Suggestions please for cart updates.

Closed Thread
Old 02-12-2019, 12:27 PM
Default Suggestions please for cart updates.

I am updating a 2015 Yamha gas cart. It's a great cart with about 150 hours.
I'm thinking of adding a speedometer, adding retractable seatbelts, replacing the original headlights with LED lights, and adding a USB port.

Can you guys tell me whether these are good updates? Also what they cost if you've had it done. I also wondered which speedometer is best for puttering around in the Villages. Any other comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:16 PM

I bought a 2014 with 140 hours on it. It had the nice speedometer on it already - it's the electronic one that mounts around the steering column and sits right in front of the driver almost like an instrument cluster. It also came with the upgraded high back seats that are adjustable - very nice for long rides. I added a dash kit to provide lockable enclosures in the dash (around $100 online and installed DIY), a forward overhead storage tray (I think less than $100 installed by TV Carts), a sand bottle kit (about $35 online and installed DIY), a mesh "grocery bag" that fits on the back (prices vary online but no install necessary). When I had it serviced at TV carts, I had them add a dual usb charging port and LED strips on the front and down the sides that also function as turn signals. Can't remember the exact prices of those last 2 things but TV carts publishes those prices including installation on handouts available in any of their stores. I thought about the LED headlights but the ones that are on it now are sufficient, so I left them alone. I also swapped out the thick "welcome mat" style floormat for a thinner rubber "Weathertech" style mat (also purchased online but don't recall the price). Another nice upgrade, that mine already had, is the digital hour meter mounted in the dash that also has a gas gauge on it so I don't have to lift the seat every time I want to check the fuel level.
Old 02-12-2019, 01:22 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Priority in order:

Seatbelts

Headlights

USB

Speedo

I really don't look at my speed...........nice to have, not necessary.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:28 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Priority in order:

Seatbelts

Headlights

USB

Speedo

I would prioritize speedometer over USB as I look at my speed (even though I haven't goosed the governor or anything) and don't think I've ever used my USB ports.

If you don't already have upgrade seats, I found those well worth the money. Not only do I get better back and seat support than the default bench seat but the driver seat adjusts forward and back, allowing my wife to reach the pedals without those stupid Velcro blocks on the pedals.

If the cart doesn't already have some lights on the sides, those are worth adding as they make you more visible from the side. Nice to have to prevent getting T-boned.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,933 Times in 2,703 Posts

Seatbelts are a great upgrade, but I like the adjustable, not the retractable. Every time you move the retractable belts get tighter and you have to take them off and re-attach them to get them looser. Led headlights are a great update also, not only can you see better at night, they draw much less power so then don't dim when you slow down and get brighter when you accelerate. My Yamaha does not have a speedometer and I find no need to have one as long as your cart is set at a maximum speed of 20 MPH. With a good bluetooth speaker there is no need for a USB port if listening to music is what you want the USB port for. Quality aftermarket seats are easily one of the best upgrades you can make to your cart, but they cost around $1,000.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:12 PM

Congratulations on the acquisition and good luck on planning the upgrades. IMHO, the single best upgrade you can do is the SEATS. I have Utopia brand and they fully adjustable and separate, so you don't have to lift up the entire assembly to access the gas tank. That makes fueling easier and more convenient. Their adjustable lumbar support is very nice also. Your other upgrades are a matter of what you want. One suggestion I would offer is to forget about "upgrading" the lights. The 2015 lights are completely adequate and many aftermarket units tend to be far brighter than needed, and improperly aimed, but they do a great job of blinding the drivers of oncoming carts on the trail. The "entitled" people will say "so what", until they are meeting the other guy head-on! If you feel the current lights are not adequate for night driving on the trail, consider having the adjustment checked. Properly set lights will work fine and be considerate of others .
Old 02-12-2019, 04:35 PM

