Storage for Golf Cart During Summer

Closed Thread
Old 01-18-2019, 08:31 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,636 Times in 951 Posts
Default Storage for Golf Cart During Summer

I am a snowbird renter, and looking at renting a place that will not have a cart included. I am examining the option of renting for 4 or 5 months, compared to the option of buying a used cart and having it stored for the months I'm not here.

It seems to me the ideal situation would be to buy from one of the local dealers who may also service and store it.

I'm looking for some recommendations from the group, for such a service.

thanks.
Old 01-18-2019, 06:23 PM

I have never seen an ad or heard of commercial golf cart storage. Part of the problem is that anything off campus would not allow you to simply drive it there.

I find it difficult to believe that The Villages golf cart dealers have secure, indoor storage since I see hundreds of rental golf carts parked behind their places.

You might put an ad here to ask to rent a chunk of someone's garage for the off season.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:13 PM
Gold member
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh

I doubt that any individual wants to assume the liability for storing your cart
Old 01-19-2019, 12:51 PM
Soaring Eagle member

good points. The more I ponder this, the more I think it makes more sense to rent. Less hassle, and probably cheaper too. Kind of stupid to pay more money for more hassle, eh?
Old 01-19-2019, 02:13 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
good points. The more I ponder this, the more I think it makes more sense to rent. Less hassle, and probably cheaper too. Kind of stupid to pay more money for more hassle, eh?
Here's an idea. Buy a older model used gas cart when you begin your rental - say $3,000 or less. use it while you are here and sell it for $2,500 right before you leave. There is always a market for inexpensive older carts in good condition. That would cost you $500 for 4-5 months (less if you can sell it for closer to what you paid for it) compared to $400 per month for a rental cart. Very little risk if you buy it right.
Old 02-04-2019, 01:10 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Here's a glitch... I have talked to several businesses who rent out golf carts, but so far have found none that provide an avenue for insurance, either on the cart itself, or for injury/liability. The universal response seems to be "you'll have to get that yourself through your insurer"...So I contacted my insurer (home, auto, boat, umbrella liability etc) and have been told I would not be insured in a rented cart, and they had no product, nor could they find anyone who had a product that would insure me in a rented cart.

Did some searching on TOTV and sure enough, it seems all of these folks zipping around in rented carts (including me for this season) are likely not insured. I hope I'm wrong. I'll keep searching.
Old 02-04-2019, 01:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Here's a glitch... I have talked to several businesses who rent out golf carts, but so far have found none that provide an avenue for insurance, either on the cart itself, or for injury/liability. The universal response seems to be "you'll have to get that yourself through your insurer"...So I contacted my insurer (home, auto, boat, umbrella liability etc) and have been told I would not be insured in a rented cart, and they had no product, nor could they find anyone who had a product that would insure me in a rented cart.

Did some searching on TOTV and sure enough, it seems all of these folks zipping around in rented carts (including me for this season) are likely not insured. I hope I'm wrong. I'll keep searching.
Cart insurance is not mandatory. There is no way of telling the percentage of uninsured golf carts out and about.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
Cart insurance is not mandatory. There is no way of telling the percentage of uninsured golf carts out and about.

my point is that it seems to be unavailable for anybody renting a cart.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:37 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
It is. And wherever you rent a cart, you will still have no insurance. As was pointed out, insurance is not mandatory on a golf cart. There are tens of thousands "zipping around" on uninsured carts in the villages. On the other hand, I've researched and never seen a single report of a lawsuit over an uninsured cart. If you can find one, I'd love to read the details. It's not much more than an uninsured bicycle. You will read much more paranoia about how one should never rent a cart because it's uninsured.
If it is causing that much worry, you'd probably just be better off driving a car.
Old 02-05-2019, 06:11 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring_chicken View Post
It is. And wherever you rent a cart, you will still have no insurance. As was pointed out, insurance is not mandatory on a golf cart. There are tens of thousands "zipping around" on uninsured carts in the villages. On the other hand, I've researched and never seen a single report of a lawsuit over an uninsured cart. If you can find one, I'd love to read the details. It's not much more than an uninsured bicycle. You will read much more paranoia about how one should never rent a cart because it's uninsured.
If it is causing that much worry, you'd probably just be better off driving a car.
I think the opportunity to inflict injury on someone else, and thereby incurring an exposure to an expensive liability suit, is far greater with a golf cart than a bicycle. I'm guessing that's why nobody wants to touch it. It does worry me. Probably not enough to give up the golf cart, but enough that I'd rather buy one and be insured, than rent one and be "naked".
Old 02-05-2019, 06:23 PM
Gold member

Isnt wonderful to be retired and have these kinds of “Problems”?
Old 02-06-2019, 09:58 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagerjack View Post
Isnt wonderful to be retired and have these kinds of “Problems”?
yeah, no kidding. Much easier to deal with than work, bosses, unhappy customers, tax forms, new regulations etc etc etc
Old 02-06-2019, 10:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

Seems to me your best option is to find another rental house with a golf cart.
Hundreds to choose from.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:47 AM
Default My suggestion re: Insurance

Quote:
I would check with you insurance agent rather than villagers.
Simple fact, while people mean well they do not know your insurance coverage or what may or may not be so with their coverage may not apply to you.

As others have stated you do not by law need to have insurance on a golf cart that suits the under 20 mph speed limit. Here goes all the arguments that everyone else etc. The fact is unless insured and licensed for use on the road, your insurance will not cover you.

My advice from my mother who used to work for an insurance agent is to have a million dollar umbrella policy. Should you be sued the insurance company on the hook for a million will defend the case. I've never been sued but you can bet if the party suing you hires a typical ambulance chaser just to get your attention the suit will be at least a million and may well take years. At 2-300 an hour you can well win the case but end up in poverty.

I have golf cart insurance. Cause and effect? Since, it is not required, it is very reasonable as part of your home owners insurance.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth View Post
I would check with you insurance agent rather than villagers.
Simple fact, while people mean well they do not know your insurance coverage or what may or may not be so with their coverage may not apply to you.

As others have stated you do not by law need to have insurance on a golf cart that suits the under 20 mph speed limit. Here goes all the arguments that everyone else etc. The fact is unless insured and licensed for use on the road, your insurance will not cover you.

My advice from my mother who used to work for an insurance agent is to have a million dollar umbrella policy. Should you be sued the insurance company on the hook for a million will defend the case. I've never been sued but you can bet if the party suing you hires a typical ambulance chaser just to get your attention the suit will be at least a million and may well take years. At 2-300 an hour you can well win the case but end up in poverty.

I have golf cart insurance. Cause and effect? Since, it is not required, it is very reasonable as part of your home owners insurance.

I have checked with my insurance agent (back home, in NY) and she said they have no product, and can find no product that would insure me as a renter of a cart.
Closed Thread

Tags
cart, service, option, months, renting

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.