Solar for golf cart to extend range of batteries

Closed Thread
Old 02-11-2020, 10:13 AM
Default Solar for golf cart to extend range of batteries

Hello. Has somebody installed a solar panel on top of an electric golf cart, to extend the range of existing batteries? I’m interested on getting the solar roof or the bolt-on solar but wanted to know if anyone here has experience with it. Thank you, -myk
Old 02-11-2020, 11:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

One thing to remember, golf carts are top heavy (high center of gravity), and adding the additional weight on the roof may not be a good idea, please investigate carefully.
Old 02-11-2020, 11:31 AM

Hello. Thank you for the reminder. I’ll keep that in mind. Thank you.. -myk.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:13 PM
DAIII

I think this is the same reason cars don't have them-- you need a bunch to make a real dent in the needs of an electric vehicle. They sell some as a trickle charger.. which works great. Doubt you will see any range maybe power a small fan with rooftop solar.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:24 PM
Platinum member

Not enough bang for the buck. Fine if you want to park in the sun and wait quite a while for a top-up. Not efficient enough to significantly extend your range while cart is in use.
Old 02-11-2020, 01:57 PM

I plan on doing this. My calculations show I would get about 4-5 miles gain per hour in bright sun. My cart has a AC motor (30% more efficient) and 180AHR lithium batteries so my range is already over 70 miles confirmed. Adding solar would reduce my charge time as well as other benefits. Panels are getting more efficient and cheaper...

Just saying.
Old 02-11-2020, 02:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I had sent you the private message earlier about Jimbo of Nova Filtration. Were you able to reach him and can you let us know what info he was able to provide? This is his avatar, he's a proponent of solar golf carts.

The Villages Florida
Old 02-11-2020, 02:29 PM
Sage

I am not sure how that could be possible. If you assume a 300 watt (nominal) panel, the most you could possibly realize in an hour would be 300 watt-hours of energy, and generally less. Are you suggesting that you are only consuming about 60 watt-hours of energy per mile? I believe your cart is consuming more like 150-200 watt-hours of energy per mile. Also, the charging is not 100% efficient. I believe a better estimate is about 1 mile per hour. Given that the cost of charing your battery from home is about 2 cents per mile and you have more range then you can reasonably use in a day, I am not sure what the motivation is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microcodeboy View Post
I plan on doing this. My calculations show I would get about 4-5 miles gain per hour in bright sun. My cart has a AC motor (30% more efficient) and 180AHR lithium batteries so my range is already over 70 miles confirmed. Adding solar would reduce my charge time as well as other benefits. Panels are getting more efficient and cheaper...

Just saying.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:48 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykvalentin View Post
Hello. Has somebody installed a solar panel on top of an electric golf cart, to extend the range of existing batteries? I’m interested on getting the solar roof or the bolt-on solar but wanted to know if anyone here has experience with it. Thank you, -myk
There’s a guy in the village of Charlotte that has a solar panel on his golf cart but I don’t think I should be giving his name out. Go to the Village of Charlotte mail boxes & post a message with your phone # or someway of contacting you & I’m sure he’ll contact you, he’s a super nice guy. Sorry I can’t give out his name without permission!
Old 02-12-2020, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
I am not sure how that could be possible. If you assume a 300 watt (nominal) panel, the most you could possibly realize in an hour would be 300 watt-hours of energy, and generally less. Are you suggesting that you are only consuming about 60 watt-hours of energy per mile? I believe your cart is consuming more like 150-200 watt-hours of energy per mile. Also, the charging is not 100% efficient. I believe a better estimate is about 1 mile per hour. Given that the cost of charing your battery from home is about 2 cents per mile and you have more range then you can reasonably use in a day, I am not sure what the motivation is.
^^^ this is why it isn't "a thing" ^^^, unfortunately.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:13 AM
Sage
Exclamation

Been doing solar carts for 7 years, mine has never been plugged in, I tested mine to 70 miles.

Installed several over the years, but it was an up hill battle convincing people how well it worked.

My focus is in Nova water filters now and don't have time to do solar install/retrofits.

I have about 5 systems that if someone wanted to install one I will sell out right and explain how mount and wire up.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
There’s a guy in the village of Charlotte that has a solar panel on his golf cart but I don’t think I should be giving his name out. Go to the Village of Charlotte mail boxes & post a message with your phone # or someway of contacting you & I’m sure he’ll contact you, he’s a super nice guy. Sorry I can’t give out his name without permission!
Thank you. I will try to contact him.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:17 AM
Sage

I built his
Old 02-12-2020, 08:19 AM

Hi Jimbo. How much is it and cost for showing me how to install it. Thanks. -myk
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
Been doing solar carts for 7 years, mine has never been plugged in, I tested mine to 70 miles.

Installed several over the years, but it was an up hill battle convincing people how well it worked.

My focus is in Nova water filters now and don't have time to do solar install/retrofits.

I have about 5 systems that if someone wanted to install one I will sell out right and explain how mount and wire up.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:24 AM
Sage
Thumbs up

The panel (Tier 1) is 265 watts and the charge controller I sell for $575 along with the time to detail the install

Bob

Tags
solar, cart, range, golf, batteries

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.