belts , just might save your life or prevent a serious injury. Get them.
Agree 100%. I had mine installed 2 years ago
Old 02-11-2015, 09:00 PM
Sage

click here for the story
He was an alumni from the high school where I worked. I knew the course well and the people who worked there. I was told he was leaning over to pick up something in the cart when the driver hit a bump. He landed on the concrete cart path.
This was a regular golf cart that can only go 12 mph.
Old 02-11-2015, 09:01 PM
Veteran member

I had seat belts installed in our golf cart. I wouldn't ride in a cart without belts now, no more than I would go out bicycling without my helmet. Golf cart drivers in The Villages often ride at too high a speed to negotiate corners or avoid curbs. I have passed carts in my car where I had to accelerate to pass them as they were doing 25+ miles per hour! These altered carts put a lot of pressure on other golf carts as they often pass them even though they were doing 20mph! I know I have been passed on a curve on the MultiModal path by an altered cart that was doing 25+. I honked the horn and in response the lady in a rush who passed me on a curve just honked her horn and accelerated! Golf carts are inherently unstable and should not be altered to go over 20mph. I would hope the police would ticket more of these impatient speeders. They endanger walkers, bicyclists, and other golf carters. When they pass you on a curve remember one thing, they are going to cut you off and slam back into your lane if they see another cart coming around the curve from the opposite direction. They will put their safety over yours and drive you off the path and possibly cause your cart to tip over. Most people are not stupid enough to pass on a curve when they are in their car, (probably because of the double yellow line.) but put them in a golf cart and they will pass on a curve when they can't see what is coming around in the opposite direction. It has happened to me on my bicycle as well even though I was doing 15mph. I yelled at the driver that he should not pass on a curve. I have also decided to not ride any more to the far right around tight curves and now take the whole lane so as to discourage passing. When the road straightens out, then I ride far to the right side of the MM path.
Old 02-12-2015, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cromlich View Post
You are so welcome. I was not thrown out My friend was driving and I was the passenger. A car pulled right in front of us and she hit it broadside. I went forward, hit my head on the bar, lost the hearing in my left ear from the concussion and knee, back and almost ripped my thumb off, hence the 3 surgeries. I thank God every day because it could have been worse and I could be dead. The driver of the car felt so horrible, they have admitted 100% being at fault but it just goes to prove you never know ......... seatbelts save lives. I thank everyone on here for caring enough about others to say so. I cannot stress enough the importance of having and wearing the seat belts in your golf carts.
Old 02-23-2015, 10:34 PM

i am deaf and moving there in April from MN and will remember what you said !
THANKS !!
Old 02-24-2015, 07:54 AM
Veteran member

Google "golf cart crash test"

Speeds as low as 11 mph are enough to eject one from a cart over the seat rails.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:19 AM
Email Reported As Spam

I don't like where this conversation is headed. Secondly there are safety counter points to this issue
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.