Street rod backfiring immediately after service

Closed Thread
Old 04-11-2018, 11:44 AM
Default Street rod backfiring immediately after service

After my annual Streetrod checkup last August it immediately started backfiring especially when entering tunnels. I called and was told that I should use premium fuel. I had a full tank and only used the cart once a week so it took months but I eventually used enough to put in a full tank but it still backfires. The service company then suggested I need a new carburetor, but I never had problems before their service.

Are they correct that they didn't cause the problem? Do I need a new carburator? Should I find a new service company?
Old 04-11-2018, 12:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

IMO I highly doubt it if it wasn't having problems before? Why did you have it service? Routine or did it have problem? Some street cars carts have twins honda or KAW engines in them if there on easy-go frame? Is you're single cylinder or twin? Did the service include spark plug/plugs and air filter change? If so that would be the first place I would look? It you can't do this yourself, try somebody else. Backfire usually means unburnt fuel left in the combustion chamber creating fuel rich environment. Which could mean carburetor problem, timing problem, Air restriction problem, and spark plug gap problem IMO
Old 04-11-2018, 01:42 PM

I use to work for street rod. They are built on Club Car chassis not EZGo. No Honda engines. The older ones have a Kawasaki one cylinder engine, the new ones have a Subru one cylinder. Backfiring is not caused by fuel grade. What usually causes it is the idle adjustment screw on the carb vibrates open more. Backing out on the idle adjustment will usually stop the backfiring. When you let up on the gas pedal there is a ignition micro switch that turns the ignition off, then you press the gas pedal it turns the ignition back on so the engine will start. With the idle screw set to high it leaves the throttle plate open, fuel is sucked into the engine. Then when you hit the gas pedal to go it turns the ignition on and bang!

You should not need a new carb, they probably did not cause the problem, find someone that knows what they are doing. This sometimes it is a problem not too many people are really qualified to work on golf carts.

Last edited by 427dave; 04-11-2018 at 01:48 PM.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:01 PM

thank you for your replies. I should have mentioned that this is a 2005 gas Street Rod. This was just a routine annual service from a firm I found recommended by several people on TOTV. I notice the backfiring most often when I'm going down the hill about to turn into the tunnel. I've been out of town a lot recently so I haven't driven it anywhere except to the mailboxes for the past month or so, but I think it happens when I release the gas pedal. Does that make sense? I'll take it out tomorrow to try to nail down when it occurs.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:05 PM

You don't need a carburetor, very rare carburetors or fuel pumps need replaced.

More than likely a simple adjustment will fix your issue. I agree, just find the right person to look at it,I agree, the majority have no clue what they are doing
Old 04-11-2018, 07:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,127 Times in 2,240 Posts

OK, not a GC expert, but i have worked on a lot of cars. Try some spray carb cleaner, also, many small engines have a float in the carb. As I recall these can be accessed by dropping the bowl. Check for dirt where the needle valve is located, try spraying carb cleaner in this area. You might want to see if you can get a rebuild kit, as the needle valve may have failed, allowing excessive gas to accumulate.
Hope this helps.
Old 04-11-2018, 07:44 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGC View Post
You don't need a carburetor, very rare carburetors or fuel pumps need replaced.

More than likely a simple adjustment will fix your issue. I agree, just find the right person to look at it,I agree, the majority have no clue what they are doing
Sounds like air/fuel mixture is off.
Always best to try simplest thing first!
Old 04-11-2018, 07:53 PM
Gold member

golf cart carburetor adjustment backfire - Google Search
Old 04-11-2018, 08:11 PM
Default From what you are saying

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwbrandt View Post
thank you for your replies. I should have mentioned that this is a 2005 gas Street Rod. This was just a routine annual service from a firm I found recommended by several people on TOTV. I notice the backfiring most often when I'm going down the hill about to turn into the tunnel. I've been out of town a lot recently so I haven't driven it anywhere except to the mailboxes for the past month or so, but I think it happens when I release the gas pedal. Does that make sense? I'll take it out tomorrow to try to nail down when it occurs.
When, you are going down the hill with your foot off the gas, the engine is still sucking fuel. So when you step on the gas peddle, that excess fuel is ignited by the hot burned fuel from the engine.

A carburetor rebuild might help, if you could do it and do it correctly. The rebuild kit will cost you ????? at least 8-12 dollars. Since a new carburetor is like $30 and the shop bills time at ???$75 ish it does not pay for the shop to rebuild a carb so they will replace with new. You stated your golf cart is 2005. You said you do not use it much but if you bought it used, there could be many issues. The shop will run a compression check to be sure the valves etc are good.

I'm sure there are many good mechanics around. Personally, we've been using Villages Golf Carts and have been pleased. While they work on your cart they will give you the use of a loaner
Old 04-11-2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
OK, not a GC expert, but i have worked on a lot of cars. Try some spray carb cleaner, also, many small engines have a float in the carb. As I recall these can be accessed by dropping the bowl. Check for dirt where the needle valve is located, try spraying carb cleaner in this area. You might want to see if you can get a rebuild kit, as the needle valve may have failed, allowing excessive gas to accumulate.
Hope this helps.
Spraying carb cleaner will not help, and there is never a need for a rebuild kit. The parts that are in the kit, never wear out.

If the needle was not working, it would fill the motor with fuel. We do see this quite a bit, but it is an easy fix. On Club cars this is rare.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth View Post
When, you are going down the hill with your foot off the gas, the engine is still sucking fuel. So when you step on the gas peddle, that excess fuel is ignited by the hot burned fuel from the engine.

A carburetor rebuild might help, if you could do it and do it correctly. The rebuild kit will cost you ????? at least 8-12 dollars. Since a new carburetor is like $30 and the shop bills time at ???$75 ish it does not pay for the shop to rebuild a carb so they will replace with new. You stated your golf cart is 2005. You said you do not use it much but if you bought it used, there could be many issues. The shop will run a compression check to be sure the valves etc are good.

I'm sure there are many good mechanics around. Personally, we've been using Villages Golf Carts and have been pleased. While they work on your cart they will give you the use of a loaner
New OEM carburetors are not 30 dollars. That's the aftermarket junk. Simple google search youll find out how bad they are. Rare to change a carb anyway.
Backfires are not rocket science to fix and rarely take any parts to fix.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,127 Times in 2,240 Posts

No problem, I was just going on prior experience with other small gas engines. I bow to the experts.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:08 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts

Quote:
I had the same problem with my 2007 several years ago. The Cart Fixer, Michael, fixed the problem.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:07 PM

Thanks to Michael (cart fixer:352-433-5411) my street rod is now running beautifully. I used him years ago for replacing batteries in an electric cart and should have stayed with him. He cleaned and adjusted the carburetor which he said really needed it.

I hope no one else gets told that premium gas will correct a poorly done job. I'm quite disappointed with the service I used but will not name them here. I just want to recommend (cart fixer) instead.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:26 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts

Quote:
Thanks to Michael (cart fixer:352-433-5411) my street rod is now running beautifully. I used him years ago for replacing batteries in an electric cart and should have stayed with him. He cleaned and adjusted the carburetor which he said really needed it.

I hope no one else gets told that premium gas will correct a poorly done job. I'm quite disappointed with the service I used but will not name them here. I just want to recommend (cart fixer) instead.
My carts love Michael!
Closed Thread

Tags
service, tank, full, company, immediately

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.