Street Legal Gas Cart

Closed Thread
Old 04-20-2018, 05:28 AM
Default Street Legal Gas Cart

Has anyone come across or own a street legal gas cart.
If so, where can I get one?
Old 04-20-2018, 05:49 AM
Veteran member

I think statute says it must be electric.
Old 04-20-2018, 07:28 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

They are classified as a LSV (low speed vehicle) so they have to be electric to qualify and allowed to be licensed in the state of Florida. A gas one is called a Smart Car and can't be used on the golf course.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

There are street legal gas carts all over The Villages.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:53 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Your source?
Old 04-20-2018, 11:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,147 Times in 2,246 Posts

OP, make sure you know what your are getting into. The insurance for a LSV (aka street legal golf cart), is close to that of a car. You are still limited in which roads you can operate the LSV, as I recall the street must be posted for speed of 35 mph or less. And of course your LSV is limited to 25 mph.

IMHO, not worth it, but there a many in TV so I am sure that I am missing something. In any case do your due diligence, you may want to call the Sumter County police (non-emergency number) and discuss the specific requirements withy them. I have seen lots of misleading info here.

Good luck with your quest.
Old 04-20-2018, 11:12 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Quote:
Not true. There are gas carts that go 25 mph. There are carts with plates on them. But those are not street legal carts. All street legal carts in Florida must be electric. They must have safty glass windshield, windshield wipers, shoulder type seat belts and other safety equipment.

Just google the Florida law and read it all the way through. It's a ways in before they tell you it applies to electric carts only.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:03 PM
Sage

Windshield wipers aren't required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Not true. There are gas carts that go 25 mph. There are carts with plates on them. But those are not street legal carts. All street legal carts in Florida must be electric. They must have safty glass windshield, windshield wipers, shoulder type seat belts and other safety equipment.

Just google the Florida law and read it all the way through. It's a ways in before they tell you it applies to electric carts only.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

////

Last edited by photo1902; 04-20-2018 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 01:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
Your source?
I did a search for “street legal gas golf carts” and found a lot for sale.
So, when I see a gas cart with Florida plates on Buena Vista, the are breaking the law?
Old 04-20-2018, 02:36 PM

FAQ - STREET LEGAL LSV'S
Old 04-20-2018, 03:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I remember about 2 years ago reading in the Sun that the law had changed and a gas cart that started out as a regular golf cart could be converted to a Street Legal Cart. According to the link above, here is what you need.

The standard requires ten specific items of safety equipment.

(1) Headlamps, (2) Front and rear turn signal lamps, (3) Tail lamps, (4) Stop lamps,

(5) Reflex reflectors: one red on each side as far to the rear as practicle, and one red on the rear,

(6) An exterior mirror mounted on the driver's side of the vehicle and either an exterior mirror mounted on the passenger's side of the vehicle or an interior mirror,

(7) A parking brake, (8) A windshield that conforms to the Federal motor vehicle safety standard on glazing materials (49 CFR 571.205). (9) A VIN that conforms to the requirements of part 565 Vehicle Identification Number of this chapter, and

(10) A Type 1 or Type 2 seat belt assembly conforming to Sec. 571.209 of this part, Federal Motor

Vehicle Safety Standard No. 209, seat belt assemblies, installed at each designated seating position.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:00 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post

I did as you suggested and Googled the Florida Statute.

Here is the official affidavit used to affirm that a golf cart has been converted to a street legal low speed vehicle. It outlines all requirements including the statement that cart can be gas or electric and the requirement to have windshield wipers.

There are two things required that I have never seen on street legal golf carts in TV.....license plate light and Slow Moving Vehicle Emblem.

https://www.flhsmv.gov/pdf/forms/86064.pdf

Last edited by Rapscallion St Croix; 04-20-2018 at 05:06 PM.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
OP, make sure you know what your are getting into. The insurance for a LSV (aka street legal golf cart), is close to that of a car. You are still limited in which roads you can operate the LSV, as I recall the street must be posted for speed of 35 mph or less. And of course your LSV is limited to 25 mph.

IMHO, not worth it, but there a many in TV so I am sure that I am missing something. In any case do your due diligence, you may want to call the Sumter County police (non-emergency number) and discuss the specific requirements withy them. I have seen lots of misleading info here.

Good luck with your quest.
NOt worth it? For us that value dollar, it's not worth it to us. For those that time more important and money, it's worth it? IMO the only reason to own street legal golf cart? So they can crank them up to 35 plus mph and race for one tee time to another.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
I did as you suggested and Googled the Florida Statute.

Here is the official affidavit used to affirm that a golf cart has been converted to a street legal low speed vehicle. It outlines all requirements including the statement that cart can be gas or electric and the requirement to have windshield wipers.

There are two things required that I have never seen on street legal golf carts in TV.....license plate light and Slow Moving Vehicle Emblem.

https://www.flhsmv.gov/pdf/forms/86064.pdf
You mean the big sign "street legal" not legal?
Closed Thread

Tags
street, gas, cart, legal

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.