Evolution Golf Cart Review, November 2020

Closed Thread
Old 11-24-2020, 07:13 PM
Default Evolution Golf Cart Review, November 2020

I bought the Evolution Classic 4 Plus Golf Cart with 130AH battery 3 weeks ago. I ended up returning in but I had it long enough to write a review.

Pros:
Very nice display with speed, odometer, bluetooth, and the ability to play movies.
Cost was just under $10K for a 4 seater with Sunbrella and golf bag attachment.
The microphone and speakers work well so bluetooth phone calls were clear on both ends.
STM Golf Carts in Ocala were great to work with. They took back the cart and returned my old one with a RoyPow battery installed. (I paid for that. Will review later.)
The cart looks nice.
Seat belts front and rear.
The rear seat folds flat and there is a nice hidden storage box below the bed.
It's fast. Could get to 25 mph quickly.

Cons:
The main reason I returned it was because the range was only 40-45 miles. Not very good for a 130AH battery.
Side mirrors weren't great. No center mirror. The mirrors could only be folded in or out, no vertical adjustment, and the right mirror would never show anything useful.
The seat quality wasn't great.
The golf bag support partially blocks the back-up camera. They are supposed to have a better bag support later this year.
When the seat is folded flat there is a plastic piece that is supposed to hook around a bar. It did not and there was no way to adjust it.
The ride is rough. Feel every bump. My EZGO is much smoother.

So now I'm driving my 2011 EZGO with a Roypow S51105 battery and getting 65 mile range.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Evolution Overview.jpg
Views:	32008
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	87073   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Evolution Display + Front.jpg
Views:	25208
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	87074   The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	Evolution Display.jpg
Views:	28963
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	87075  

Last edited by Footer; 02-05-2021 at 07:39 PM.
Old 11-24-2020, 08:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,933 Times in 2,703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footer View Post
I bought the Evolution Classic 4 Plus Golf Cart with 130AH battery 3 weeks ago. I ended up returning in but I had it long enough to write a review.

Pros:
Very nice display with speed, odometer, bluetooth, and the ability to play movies.
Cost was just under $10K for a 4 seater with Sunbrella and golf bag attachment.
The microphone and speakers work well so bluetooth phone calls were clear on both ends.
STM Golf Carts in Ocala were great to work with. The took back the cart and returned my old one with a RoyPow battery installed. (I paid for that. Will review later.)
The cart looks nice.
Seat belts front and rear.
The rear seat folds flat and there is a nice hidden storage box below the bed.
It's fast. Could get to 25 mph quickly.

Cons:
The main reason I returned it was because the range was only 40-45 miles. Not very good for a 130AH battery.
Side mirrors weren't great. No center mirror. The mirrors could only be folded in or out, no vertical adjustment, and the right mirror would never show anything useful.
The seat quality wasn't great.
The golf bag support partially blocks the back-up camera. They are supposed to have a better bag support later this year.
When the seat is folded flat there is a plastic piece that is supposed to hook around a bar. It did not and there was no way to adjust it.
The ride is rough. Feel every bump. My EZGO is much smoother.

So now I'm driving my 2011 EZGO with a Roypow S51105 battery and getting 65 mile range.
Thanks for the interesting review. I have to admit that I have become a curmudgeon in my old age, so WTF is happening to good old simple golf carts. You can watch a movie in it, back up camera, hands free blue tooth phone calls? Is any of that really necessary for a golf cart? I recently observed a golf cart on a multi modal path and thought someone was driving a not so smart car, but I guess whatever I saw actually qualifies as a golf cart? Give me a gas Yamaha quiet-tech with some comfortable aftermarket seats, and enjoy the true golf cart experience. Trying to turn a golf cart into something that resembles a car, why bother, just drive your car.

If someone really wants to invent something that would be really useful for a golf cart, how about a windshield wiper that would work on a windshield that folds up and down, that would be great: )

Last edited by tophcfa; 11-24-2020 at 10:51 PM.
Old 11-24-2020, 10:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

That's a good review, seems the mileage is the biggest drawback. Mirrors and seats can be changed, in fact most new cart buyers upgrade the seats and rearview mirrors are easy to add or change. My neighbor bought a refurbished Yamaha from Villages Discount Golf Carts on 466 last year, and within 6 months both his mirrors fell off, the supports were too weak.

Any reason why you went to Ocala and not the Luxus dealer (formally Parr Car) of Leesburg. This is on the Leesburg dealer's Facebook page. I couldn't tell what kind of seats you had since the cart was turned backwards in your photo, but I guess they were same. They want $8680, but it looks like you have to add the Sunbrella shades and probably a few other things.

The Villages Florida

Luxus Golf Car, LLC
Old 11-24-2020, 11:28 PM

I live near Savannah Center, so STM is about the same distance to my house as Luxus. STM was the first to offer Roypow and my original plan was to have them install that battery in my EZGO. Then I saw the Evolution with 4 seats for a great price and decided to give it a try.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:10 PM

Basic cart is $8495. Sunbrella was $825. Golf bag support was $190. Plus tax. 2 sand bottles were free.
Old 12-01-2020, 02:18 PM

Just FYI. I went to Luxus (formally Parr Car) of Leesburg last week to look at an Evolution golf cart. Luxus not longer carries them. When I asked why, I was told the company moved the dealership to the Villages Discount Golf. Apparently, it came as a surprise to Luxus.
Old 12-01-2020, 02:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcullie View Post
Just FYI. I went to Luxus (formally Parr Car) of Leesburg last week to look at an Evolution golf cart. Luxus not longer carries them. When I asked why, I was told the company moved the dealership to the Villages Discount Golf. Apparently, it came as a surprise to Luxus.
Thinking about what Villages Discount Golf Cars have to sell, reconditioned Yamahas and EZ GOs. They don't offer anything new. They did have the Atomic Electric Cars here first and did a lot of advertising. I use go by there all the time and see 3 or 4 out front. Then Atomic opened their own dealership across from Brownwood. I guess they were looking for something to replace Atomic and was new.

After reading the OP's review of his Evolution, I don't think I would want one. There already is a Chinese electric cart that is a proven winner, that's the Star Cart. Not as cheap as Evolution, but there are many running in TV for a dozen years, use to be sold by Advantage Carts when they were here. Now the Crown Electric Carts in Wildwood behind Russell Stover has them.

I would also be interested in any reviews of the ICON electric, the Tampa dealer has some very good prices about the same as Evolution prices. Here's one, $7475:

The Villages Florida

ICON Golf Carts
– Bayside Custom Carts

Home - ICON Electric Vehicles

Crown Carts Wildwood Crown Carts

The Villages Florida
Old 12-09-2020, 06:49 AM
Gold member

That $8680 includes a lithium battery. The acceleration is a bit slow but can be adjusted.

Last edited by MorTech; 12-10-2020 at 03:02 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
golf, battery, cart, seat, nice

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.