Solar for golf cart to extend range of batteries

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 02-11-2020, 10:13 AM
mykvalentin mykvalentin is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 24
Thanks: 4
Thanked 23 Times in 8 Posts
Default Solar for golf cart to extend range of batteries

Hello. Has somebody installed a solar panel on top of an electric golf cart, to extend the range of existing batteries? I’m interested on getting the solar roof or the bolt-on solar but wanted to know if anyone here has experience with it. Thank you, -myk
  #2  
Old 02-11-2020, 11:28 AM
villagetinker's Avatar
villagetinker villagetinker is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Village of Pinellas
Posts: 6,694
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1,528 Times in 652 Posts
Default

One thing to remember, golf carts are top heavy (high center of gravity), and adding the additional weight on the roof may not be a good idea, please investigate carefully.
__________________
Pennsylvania, for 60+ years, most recently, Allentown, now TV.
  #3  
Old 02-11-2020, 11:31 AM
mykvalentin mykvalentin is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 24
Thanks: 4
Thanked 23 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Hello. Thank you for the reminder. I’ll keep that in mind. Thank you.. -myk.
  #4  
Old 02-11-2020, 01:13 PM
DAIII DAIII is offline
Member
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 65
Thanks: 152
Thanked 72 Times in 32 Posts
Default

I think this is the same reason cars don't have them-- you need a bunch to make a real dent in the needs of an electric vehicle. They sell some as a trickle charger.. which works great. Doubt you will see any range maybe power a small fan with rooftop solar.
  #5  
Old 02-11-2020, 01:24 PM
Rapscallion St Croix's Avatar
Rapscallion St Croix Rapscallion St Croix is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: TV..Ugly Golf Swing Capital of the World
Posts: 1,687
Thanks: 18
Thanked 585 Times in 218 Posts
Default

Not enough bang for the buck. Fine if you want to park in the sun and wait quite a while for a top-up. Not efficient enough to significantly extend your range while cart is in use.
__________________
What am I supposed to call my Plantation Shutters now?
  #6  
Old 02-11-2020, 01:57 PM
Microcodeboy Microcodeboy is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 107
Thanks: 0
Thanked 18 Times in 4 Posts
Default

I plan on doing this. My calculations show I would get about 4-5 miles gain per hour in bright sun. My cart has a AC motor (30% more efficient) and 180AHR lithium batteries so my range is already over 70 miles confirmed. Adding solar would reduce my charge time as well as other benefits. Panels are getting more efficient and cheaper...

Just saying.
__________________
The real joy of knowledge is in sharing.
  #7  
Old 02-11-2020, 02:03 PM
John_W John_W is offline
Sage
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 6,373
Thanks: 2,112
Thanked 2,888 Times in 1,134 Posts
Default

I had sent you the private message earlier about Jimbo of Nova Filtration. Were you able to reach him and can you let us know what info he was able to provide? This is his avatar, he's a proponent of solar golf carts.

The Villages Florida
  #8  
Old 02-11-2020, 02:29 PM
biker1 biker1 is offline
Soaring Eagle member
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 2,478
Thanks: 1
Thanked 562 Times in 298 Posts
Default

I am not sure how that could be possible. If you assume a 300 watt (nominal) panel, the most you could possibly realize in an hour would be 300 watt-hours of energy, and generally less. Are you suggesting that you are only consuming about 60 watt-hours of energy per mile? I believe your cart is consuming more like 150-200 watt-hours of energy per mile. Also, the charging is not 100% efficient. I believe a better estimate is about 1 mile per hour. Given that the cost of charing your battery from home is about 2 cents per mile and you have more range then you can reasonably use in a day, I am not sure what the motivation is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Microcodeboy View Post
I plan on doing this. My calculations show I would get about 4-5 miles gain per hour in bright sun. My cart has a AC motor (30% more efficient) and 180AHR lithium batteries so my range is already over 70 miles confirmed. Adding solar would reduce my charge time as well as other benefits. Panels are getting more efficient and cheaper...