USB ports are used mostly for charging devices and really have nothing to do with playing music unless it's just to keep the device you are playing music from charged up. I admit that I rarely use my USB port but I live where I can't yet ride very far or long and I expect the use of those to change when the distances are further. The upgraded speedos have other features besides just your speed, like a voltmeter to show that your battery is getting enough juice to stay charged, or a clock to keep you from having to look down at a watch or a phone, but agree you can do without if you know your cart can't exceed the limit and are okay with that. No matter what headlights you use, adjust them as best you can to give you the best visibility without blinding others. Most agree that the upgraded seats, while probably the single most expensive upgrade, make the biggest difference in comfort. If you try riding from point A to B with standard seats and then make the same trip with the upgraded seats, you will notice a huge difference in comfort. If you can find them for $1000, buy them! I think they usually run closer to near double that for really good ones.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:39 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Seatbelts are a great upgrade, but I like the adjustable, not the retractable. Every time you move the retractable belts get tighter and you have to take them off and re-attach them to get them looser. Led headlights are a great update also, not only can you see better at night, they draw much less power so then don't dim when you slow down and get brighter when you accelerate. My Yamaha does not have a speedometer and I find no need to have one as long as your cart is set at a maximum speed of 20 MPH. With a good bluetooth speaker there is no need for a USB port if listening to music is what you want the USB port for. Quality aftermarket seats are easily one of the best upgrades you can make to your cart, but they cost around $1,000.

I agree, I love my bucket seats.

Was wondering..........Is there a dealer who will install upgraded seats on used carts?? Thanx
Old 02-12-2019, 05:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Priority in order:

Seatbelts A must!

Headlights Great at night

USB Very convenient

Speedo A little chilly on those cool mornings

As George Castanza would say .... " shrinkage - it's shrinkage!"
Old 02-12-2019, 07:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
As George Castanza would say .... " shrinkage - it's shrinkage!"
Old 02-12-2019, 07:42 PM

I don’t intend to highjack this thread, and if needed, (moderator) please split this off.

How do most people bring their dog with them in the cart with two people already in the cart? The upgraded (bucket) seats seem to have center arm rests. Where does the puppy ride?

(I am NOT talking about golfing or to the grocery story (Who REALLY does that!?!?!). I was thinking when we bring the little guy (27# labradoodle) to the dog park, etc.

Thanks and again, PLEASE DON’T LET ME SIDELINE THIS GOOD TOPIC!
Old 02-12-2019, 10:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,933 Times in 2,703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom C View Post
I don’t intend to highjack this thread, and if needed, (moderator) please split this off.

How do most people bring their dog with them in the cart with two people already in the cart? The upgraded (bucket) seats seem to have center arm rests. Where does the puppy ride?

(I am NOT talking about golfing or to the grocery story (Who REALLY does that!?!?!). I was thinking when we bring the little guy (27# labradoodle) to the dog park, etc.

Thanks and again, PLEASE DON’T LET ME SIDELINE THIS GOOD TOPIC!
That is actually a very good question. We have upgraded seats in both of our golf carts, and both are dog friendly so our boarder collie can sit in the middle between us. There are several options of seats available, mostly bucket seats, but also some very comfortable bench style seats. There are also bucket seats for the back rest, with a bench style for the actual seat. Both options work for the dogs and are way more comfortable than OEM seats. Our bench style seat from Ultimate golf cart seats is my favorite. Our bucket seat back, with a bench sitting area, from El Tigre is also good, but the bucket seat back does not seem to be a great fit for my back (too narrow). It is still way more comfortable than the OEM seat, just not ideal.

Neither dog friendly seat is as comfortable as our friends new cart with true bucket seats, but our dog would not ride comfortably in that cart. I would rather have a really good seat than a perfect seat, with our little girl's head resting on my leg while I drive the cart : )
Old 02-16-2019, 06:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Seatbelts are a great upgrade, but I like the adjustable, not the retractable. Every time you move the retractable belts get tighter and you have to take them off and re-attach them to get them looser.

They even tighten up when you take a deep breath. Your stomach draws in and so does the belt. I replaced mine with adjustable.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:15 AM

When I ordered my cart I had the dealer install rear speakers With Bluetooth. You can get a free subscription to Spotify If you're willing to put up with a few ads, Or you can subscribe for 10 bucks a month which is 50% cheaper than Sirius.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:04 AM
Veteran member

Just had retractable seat belts installed on my cart at the dealer in Brownwood, $149
Closed Thread

Tags
adding, cart, speedometer, suggestions, updates

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.