Storage for Golf Cart During Summer

Storage for Golf Cart During Summer

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Storage for Golf Cart During Summer
  #1  
Old 01-18-2019, 08:31 AM
Laker14 Laker14 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 224
Default Storage for Golf Cart During Summer

I am a snowbird renter, and looking at renting a place that will not have a cart included. I am examining the option of renting for 4 or 5 months, compared to the option of buying a used cart and having it stored for the months I'm not here.

It seems to me the ideal situation would be to buy from one of the local dealers who may also service and store it.

I'm looking for some recommendations from the group, for such a service.

thanks.
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old 01-18-2019, 06:23 PM
PaulDenise PaulDenise is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 191
Default

I have never seen an ad or heard of commercial golf cart storage. Part of the problem is that anything off campus would not allow you to simply drive it there.

I find it difficult to believe that The Villages golf cart dealers have secure, indoor storage since I see hundreds of rental golf carts parked behind their places.

You might put an ad here to ask to rent a chunk of someone's garage for the off season.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #3  
Old 01-18-2019, 09:13 PM
Fredman's Avatar
Fredman Fredman is online now
Veteran member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Pittsburgh, Cincinnati,Chicago ,buffalo, Asheville ,Pittsburgh
Posts: 535
Default

I doubt that any individual wants to assume the liability for storing your cart
__________________
GO STEELERS
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-19-2019, 12:51 PM
Laker14 Laker14 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 224
Default

good points. The more I ponder this, the more I think it makes more sense to rent. Less hassle, and probably cheaper too. Kind of stupid to pay more money for more hassle, eh?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-19-2019, 02:13 PM
eweissenbach's Avatar
eweissenbach eweissenbach is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Smithville (Kansas City) Mo./ Megan Villas, Sanibel TV
Posts: 4,105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
good points. The more I ponder this, the more I think it makes more sense to rent. Less hassle, and probably cheaper too. Kind of stupid to pay more money for more hassle, eh?
Here's an idea. Buy a older model used gas cart when you begin your rental - say $3,000 or less. use it while you are here and sell it for $2,500 right before you leave. There is always a market for inexpensive older carts in good condition. That would cost you $500 for 4-5 months (less if you can sell it for closer to what you paid for it) compared to $400 per month for a rental cart. Very little risk if you buy it right.
__________________
Oldcoach Ed
"You cannot direct the wind, but you can adjust the sails" "Be yourself - everyone else is taken"
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-04-2019, 01:10 PM
Laker14 Laker14 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 224
Default

Here's a glitch... I have talked to several businesses who rent out golf carts, but so far have found none that provide an avenue for insurance, either on the cart itself, or for injury/liability. The universal response seems to be "you'll have to get that yourself through your insurer"...So I contacted my insurer (home, auto, boat, umbrella liability etc) and have been told I would not be insured in a rented cart, and they had no product, nor could they find anyone who had a product that would insure me in a rented cart.

Did some searching on TOTV and sure enough, it seems all of these folks zipping around in rented carts (including me for this season) are likely not insured. I hope I'm wrong. I'll keep searching.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-04-2019, 01:24 PM
photo1902 photo1902 is online now
Platinum member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,523
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
Here's a glitch... I have talked to several businesses who rent out golf carts, but so far have found none that provide an avenue for insurance, either on the cart itself, or for injury/liability. The universal response seems to be "you'll have to get that yourself through your insurer"...So I contacted my insurer (home, auto, boat, umbrella liability etc) and have been told I would not be insured in a rented cart, and they had no product, nor could they find anyone who had a product that would insure me in a rented cart.

Did some searching on TOTV and sure enough, it seems all of these folks zipping around in rented carts (including me for this season) are likely not insured. I hope I'm wrong. I'll keep searching.
Cart insurance is not mandatory. There is no way of telling the percentage of uninsured golf carts out and about.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-04-2019, 07:38 PM
Laker14 Laker14 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 224
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo1902 View Post
Cart insurance is not mandatory. There is no way of telling the percentage of uninsured golf carts out and about.

my point is that it seems to be unavailable for anybody renting a cart.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-04-2019, 08:37 PM
spring_chicken spring_chicken is offline
Veteran member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 869
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laker14 View Post
my point is that it seems to be unavailable for anybody renting a cart.
It is. And wherever you rent a cart, you will still have no insurance. As was pointed out, insurance is not mandatory on a golf cart. There are tens of thousands "zipping around" on uninsured carts in the villages. On the other hand, I've researched and never seen a single report of a lawsuit over an uninsured cart. If you can find one, I'd love to read the details. It's not much more than an uninsured bicycle. You will read much more paranoia about how one should never rent a cart because it's uninsured.
If it is causing that much worry, you'd probably just be better off driving a car.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-05-2019, 06:11 PM
Laker14 Laker14 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 224
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring_chicken View Post
It is. And wherever you rent a cart, you will still have no insurance. As was pointed out, insurance is not mandatory on a golf cart. There are tens of thousands "zipping around" on uninsured carts in the villages. On the other hand, I've researched and never seen a single report of a lawsuit over an uninsured cart. If you can find one, I'd love to read the details. It's not much more than an uninsured bicycle. You will read much more paranoia about how one should never rent a cart because it's uninsured.
If it is causing that much worry, you'd probably just be better off driving a car.
I think the opportunity to inflict injury on someone else, and thereby incurring an exposure to an expensive liability suit, is far greater with a golf cart than a bicycle. I'm guessing that's why nobody wants to touch it. It does worry me. Probably not enough to give up the golf cart, but enough that I'd rather buy one and be insured, than rent one and be "naked".
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cart, service, option, months, renting

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:02 PM.