Just saying.
  #9  
Old 02-12-2020, 07:48 AM
OhioBuckeye OhioBuckeye is offline
Gold member
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 1,168
Thanks: 0
Thanked 221 Times in 173 Posts
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykvalentin View Post
Hello. Has somebody installed a solar panel on top of an electric golf cart, to extend the range of existing batteries? I’m interested on getting the solar roof or the bolt-on solar but wanted to know if anyone here has experience with it. Thank you, -myk
There’s a guy in the village of Charlotte that has a solar panel on his golf cart but I don’t think I should be giving his name out. Go to the Village of Charlotte mail boxes & post a message with your phone # or someway of contacting you & I’m sure he’ll contact you, he’s a super nice guy. Sorry I can’t give out his name without permission!
  #10  
Old 02-12-2020, 07:57 AM
Fastskiguy Fastskiguy is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Linden
Posts: 113
Thanks: 133
Thanked 57 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
I am not sure how that could be possible. If you assume a 300 watt (nominal) panel, the most you could possibly realize in an hour would be 300 watt-hours of energy, and generally less. Are you suggesting that you are only consuming about 60 watt-hours of energy per mile? I believe your cart is consuming more like 150-200 watt-hours of energy per mile. Also, the charging is not 100% efficient. I believe a better estimate is about 1 mile per hour. Given that the cost of charing your battery from home is about 2 cents per mile and you have more range then you can reasonably use in a day, I am not sure what the motivation is.
^^^ this is why it isn't "a thing" ^^^, unfortunately.
  #11  
Old 02-12-2020, 08:13 AM
jimbo2012's Avatar
jimbo2012 jimbo2012 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: LI, NY >Fernandina South
Posts: 7,180
Thanks: 67
Thanked 105 Times in 63 Posts
Exclamation

Been doing solar carts for 7 years, mine has never been plugged in, I tested mine to 70 miles.

Installed several over the years, but it was an up hill battle convincing people how well it worked.

My focus is in Nova water filters now and don't have time to do solar install/retrofits.

I have about 5 systems that if someone wanted to install one I will sell out right and explain how mount and wire up.
__________________
Nova Water filters | Solar Lithium golf cart upgrades
  #12  
Old 02-12-2020, 08:16 AM
mykvalentin mykvalentin is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 24
Thanks: 4
Thanked 23 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
There’s a guy in the village of Charlotte that has a solar panel on his golf cart but I don’t think I should be giving his name out. Go to the Village of Charlotte mail boxes & post a message with your phone # or someway of contacting you & I’m sure he’ll contact you, he’s a super nice guy. Sorry I can’t give out his name without permission!
Thank you. I will try to contact him.
  #13  
Old 02-12-2020, 08:17 AM
jimbo2012's Avatar
jimbo2012 jimbo2012 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: LI, NY >Fernandina South
Posts: 7,180
Thanks: 67
Thanked 105 Times in 63 Posts
Default

I built his
__________________
Nova Water filters | Solar Lithium golf cart upgrades
  #14  
Old 02-12-2020, 08:19 AM
mykvalentin mykvalentin is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 24
Thanks: 4
Thanked 23 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Hi Jimbo. How much is it and cost for showing me how to install it. Thanks. -myk
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
Been doing solar carts for 7 years, mine has never been plugged in, I tested mine to 70 miles.

Installed several over the years, but it was an up hill battle convincing people how well it worked.

My focus is in Nova water filters now and don't have time to do solar install/retrofits.

I have about 5 systems that if someone wanted to install one I will sell out right and explain how mount and wire up.
  #15  
Old 02-12-2020, 08:24 AM
jimbo2012's Avatar
jimbo2012 jimbo2012 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: LI, NY >Fernandina South
Posts: 7,180
Thanks: 67
Thanked 105 Times in 63 Posts
Thumbs up

The panel (Tier 1) is 265 watts and the charge controller I sell for $575 along with the time to detail the install

Bob
__________________
Nova Water filters | Solar Lithium golf cart upgrades
Closed Thread

Tags
solar, cart, range, golf, batteries

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:28 AM.